Drivers door lock - Cold weather

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Bleesmum

Post by Bleesmum »

I am having the same issue with my 68 plate, went to the dealers today and basically no-one gave a stuff - now read all this and shall be calling Vauxhall on Monday to register the fault and start demanding a remedy - it's only done 2000 miles and no other car I have ever owned has had this fault - weirdly it doesn't always do it either- seems to be only when there is an 'air frost' rather than a really hard frost (if that makes sense)

md85

Post by md85 »

Im glad Im not going mad! I am the exact same 3 days in a row my driver door wouldnt close and would come up on the display "car door open". I knew it was obviously to do with this very cold weather we are having. It would eventually allow me to close it after my car heated up a good bit. Such a pain as the car doesnt allow you to drive unless the door is closed fully. Not ideal when your rushing to get to work.
After the 3rd morning I thought this aint right I'm going to research this and only after coming across this forum I called Vauxhall Linwood where I purchased the car. I took it in that night and left it for them to check the following morning when the temp is lowest and told them to look online if they dont believe me as it seems to be a common fault .
They called me first thing next day and agreed there is a fault. They have ordered a new lock mechanism which will take upto to 5 days. (this was yesterday) Fingers crossed this works!!
Parkman

Post by Parkman »

Mine doing the same.
I know it is not a permanent fix but in the short term, if this happens pulling the door closed and locking it using the button on the dash appears to reset the mechanism and engages the lock/latch.
Please let us know if new door lock works.
Mpack

Post by Mpack »

Just a quick update. I collected my car from Arnold Clark on Saturday morning after having a new driver door mechanism fitted. The temperature has not been low enough yet to know if fixed yet or not. I would like to add I asked the Service Desk if they had had any other cars in for this same fault and the answer was NO. Seems a bit strange as the post above says they were dealing with the same Dealership!!!!!!!!!!!
Mpack

Post by Mpack »

Forgot to mention my car went in last Thursday around 11.00 am and got the call it was ready first thing Saturday morning. I know they were keen to get the courtesy car back.
Malhor

Post by Malhor »

Thank goodness it’s not just me then, had the same problem twice last week where drivers door would not close. I got out closed the door and it locked but then I could not open it, I had to get in through the passenger door. Crazy phoned Vauxhall’s this morning and can’t look at it for 2 weeks. Only done 500 miles, not amused.
Alexander231

Post by Alexander231 »

hello, I have the same problem, only it is not connected with cold weather. I already had changed rear door lock but it didn't help. Did any of you fixed this problem and did your service figured out what was the problem?
Alybhoy

Post by Alybhoy »

me too! Sprayed a bit of WD40 in, this would "warm" lock up slightly, did the trick but next freezing day, same problem. Looks like Vauxhall are dropping their standards down to the level of their new owners!!
Brooster

Post by Brooster »

Following on from my post in Dec last year I went to my local Vauxhall dealership and showed the technician a video of the issue I was having. He informed me that he was aware of an issue with the Crossland models but wasn’t aware of the Grandland having problems. They agreed to change the locking mechanism and after a good deal of toing and froing I have had the mechanism changed. Can’t tell if this has worked as need to wait until the frost comes
Brooster

Post by Brooster »

Following on from my original post Dec 24 2018 - In January on a bitterly cold and frosty morning I fortunately videoed myself trying to open the drivers door just to have a record of what goes on. On attending my local dealer the frost had gone and I was able to show the workshop supervisor what had been happening. It was suggested that there was moisture getting into the locking mechanism and said that they would replace the it and eventually after several months the replacement part arrived.
Now waiting for the hard frost to arrive.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post