Locking wheel nut key

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
m7xtWvtW

Post by m7xtWvtW »

Hi All,

The unfortunate happened and got a screw in my tyre, slow puncture so only noticed it with the noise when driving. Went to local to get it repaired but couldn't find the locking wheel nut key anywhere. Bought the car new and luckily never needed it for the last couple of years. I have the emergency tyre inflation all wrapped up in the boot brand new, but the space where the key would be is empty... Anyone know where the key should be located?

Cheers!

GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Hi m7xtWvtW normally the wheel locking nut is under the floor mat where the spare wheel used to be and the only other place that sometimes they used to put them was in the glovebox. If no luck then the only option would be to contact the dealership.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Cyberbob

Post by Cyberbob »

You can always buy a replacement key there are several sellers on eBay if you cannot find it, have the wheels ever been removed during a service and the key been misplaced?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181888706574 ... xy4XNSTsku
2021B Grandland X Elite NAV
m7xtWvtW

Post by m7xtWvtW »

Thanks all, I had a thorough look, taking everything out of the boot and glovebox but can't find it. I don't think it's ever had it's wheels off as it's only done an interim and minor service so far, the existing wheel bolts still look new without scratches.

I've spoken to the dealership who say that if I can provide a photo of the locking nut they can order me a new one. Heading down there today and hopefully can get it sorted, but would take about 3-5 days I think. Luckily the tyre is not deflating but will keep an eye on it.

Will let you know how it goes, thanks!
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

👍🏻.Its good to see your local dealership are helping you.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
nigelbrooks

Post by nigelbrooks »

If you have RAC/AA membership the patrols carry an emergency 'remove all' key. It does however destroy the existing nut and you will need to buy a net set and appropriate key.

Only posting this just in case your tyre starts deflating.
m7xtWvtW

Post by m7xtWvtW »

Thanks everyone for the advice. It's been quite a mission today. Went to local dealer but after showing the photo the parts department apologised and said they couldn't do anything unless we had a code which I had feared. Said the alternative would be to have the lock drilled out but that could damage the alloy which is less than ideal to day the least, but they mentioned we could try out Peugeot.

Feeling a little disheartened decided to go and give it a shot considering the alternative. Got to the parts department and explained the situation and even though the two systems weren't fully integrated yet decided to try out our number plate on their system. A few mins later he came back with a match a has been able to order a replacement key based on the details from factory. Feel incredibly relieved! It did cost £100 for the key which he says had gone up on price considerably over the last few months. Will have to wait about 10 working days or so, but I think better than the alternative.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

That's great news you got it hopefully sorted. Ouch on the price but if its resolves the issue its worth it. I do find Peugeot dealerships know much more about the Grandland than Vauxhall since it was sold to PSA .
Cyberbob

Post by Cyberbob »

I had the same issue with my lads Alfa Romeo Mito, I somehow managed to loose the locking wheel nut after replacing all the brake pads. (think the wife put it in the bin not that she will ever admit that :mrgreen: ).

Took a picture of the bolt pattern sent it to a guy on eBay who identified the right key for £20 and sent it out and fitted perfectly. Glad you have got it sorted I decided to ditch the locking wheel nuts as a 10 year old car with little wheel value and just sold the key and locking wheel nuts and key on for £20.

I would not do that on my Grandland though although the cat seems to be of more interest to the precious metal enthusiasts...
2021B Grandland X Elite NAV
m7xtWvtW

Post by m7xtWvtW »

Good news! Got called up yesterday that the key had come through, pretty quick considering I ordered on Monday afternoon..did a quick check and it fit snugly so its the right one which is excellent. Now just need to get the car booked in for the tyre repair!

Cheers all!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post