Navi5 Intelilink has frozen - any ideas?

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
WillieC79

Post by WillieC79 »

Hello,
The above infotainment screen has "frozen" insofar as it will not react to anything requiring a touch to the screen. So no SATNAV and radio stations cannot be changed. The car is booked in to a main dealer on 9th May for a different problem, and they say they will look at this during this visit, but cannot guarantee to fix the problem on that day. The urgency is that I have a ferry to France booked on 16th May for a 10 day family holiday.

I have seen Youtube videos on how to reset the Navi4 version, but nothing for Navi5. Someone has told me that there are "Expert Codes" which can be used to effect a reset
Can anyone help?

GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Hi WillieC79

If you hold down the Phone button for around 5 seconds this should force the system to restart and hopefully resolve your issue.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
WillieC79

Post by WillieC79 »

Many thanks GrandlandX68, but the suggestion has not been effective.

It did appear to reboot the system, as the infotainment screen went blank, & after a few seconds the Intellilink and the Vauxhall logos came up on the screen - but the screen remained unable to accept any touch commands.
Also I did notice, that on using the voice commands from right-had stalk next to the steering column, that my previous addresses had been cleared (no worries there) - but it did evidence that a reboot had been done.

Do you have any other suggestions?
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

I would try this again with the phone button.

One option you could try is to see if Vauxhall Update has any new software for your system.

You could also try disconnecting the car Battery leaving it for a while then reconnect it and leave it for a while as it needs to settle then start the car see if this works.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
WillieC79

Post by WillieC79 »

Hello again Grandlandx68,

Many thanks again for your follow up post, but regrettably I have still been unable to solve the problem.

Firstly, I tried a few more times holding down the telephone button for 5 seconds, & again although it seemed to reboot the system, the touch screen remained “frozen”.

I then tried disconnecting the battery and waiting 10 minutes or so, then reconnecting it, again waiting 10 minutes or so, before restarting the engine etc., but again the fault remained.

I then searched for appropriate updates, and I found an update “Software of the Touch Screen” Its reference is 21.08.87.32_Nac-r1) and its size is given as 2.54GB. There was also a map upgrade available, but I ignored this in the interests of time.

The download to my PC (incidentally I recently upgraded it to Windows 11) seemed to go OK, but problems arose when I tried to copy the file to the USB . After a very short space of time I got the message “Writing error -an error occurred when copying files. Please check available space on target disk”.

I tried 3 different USB of varying capacities, but all had the same problem.

Do you think Windows 11 could be the problem? Also the largest capacity USB I tried using was a Samsung 64GB and after it was formatted the “allocation unit size” was stated as being 128kb – could this be at all relevant?

If Windows 11 is the problem, I have been trying to do the same exercise on a laptop, but I am having extreme difficulty in downloading the “Vauxhall_Update.exe” file.

Once again, many thanks for your help so far; and anything further would be greatly appreciated.

WillieC
WillieC79

Post by WillieC79 »

Following my last posting yesterday, I have managed to download the update “Software of the Touch Screen” (reference is 21.08.87.32_Nac-r1) on a laptop using Windows 10, and it appears to have worked in copying to a USB.

This morning, when trying to affect the update in the car, I got the following message almost immediately:

“Update 001315031613548831 present in the medium will require at least one restart. Continue ? Yes or No “

However because the Touch Screen is still “frozen” tapping “yes” has no effect !!

As I mentioned in earlier post, the car is booked in to a dealership on 9th May for an other issue, but they have said they may not have time to look at this problem.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

WillieC79
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

WillieC79 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:51 pm Hello again Grandlandx68,

Many thanks again for your follow up post, but regrettably I have still been unable to solve the problem.

Firstly, I tried a few more times holding down the telephone button for 5 seconds, & again although it seemed to reboot the system, the touch screen remained “frozen”.

I then tried disconnecting the battery and waiting 10 minutes or so, then reconnecting it, again waiting 10 minutes or so, before restarting the engine etc., but again the fault remained.

I then searched for appropriate updates, and I found an update “Software of the Touch Screen” Its reference is 21.08.87.32_Nac-r1) and its size is given as 2.54GB. There was also a map upgrade available, but I ignored this in the interests of time.

The download to my PC (incidentally I recently upgraded it to Windows 11) seemed to go OK, but problems arose when I tried to copy the file to the USB . After a very short space of time I got the message “Writing error -an error occurred when copying files. Please check available space on target disk”.

I tried 3 different USB of varying capacities, but all had the same problem.

Do you think Windows 11 could be the problem? Also the largest capacity USB I tried using was a Samsung 64GB and after it was formatted the “allocation unit size” was stated as being 128kb – could this be at all relevant?

If Windows 11 is the problem, I have been trying to do the same exercise on a laptop, but I am having extreme difficulty in downloading the “Vauxhall_Update.exe” file.

Once again, many thanks for your help so far; and anything further would be greatly appreciated.

WillieC
Hi WillieC79

Sorry to hear your still facing issues.
Windows 11 shouldn't be an issue with updates as it worked fine on my pc.
The Vauxhall Update file should download with ease. There is a forum topic which has the link for downloading it.

It does sounds like the screen may need to be replaced as its lost the touch function but I haven't heard of this before.

Do any of the buttons below the screen work? Does it change screen if you do or stay the same.
If you use the Audio controls on the steering wheel does it work? or stay the same
WillieC79

Post by WillieC79 »

Hello Again,
I did eventually get the Vauxhall Update file to load, and I have now managed to download on to two separate USB's both the maps update and the Touchscreen update. However, the opening screen on both requires to tap on the "yes" or "no" options to proceed, but as the screen is still frozen, I cannot do this.

I am not sure what you mean when you say "buttons below the screen", but I can confirm that the audio controls DO function using the controls on the steering wheel.

As I mentioned earlier, the car is booked-in to a main dealership on 9th May for a petrol consumption issue, and I have asked that this touchscreen issue be looked at also. They have said they will try if time constraints permit. I have to admit that Service Reception is particularly unhelpful, and is simply not interested in the fact that I am going to France in the car on 16th May!!
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

That's good then.

Does the screen change if you click the phone button nav or nav button etc below the screen ?

It sounds like either the touch function has stopped working which I have never heard of or maybe the screen needs calibrating

I have found that with a dealerships I used then found another one which sorted my issues straight away.
It shouldn't take them long to look at the screen as there's only so many test/checks they can do.
YorkshireLass

Post by YorkshireLass »

Hi WillieC79,

I am wondering if you had any joy with your frozen screen at the dealers today? We have exactly the same problem. We've tried checking fuses and disconnecting/re-connecting the battery but no change. My local Vauxhall dealer wants to charge £89 just to diagnose the problem!