Wet timing belt disintegrated, new engine required outside warranty

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Rita231

Post by Rita231 »

Here is the SERVICE BULLETIN LETTER FROM 2021 THAT VAUXHALL SENT TO ALL EMPLOYEES... Use this to add to your email to the office of the CEO and customer care. LET THEM KNOW YOU KNOW THEY KNOW ABOUT THE WEY BELT FAILURE! Vauxhall have just fixed mine free of charge!Image

Screenshot_2024-02-10-14-29-49-08_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Rita231

Post by Rita231 »

paul.willcox@vauxhall.co.uk - THIS IS THE CEO of Vauxhall's email address.

Email them and all CC in customer care with your reference number and also attach the Service bulletin that I've posted.

I did all of this and customer care said no charge they fitted the modified timing belt which on the 2024 plate, to my Grandland X turbo 2019 plate 1.2 last week and also cleaned my engine and also replaced the oil sump. A few thousands of pounds worth of work.

My car runs perfect now.

Rita let me know how you all get on.
Rita231

Post by Rita231 »

ashleighbirse wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:31 pm Hi there,

Could someone please help me with the email address for the CEO?

Thank you.
Page 30 of this thread I've posted the service letter and the email address of the CEO of Vauxhall - Rita.
daveb1089

Post by daveb1089 »

If you Google for the CEO of Vauxhall it will show that it’s James.taylor@vauxhall.co.uk. I made the mistake of emailing paul.willcox and never got a reply. Possibly because it was a complaint about the major hash up of the wet belt situation and Vauxhall’s way of trying to squirm out of paying for their own problems caused by inferior materials and the use of the wrong oil. Had I have been sending him a complementary email, maybe I would have had a reply? Purely my opinion of course😜.
Grandland X 1.2 20 (70) Elite Nav Premium Turbo, LED Headlights, 8 Speed Gearbox. Moon Roof 19” wheels, Folding/Dipping Door Mirrors, Heated and Ventilated Leather Seats, Heated Flat Bottomed Steering Wheel. Foot-kicker Boot Opener, Blue
Rita231

Post by Rita231 »

Oh yeah I think I sent it to James Taylor too! My bad! Honestly just send it to both!! And add the customer services into the email too.
Kirsty86

Post by Kirsty86 »

Hi all, I have been waiting until mine was all sorted before writing on here as didn’t want anything affect the outcome, silly I know. When my Vauxhall grandland x turbo 2018 went into limp mode on the motorway with engine warning lights I was shocked and quite frankly scared. Same scenario as a lot of others, engine warning light appeared, then another saying stop vehicle then went into limp mode.

I rang Vauxhall who said the same to me as others had heard, they needed to get it in for a diagnostic check before they can confirm what the issue was (another Vauxhall approved garage had already confirmed to me it was the disintegration of the wet cam belt). Had to wait two weeks to get it into the dealership to be checked, was without a car and had to arrange our own recovery.

To be fair though as soon as it went in and was confirmed as wet cam belt fault evans halshaw said to us this is a known issue and we need to report it to customer services and get them to pay for the fault. The garage advised this is a well known fault and that they would rather customer services paid for it than take our money. They sent all the paperwork over to them and customer services agreed to cover the £1600 cost in full. We had around a 5 week wait for one part but have got our vehicle back today all repaired at no cost to us. We were put into a courtesy car for the duration that our car was in the garage, although we did have to wait a week for this but just thankful we got one.

We were advised that them covering the costs was a gesture of good will as it was outside the 6 years or 40,000 miles warranty on the parts. When we originally called to report this our car was 6 years and 2 days old and had done 40,500 miles so I kindly asked them not to call the fact that they were rectifying their fault a gesture of good will.

We thought we would have a fight on our hands given the comments on here and such differing stories but thankfully ours was easier than we thought.

Vauxhall should be recalling these before it gets to this stage, it’s outrageous they aren’t. Thankful to have my car back but not sure how long we’ll be keeping it.
Adzkyle

Post by Adzkyle »

I had no such luck. Despite showing them the same document above I was forced into paying for the labour costs and they picked up the cost of parts as a goodwill gesture as they have “no obligation” to fix this issue. Absolute joke of a company that they pick and choose who to help. 2 months with no car because of this and then made to pay for their faulty parts. I think I will need to contact the Motor ombudsman. Email ceo etc and never got a response. Woeful customer service.
Lewysbee

Post by Lewysbee »

Hello first post here was looking at buying a grandland hybrid 2021 and newer so was searching if there was any issues with the car and seen a lot of posts talking about this issue. Does this issue effect newer models?

I have just gone through 7 months of trying to return my golf mk 8 due to travel assist and steering wheel issues that effects a lot of golf mk 8s and finally got a full refund for it.

Thanks
Rita231

Post by Rita231 »

Kirsty86 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:26 pm Hi all, I have been waiting until mine was all sorted before writing on here as didn’t want anything affect the outcome, silly I know. When my Vauxhall grandland x turbo 2018 went into limp mode on the motorway with engine warning lights I was shocked and quite frankly scared. Same scenario as a lot of others, engine warning light appeared, then another saying stop vehicle then went into limp mode.

I rang Vauxhall who said the same to me as others had heard, they needed to get it in for a diagnostic check before they can confirm what the issue was (another Vauxhall approved garage had already confirmed to me it was the disintegration of the wet cam belt). Had to wait two weeks to get it into the dealership to be checked, was without a car and had to arrange our own recovery.

To be fair though as soon as it went in and was confirmed as wet cam belt fault evans halshaw said to us this is a known issue and we need to report it to customer services and get them to pay for the fault. The garage advised this is a well known fault and that they would rather customer services paid for it than take our money. They sent all the paperwork over to them and customer services agreed to cover the £1600 cost in full. We had around a 5 week wait for one part but have got our vehicle back today all repaired at no cost to us. We were put into a courtesy car for the duration that our car was in the garage, although we did have to wait a week for this but just thankful we got one.

We were advised that them covering the costs was a gesture of good will as it was outside the 6 years or 40,000 miles warranty on the parts. When we originally called to report this our car was 6 years and 2 days old and had done 40,500 miles so I kindly asked them not to call the fact that they were rectifying their fault a gesture of good will.

We thought we would have a fight on our hands given the comments on here and such differing stories but thankfully ours was easier than we thought.

Vauxhall should be recalling these before it gets to this stage, it’s outrageous they aren’t. Thankful to have my car back but not sure how long we’ll be keeping it.
Same, I think I'll be parting with mine too before any other issues arise.
Rita231

Post by Rita231 »

Adzkyle wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:29 am I had no such luck. Despite showing them the same document above I was forced into paying for the labour costs and they picked up the cost of parts as a goodwill gesture as they have “no obligation” to fix this issue. Absolute joke of a company that they pick and choose who to help. 2 months with no car because of this and then made to pay for their faulty parts. I think I will need to contact the Motor ombudsman. Email ceo etc and never got a response. Woeful customer service.
Keep fighting, as they KNOW about the fault and are choosing not to help customers this car and the crossland X should have been recalled a LONG time ago!!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post