Differences between 18 and 68 grandland

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Ricksta

Post by Ricksta »

David124
Got your PM, but it won’t let me send a reply!
I noticed the noise as soon as I took delivery. I also had an issue with the radio system not syncing my phone contacts. I took delivery on the Saturday. I returned my car on the Tuesday for them to attend to the radio. I also told them about the whining noise.
When I collected my vehicle, the garage admitted there was a noise, but they were unsure where it came from. They were asked by Vauxhall to carry out noise tests and had to send recordings of the noise to HQ. They said it was too awkward to achieve this. They then said that Vauxhall had suggested a replacement gearbox to “try” and get rid of the noise.
Having spoken to Citizens advice and Consumer Goods People, I wrote an email to the garage and said that on day 6 of my statutory 30 day period, I was Rejecting the vehicle as faulty.
The garage spoke to HQ And they then offered me a discount if I keep the vehicle with a new gearbox. I suggested the current gearbox could be causing other engine issues and still wanted a replacement “Like for like” vehicle.
This is the legal requirement. The garage has now got another vehicle to the same spec. I have test driven it and noise appears ok at present. When I take delivery in two weeks time my 30 day period will recommence at day 7. I therefore have three weeks roughly to reject the new vehicle if that proves faulty too.

I hope this helps, but it does sound as though you are out of the initial 30 day period. I believe you still have some rights of rejection within the first six months, so maybe you need to contact Citizens Advise Consumer Goods for a best solution.

Good luck.
Grandland X. Sports Nav. Quartz Grey. 1.2 Petrol Turbo. With Extras.

Mrlee321

Post by Mrlee321 »

Hi.
I too have this problem with the whirling noise. I started to get on my nerves so, I booked it into the dealership. I’ve just picked it up to be told it’s a characteristic of the car & that they took out another Grandland which has the same noise. I’m not happy about it. I had a Corsa courtesy car which even drove better than the Grandland. What have they done with the gearbox it’s so jerky!! I’ve only had the car for 2 months. Worth complaining to Vauxhall hq? Any experience?
David124

Post by David124 »

Hi, unfortunately vauxhall won't do anything about it either. I tried to reject the car via the finance company but today they told me I can't do that either. They changed the gearbox for emission reasons and the new one sounds like a hoover. such a badly designed car. was told by my dealership that they wouldn't be surprised if they recalled them to sort the problem at some point. its worth contacting vauxhall I suppose to let them know you have a problem and then hopefully if enough people moan about it they'll try and sort it.
Mrlee321

Post by Mrlee321 »

Just taken it in again for the whining noise. Hope they fix it today. The technician heard the noise from the gearbox 🤞. Any updates on yours?
David124

Post by David124 »

I’m stuck with it I’m afraid. Took it to another Vauxhall garage and they also said it’s a characteristic of the car. Awful characteristic though. Can you keep me posted on omyour outcome please
Mrlee321

Post by Mrlee321 »

Vauxhall are saying they use two gear boxes in the Grandland. One a GM & one a PSA. Mine has a PSA one which whirls while driving. They call it ‘State of the art’ apparently. I’m guessing the GM one is better. Seems I’m unlucky to have the French one. The whirling noise is apparently normal operation. I’m not happy and feel I’m being fobbed off. This is definitely not ‘state of the art’. I’m gonna look into rejecting it!! I’m sending a complaint to Vauxhall & Vauxhall Finance. This noise is likely to be the bearings & who knows how long it will be until they damage the gears. Probably long enough for the warranty to elapse.
I’ve driven a family members Grandland same engine with no noise from the gearbox so it doesn’t seem fair. The garage want the reg of my family members to see which gearbox they have.
I’ll keep you updated.
Mrlee321

Post by Mrlee321 »

Mrlee321

Post by Mrlee321 »

https://www.grandlandforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=363&p=2294#p2294
David124

Post by David124 »

Thank you, can you let me know when this part is fitted please and I will try and get the same part.
Mrlee321

Post by Mrlee321 »

Hi. I’ve had the damper weights fitted for a few months now. It has made no difference. My case is currently with the ombudsman.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post