Wet timing belt disintegrated, new engine required outside warranty

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Rita231

Post by Rita231 »

Today! Vauxhall agreed to pay for the repair toy car IN FULL!! for the same problem the oil pressure warning light so everyone write to the office of the CEO as I did also attach the service warning letter from 2021. It's worked! They are repairing the car FREE of charge for me, I don't have to spend a pound of my money. As I've only had the car 14 months it's 2 Months out of warranty 40 and 69 miles on the clock and I've got the DREADED oil pressure warning fault on the car and it goes into limp mode every few metres so don't give up PEOPLE. Let them KNOW you KNOW about the cars faults and the the Hundreds of other owners who are suffering and vauxhall are charging thousands for a factory fault to repair.

Chow123@

Post by Chow123@ »

Hi all, just an update for everyone ref my last entry.
I decided to keep the car just due to the fact that it was too much of a headache to take it back and I love the car and haven’t been able to find one that I love for some time. I brought it from a garage 120 miles away.

I took the car to Vauxhall to put the vehicle on the diagnostics machine due to an oil level low light coming on intermittently since I brought it after a few days. The oil was a good level each time I checked it.
When I booked it in I told them that I was aware of the wet belt issue and the service bulletin that had gone round to garages about it. I asked if they could check the wet belt.
Apparently my oil was low…although they only needed to fill it up with under a litres worth of oil so I really don’t see why this would be classed as low however they did state that they checked the belt, their device came back ok but when they carried out a visual check they could see some cracks.
They said that they would check the oil sump. Low and behold…guess what?? The sump had debris in and then they checked the wet belt properly and they said it was it needed replacing. My car has done 30,200 and is a 20 reg. I have only had it 3 weeks with the last week sorting all this out.
£880 in total but I am lucky it is still under the 30 day warranty from the sales garage so I said I would be taking it back if they didn’t pay for it.
I believe that unless I mentioned the belt to Vauxhall and let them know that I knew, I think they would have just said it’s low on oil, filled it up and sent me on my way for me to have major issues with it further down the line.
I’ve been lucky enough to speak to a mechanic through a friend who has just had an issue with the same car, mileage and year so I then found this group and saw everything that had been going on. Without that I would have been none the wiser and had a lot of my own money to pay out.
In checking the log book it looks like it had the wrong oil in for the first 2 years which hopefully is what has caused the problem. Fingers crossed the new one with the correct oil in does not cause me any further issues down the line.
Vauxhall told me that the belt should last for 64,000 miles or 6 years, whichever is sooner.
Hope you all have success with it in the future. I have been going out my mind with it all the last week and I knew I would be covered by the garage so I feel for the rest of you who haven’t got a warranty. Good luck

———————————————
Hi all, I have recently brought a Grandland X 1.2 turbo. 2020 plate with 30,000 miles.
The oil level low light has been coming on intermittently for about a week now and after some research online I have found this group.
I have only had the car 2 weeks so it’s disappointing that I have issues with it already. From what I have read on here it seems to start with an oil “pressure” light rather than a “level” light so I may be wrong for my one and it might just be something simple.
I’m in a quandary as have the 30 day cooking off period on the vehicle so after seeing all these comments I’m thinking of rejecting the car to the sellers. The problem I have really is that I won’t have a car and I paid my new one on PCP so I could be without a car for a while anf cant guarantee I would get another loan so soon after taking this one out.
I would like to think I would be covered for the wet belt by the selling garage due to how new the sale is so that will be fine but I suppose my worry would be - what’s gonna stop it from happening in another 30K? (For me that’s only 2 1/2 years 😢
I was planning on keeping the car for just under 4 years due to being on PCP.
Does anyone know about whether VX have made any improvements with these belts in order to make them last longer?
Someone has advised to get the oil changed every 5 months going forward but I am not sure if that’s a bit excessive.
Chanchan80

Post by Chanchan80 »

Thats great rita231, glad there fixing in full, where did you find the address for the ceo and the service warning letter for 2021?
Sandwich1987

Post by Sandwich1987 »

Hello everyone,

My wife’s car has had the dreaded blocked oil ways due the belt and ended up with metal shavings throughout the engine apparently, and vx have offered to fund 70% of the bill which leaves 2.5k, is it worth going back to them and refusing that due to well documented issue or are we at risk of being then offered nothing?
Chow123@

Post by Chow123@ »

Email the CEO of Vauxhall and complain about it. How many miles has it done and what age is the vehicle? Has it been fully serviced?
Have you seen the service bulletin that was sent round to garages?
Chow123@

Post by Chow123@ »

@sandwhich1987
Email the CEO of Vauxhall and complain about it. How many miles has it done and what age is the vehicle? Has it been fully serviced?
Psiucp

Post by Psiucp »

I am so glad I came to this group.
I have V Grandland X turbo plate 2020, full service history, first with Vauxhall, rest of them with local garage as our local Vaxhual closed post pandemic.
Oil pressure came up. Took to local garage who advised got to Vauxhall. I can't drive a car, awaiting RAC to pick up the car and will try to fight the battle of reduce costs.
I would really appreciate help with this!
Thank you
Chanchan80

Post by Chanchan80 »

Chow123@ wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:15 am Email the CEO of Vauxhall and complain about it. How many miles has it done and what age is the vehicle? Has it been fully serviced?
Hey do where would I find the CEO email address? No I haven't seen the service bulletin are you able to post or email myself it?
Chow123@

Post by Chow123@ »

@chanchan80. Email me and I’ll send you what I have managed to find out
Choward123@hotmail.co.uk
Chanchan80

Post by Chanchan80 »

Chow123@ wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:00 am @chanchan80. Email me and I’ll send you what I have managed to find out
Choward123@hotmail.co.uk
Thanks chow123 iv sent u a wee email

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post