Drivers door lock - Cold weather

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Brooster

Post by Brooster »

I have discovered with the recent cold weather that if I unlock the drivers door start the car get out leaving drivers door open press the unlock button to open passenger door when I then try to shut the drivers door it will not secure. Click to unlock again and shut the door and the door won’t open. Only way to open the door is by stretching across from passenger side. When the temp rises the door appears to work properly.

Nially07

Post by Nially07 »

Hi - I am currently experiencing the same issue. Have you managed to get it resolved?
faz18

Post by faz18 »

Hi,

Today morning i opened the drivers door to then find out it wont shut. really annoying as was getting late for work, only way to shut it was to close the door hold it shut and then to press the central locking button (inside the car) do you think we should take this issue back to the dealership ?
Mansell

Post by Mansell »

I’m having the exact same issue, driver door only.
I also found out the method of pulling the door tight and pressing the inside lock button seems to sort the issue out.
I rang the Vauxhall dealer and they have booked me in but not sure if I can make the appointment, they didn’t seem to sure of the issue especially as it’s only in freezing conditions. Pretty annoying considering it’s a 68 plate at least all the other doors function correctly.
First time it happened I think I woke a few neighbors up trying to slam my door shut at 5 in the morning to go to work ><
Mpack

Post by Mpack »

I have a Crossland X purchased in May 2018. In December the first of temperatures going below zero my driver door showed exactly the same issue. This has subsequently occurred 4 times all when the temperature was below zero. Looks like this is a common fault across the range.

I contacted the Dealership, who say there are no reports of this fault recorded in the Vauxhall system. Left my car overnight in the Vauxhall Linwood Glasgow Dealership Garage and it worked fine that morning, the temperature unfortunately was not below zero. Consequently no fault was found. However, in all of this they only tried the door handle and did not investigate further than that. On visiting the Garage today they agreed to contact Vauxhall to get permission to investigate further under warranty. My car has only done 7,500 miles I may add.

Has anyone else had this response from their Dealership? So hopefully the more people who contact Vauxhall the quicker they will find a solution. I am really pissed off as you would expect a driver's door on a new car to operate effectively for longer than 7,500 miles.
new2GLX

Post by new2GLX »

Before Xmas one morning, it was really cold -6C. Because of the frost the drivers door was frozen stuck. I struggled but eventually managed to open the door. Don’t remember why I went to open passenger door from outside and had the same struggle and managed to open the door, only to find when I went to shut the door it wouldn’t stay shut. I had come across this problem before again on a frosty morning with a family memebers Juke. The dealer fiddled with lock mechanism inside the door to get the door to shut. They also ordered a new lock mechanism and fitted. So, I managed to resolve my issue that morning by fiddling with the door lock. My Vauxhall dealer probably wouldn’t do anything unless it did it all the time. I am fortunate that I don’t mind taking a look myself provided I have the time.

Have to say I still really like the GLX, it could even be the best Vauxhall I have had
Grandland X Elite Nav 1.2 in black
Been buying Vauxhall’s since 1987
Mpack

Post by Mpack »

Got word from my Vauxhall Dealer that Vauxhall have given permission to undertake investigation of my Driver's door. This entails leaving car with Dealer, them stripping door panel off and leaving it overnight at low temperature hopefully when problem occurs they are going to video inside of door to record what is happening. Car goes in on Monday so hopefully next week some time I will know more. Meanwhile the charge per day for a courtesy car is £12.OO per day, however they had said I will only have to pay £12.00 in total regardless of the time I have courtesy car as the car is under a year old.
AdrianW

Post by AdrianW »

Very useful thread. I too have a brand new Grandland and have the same driver’s door issue on a cold morning. On initially phoning. staff at the garage where I bought it, a receptionist suggested I wasn’t the first to suggest the fault, although subsequent conversations with ‘technical’ staff suggested this wasn’t the case. What to believe. I will be taking it back to the garage for a further examination, as it is still faulty. Clearly unacceptable for a two month old car.
AlanWalmsley82

Post by AlanWalmsley82 »

This has happened to me on numerous occasions. Last 2 mornings were the latest. I have contacted my Vauxhall’s dealer who has now confirmed there is an issue.
They have contacted Vauxhall’s and await a response.
As this weather is likely to be around in Glasgow for the foresable future I’m getting very angry with this. Car has only done 2000 miles.

Need more drivers to complain to get this rectified.
Mpack

Post by Mpack »

Just an update on my driver door. My Crossland X went into Arnold Clark Linwood regarding investigation of the door on 15th January. They found no fault, no surprise as the temperature was not low. Got the car back and the next morning when the temperature was below zero again the driver door would not close. Back into garage on 18th January for them to keep until the weather was below zero. They got permission from Vauxhall to investigate I.e. strip the door down and leave overnight. Dealer did suggest that Vauxhall recognised it as a problem. They then phoned to say they had found moisture in the lock mechanism and they dried out the moisture with high pressure air and greased the mechanism. Got car back on Wednesday 30th January supposedly fixed but on Thursday morning 31st January I could not get the driver door to open. Phoned the garage and took it back. Got a text message from the Garage later in the day to say that they had ordered a new lock mechanism. I will see what happens next.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post