Tailgate/Boot will not open

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
MyCanSeeYou

Post by MyCanSeeYou »

Hi everyone,

I bought a used diesel Grandland X 1.5 Turbo 6 months ago. I unloaded my boot, went away for 2 days and I could no longer open my boot. I do not have a powered boot.
I drove for about an hour and still couldn't open my boot.
Since then, I tried to open it to no avail, and now the boot says that it's open, resulting in my car not being able to lock. I tried various different options with my key but nothing worked.
I have also tried opening and closing all other doors multiple times, and disconnecting the battery.
I opened the panel on the inside of the boot but could only access the rear windscreen wiper motor. I did notice shards of glass on a label of some sort that also looked like they had fallen onto the latch assembly.

Is there a way I can open the boot manually?

TLDR: Boot wouldn't open/unlock -> boot says it's open and still won't open -> car won't lock

Thank you.

DSC_0818.JPG

DSC_0817.JPG

jw021979

Post by jw021979 »

You could try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to see if that resets things. If you do this the car won't start for about 20 minutes.
MyCanSeeYou

Post by MyCanSeeYou »

jw021979 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:52 pm You could try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to see if that resets things. If you do this the car won't start for about 20 minutes.
Thanks for your reply, I did try that and I'm afraid that it didn't work either.
Jw427

Post by Jw427 »

Have you not taken this back to the VX dealer, warranty issue as sounds like the latch is knackered
Topaz Blue (MY2018) Grandland X Elite Nav 1.2t - The last owner ticked most of the extras boxes 8-) 8-)
MyCanSeeYou

Post by MyCanSeeYou »

Jw427 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:28 am Have you not taken this back to the VX dealer, warranty issue as sounds like the latch is knackered
Thank you, my manufacturer warranty ran out but finally had it booked in for a check today. There was debris stuck in the latch, most of it which was glass. Even after it being looked at, I noticed a rattling sound whenever opening and closing the tailgate too.

I since have been trying to get in touch with the dealership about this.

Thank you everyone for your help

Also, the mechanic mentioned that the way he opened the latch was with a metal object from the outside to slide it open. When opening it he heard a crunching noise and all the debris fell out.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post