Stop / Start issues

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Hi All, my car is booked in for a first service next week and they are going to plug it in to the diagnostics machine as my stop start still doesnt work. I too have zero showing on the info panel and a green eco flashing light on the dash. I will keep you all updated with what the dealership tell me......but i agree ITS NOT GOOD is it. !!!!!
Grandland Sport Nav, diesel auto. Black.....march 2018

Deleted User 409

Post by Deleted User 409 »

The stop/start does seem rather erratic. My general driving is mainly local. In addition I have a mobility scooter hoist fitted which obviously takes power from the battery and is used when the engine is off. The dash cam is also wired in and goes into a limbo parking mode. Having left the car in the garage for 4 days I found that the stop/start did not come function. However, once I drive for say 20 miles it does start working again. I suppose it's doing the right thing in protecting the battery power.
satellitemandaz

Post by satellitemandaz »

Hi All,
My first service was due so when I booked it in, I told them about the STOP/START problem , when I left it was 15 degs , full tank , level road nothing switch on temperature normal , the day I took it for the service it was 6 degs 1/2 a tank fan on and it work all the way to Vauxhall, after the service they tried it in the car park and could not fault it , not worked since however someone we know has a Kia works all the time, Vauxhall pull your finger out sort it....
Sport NAV 1.2T diamond cut wheels, topaz blue, upgrades side steps, wind deflectors, mud flaps.
satellitemandaz

Post by satellitemandaz »

UPDATE
Did not work all day today , so I dropped in to Vauxhall and they took it for a drive also did not work , so the mechanic took it for a drive and it worked fine ?
They basically said it's temperamental, the battery has to be at about 14 volts, it also thinks if it's cold outside you will be putting the heating on so also stops it working ? I will have to put my battery charger on it and see what happens
Sport NAV 1.2T diamond cut wheels, topaz blue, upgrades side steps, wind deflectors, mud flaps.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Hi all, well took my Grandland into the dealership to have its first service, and to get them to look at the stop/start that isnt working. The dealership did a diagnosis check and it came back showing low voltage....... so its obviously down to the battery not charging enough for the stop/start to work. Having spoken to friends who have different manufactured vehicles, they cannot believe that i have this problem with such an up to date vehicle. Come on Vauxhall, how about sorting this issue out. !!!!!
There is so much equipment that uses the power from the battery, running lights, mirrors, boot hatch etc, im thinking that maybe the workings of the battery and charging system isnt capable of returning any charge used quickly enough.
It doesnt seem to matter whether i use the vehicle on long journeys or short trips, the stop/start does not work. :oops: :oops:
onefred

Post by onefred »

I had the exact same problem, when I got in the car, it displayed ECO Mode, and the start stop wouldn’t work either.
Took it in to dealer for its first service, for them to investigate, same issue, battery voltage was low, and checked where it could be draining power from, no avail, eventually a new battery was ordered ( s/s batteries are 5 x more expensive than standard car batteries )
Resolved........for now !

Grandland Elite Nav 1.2
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Hi, you were obviously very luck to get a new battery from your dealership. The advise i was given was to try not to drive with the heater and radio on................ what a load of rubbish. I understand that the Grandland has alot of things that use power, tailgate, running lights, mirrors etc, but Vauxhall should be 100% sure that the battery is adequate to keep the stop/start working. I have numerous friends who have stop/start on different makes of cars and none of them have ever had this issue. I find it very embarrassing, expecially on a car that costs over 27k. :oops:
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Hi Guys. Today i have contacted Vauxhall complaints to advise them of my frustration over this Stop/Start issue. I advised them that this is not just an issue that i have got, but that many other Grandland owners are having the same issue.
Come on guys, give Vauxhall complaints a ring, lodge your complaint, and then hopefully, fingers crossed, together we can get something sorted. :D
spiro

Post by spiro »

I don't know much about car electrics but could it be that the altenator is not powerful enough to keep the battery charged when all the electric gizmos are switched on? Just a thought.
2019 Grandland X Tech Line Nav 177PS Diesel Automatic with the all road pack
Deleted User 549

Post by Deleted User 549 »

spiro wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:16 pm I don't know much about car electrics but could it be that the altenator is not powerful enough to keep the battery charged when all the electric gizmos are switched on? Just a thought.
It could be that spiro, also the amp/hour rating of the battery might be lower than ideal causing the battery voltage to drop too fast. I haven’t had a problem with the s/s yet but I’ve only had my gl for 2 weeks. I had a Corsa D and E which had s/s and never had a problem with them.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post