Brake discs not lasting long

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
ianwat23

Post by ianwat23 »

Has anyone else had a problem with the rear brakes? I had a set replaced under warranty when I bought the car the discs were blue and warped so bad the car bounced when braking at any speed.
The new ones are squealing like mad and are now badly scored and grooved, I’ve only done 7,500 miles since December 2020 and don’t drive around like I’m in a rally car but the rear brakes aren’t up to the job by the look of it. My front discs look as good as when I first bought it.
I’m contemplating buying a set of performance discs and pads all round as they seem to last a lot longer than the original items. I had a full vxr set on my last car and they were still going strong after 3 years.
Is there a bigger set of rear brakes available for a grandland x??

Cyberbob

Post by Cyberbob »

Nope never had an issue, either you pads are worn or there is grit that has got between the pad and disk. If squealing is just before you come to a stop some copper grease is most likely needed on the anti-rattle clips.

From what you describe better off getting new disks and pads fitted but seek a reputable opinion. Grandland X use the same standard size disk/pads/callipers as the Peugeot 3008, both use only one size front and rear across the range. But there may be upgrade options out there for the 3008.
2021B Grandland X Elite NAV
ianwat23

Post by ianwat23 »

ImageI agree. I’ve never had a set of brakes in any of my car be like this after less than a year and a half.
As far as I know with paperwork to back it up, drive Vauxhall Hartlepool fitted a full set of rear discs and pads, but the way they look now they’ve only changed the discs and re used the old pads.

image.jpg

Cyberbob

Post by Cyberbob »

I don't think they could have put on new pads looking at that and the disks do seem more worn and rusted than I would have expected for 7500 miles look closer to 20-30,000 miles as the wear lip is quite prominent????
Cyberbob

Post by Cyberbob »

Here is ours's at one year old and 5600 miles.

IMG_0772.jpg

ianwat23

Post by ianwat23 »

The discs were definitely changed December 2020 as the original ones were blue and seemed bent due to the vibrations when slowing down at any speed.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post