Stop / Start issues

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
thomas98

Post by thomas98 »

That's an Enhanced Flooded Battery. It is not a AGM battery.if they have told you it is they are lying.

Lock-N

Post by Lock-N »

Thank you yes dealership said it’s an AGM Battery so I’ll be back to them the Lying C - - - S
2019.Vauxhall Grandland X Elite Nav White. 1.2 Turbo Panoramic Roof-Wind Deflectors- Mudguards-window shades-& Side Step

Now got Grandland 2022 White & Black The Facelift model GS Line Wind Deflectors Fitted Rear Sun Shades Mudguards Side Step
Deleted User 409

Post by Deleted User 409 »

A friend suggested writing to Honest John web regarding the batteries to see if he was aware of this problem. His reply was that he'd heard of this specifically related to the Grandland X, Peugeot 3008, (there's a surprise). and the Citron C5 Aircross. He also stated with regenerating alternators low mileage use does not recharge the batteries of a lot of cars sufficiently. As regards the AGM battery he guessed a higher capacity battery would require a higher output alternator that would effect the fuel economy and emissions of the car.
However, my reading of the Varta web information seems to state it's the battery construction using absorbent glass fleece bounding the electrolyte that makes it more efficient and not increased capacity.
Lock-N

Post by Lock-N »

Time for customers to contact Watchdog The more the better and they might just take up the battery problem
2019.Vauxhall Grandland X Elite Nav White. 1.2 Turbo Panoramic Roof-Wind Deflectors- Mudguards-window shades-& Side Step

Now got Grandland 2022 White & Black The Facelift model GS Line Wind Deflectors Fitted Rear Sun Shades Mudguards Side Step
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I did suggest way back that we should all get together and contact Watchdog about this issue. Sometimes when these problems go out into the public domain these large companys do actually admit that there is an issue.
I just think its really bad business from Vauxhall that they do not admit this issue and try to solve it. There attitude has certainly made me rethink which car to purchase in future, and it wont be a Vauxhall. !!!
Grandland Sport Nav, diesel auto. Black.....march 2018
Lock-N

Post by Lock-N »

I know of a lot of Vauxhall customers whom have drove Vauxhall’s for many many years will not buy from them since the PSA Group took over as you can see on the Grandland some french parts cheep and nasty Time for our next car not to be french
Regarding my new battery I really have not tested it out yet to see how it lasts as I can’t drive for 4 to 6 weeks After surgery so only tried it out on 1 short journey before I parked it up till I can drive

Deleted User 409

Lock-N regarding your parking the car for 4 to 6 weeks, I'm in a similar position in that I'm due for a hip replacement op on 27th. Told not allowed to drive for 6 weeks. Car will be parked in garage for this time. As the garage is in a block there is no power to charge battery. I asked the service department how long will battery last just sitting there and was told around 2 to 3 weeks as there are still systems receiving power. Fingers crossed they are wrong about this as they are about other things. Option is to get someone to start car so is can be run for a while.
Lock-N

Post by Lock-N »

I let it sit for 3 weeks and ok started no problem .i let the engine tick over for 10 to 15 mins so should be ok my car is parked outside so yours should be A ok sitting for 6 weeks .But if your worried get the wrong started for a while but if my car wasn’t parked at my home I’d not worry as I’m sure it will start first time after 6 weeks
Forgot to say Hope your hip replacement goes ok You get back behind the wheel .I can’t wait.I feel like a prisoner.Cant get out

Dag Hammar

Post by Dag Hammar »

With regard to the comment by Ken-A, above, I have a question that someone may have the answer to. If you have to leave a Grandland X with it’s electromechanical handbrake on for a few weeks, just suppose for a moment that the battery drains completely. You left the car with the handbrake on but now there is no power going to it. Does it release itself as there is no power to hold it on ? OR does it remain firmly held on ? The reason that I question this is two-fold. If the lack of power releases the brake the car could move if not on level ground ( so best to leave it in gear ) if, despite the lack of power the brake is still firmly on that could cause a problem if you wanted to manually push the car to a more convenient position in order to get jump leads on to it.
Also, with regards to placing a GLX in a garage for a while, if the passenger side is tight against the wall and the battery did drain to nothing bear in mind that the passenger door needs to be opened to allow you to pull the bonnet release. Perhaps one of those battery packs that plug into the 12volt socket would save the day in this situation.
Deleted User 409

Lock-N, many thanks for that. Can't say I'm looking forward to it, especially over Christmas, but could not turn it down when hospital phoned.
As for the car I'm hoping to get a friend to start it for me so it can run for a while a couple of times. Fingers crossed. Could do without this S/S problem.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post