Lights interior & exterior

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Vayerr

Post by Vayerr »

Del1407 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:49 am
Hi All,

Picked up our Grandland X on Wednesday and hoping to change the interior lights to LED. Just wanted to know how to pop the dome lights out please. Just don’t want to be heavy handed and crack them open 🙄. The front dome doesn’t seem to have any recess for screwdriver etc and the manual just states workshop to replace bulbs. Any tips would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Hope you're liking your Grandland :) For such money it's quite a decent car.

Changing the interior bulbs is fairly easy. Have a look below and if you need anything else then let us know mate. This is how I did it but I suppose there might be another way as well.

Insert something flat, preferably a trim removable between the plastic trim and the headliner. Gently start twisting it.

The trim will start to come away from the headliner as the clips behind it will start to let go. They are metal so no worries of breaking them. There's 2 clips on each side so try to insert the trim remover or whatever you're using approximately where I've circled red on the picture below just to pry it away safely.

20210426_013402.jpg

20210426_013250.jpg

20210426_013327.jpg

Once you take the trim away from the headliner, you'll be able to see the entire unit from behind including the lighting unit.

You'll need to unplug the lighting unit. It's connected by 1 plug which has a small tab right in the middle of it. Very easy to undo.

Now for the lights... The unit has 2 small metal tabs on one side. If you gently push them in, the lighting unit / bulb holder will come out of the main plastic trim.

See picture below.
Blue - Clips mentioned before
Yellow - Plug
Red - Metal tabs holding the lighting unit in place

20210301_154541 (1).jpg

Once you've got it out, you'll need to take the plastic see through cover/lens off. Simply grab it anywhere and pull it off. It's held on by small yet strong plastic clips/tabs but they won't break so don't worry. Just make sure you're pulling it off straight up.

IMG_20210311_123411.jpg

IMG_20210311_123419.jpg

All that's left is taking out the bulbs and inserting new ones - they are W5W / T10 / 505 (which ever symbol you'll look for, you'll find them).

IMG_20210311_123430.jpg

Follow the steps in reverse to put everything back together. Don't be afraid to use a bit of force at times and you'll be good to go mate.

Rear dome light is just as easy. Even easier really... Just take the light cluster out the headliner by prying it away from it. Take off the clear lens off it like you've done with the front one. Don't even need to unplug anything and you might be able to take the lens off without taking the light unit out but this way I'd say it's easier.

Replace the bulbs and put it all back together. Easy. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of that I'm afraid but I'll make a video tutorial if needed later on today or tomorrow when I've got time on how to do both.

Hope this helps though.

Vayerr

Post by Vayerr »

ianwat23 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:04 pm I converted my 68 plate grandland x interior bulbs 2-3 weeks ago and now the front and rear dome lights that come in when you open the door no longer light up. The glovebox and boot leds still work. Has anyone else had this problem? If so how was it fixed?
Thanks in advance
Ian
This might sound daft but have you switched them off? Right by the lights you've got the switch with 3 positions.
- Lights off
- Lights on when doors are open
- Lights on

IMG_20210311_123759.jpg

Make sure it isn't in the position that they are completely switched off. I know this might be a bit obvious but never know.

If they have been working but stopped without you changing anything, maybe the bulbs are faulty. Have you tried replacing them again with new ones to see if they work? If not, it could be the unit itself which would suck but luckily they aren't that expensive on eBay. Or perhaps it could be a fuse.

I'd say try different bulbs and if it still doesn't work, try having a look at the fuses. I believe it'll be either fuse 21 or 36 in the glove box compartment fuse box. Alternatively if the car is under warranty then just contact Vauxhall for them to have a look.

Screenshot_20210426-011009_OfficeSuite.jpg

ianwat23

Post by ianwat23 »

Thanks for the reply. Nothing had changed since Saturday all switches were in the correct position. I had a look today and found the ends of the bulbs were either hanging off or just off altogether. I’ve replaced with new ones and they all work as they should.

image.jpg

Vayerr

Post by Vayerr »

ianwat23 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:19 am Thanks for the reply. Nothing had changed since Saturday all switches were in the correct position. I had a look today and found the ends of the bulbs were either hanging off or just off altogether. I’ve replaced with new ones and they all work as they should.
Good good. Glad you've sorted it and it was that simple. Crappy bulbs I guess but weird that this has happened if nobody was touching them or anything. As long as it's sorted, that's the main thing.
Del1407

Post by Del1407 »

Vayerr wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:58 am
Del1407 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:49 am
Hi All,

Picked up our Grandland X on Wednesday and hoping to change the interior lights to LED. Just wanted to know how to pop the dome lights out please. Just don’t want to be heavy handed and crack them open 🙄. The front dome doesn’t seem to have any recess for screwdriver etc and the manual just states workshop to replace bulbs. Any tips would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Hope you're liking your Grandland :) For such money it's quite a decent car.

Changing the interior bulbs is fairly easy. Have a look below and if you need anything else then let us know mate. This is how I did it but I suppose there might be another way as well.

Insert something flat, preferably a trim removable between the plastic trim and the headliner. Gently start twisting it.

The trim will start to come away from the headliner as the clips behind it will start to let go. They are metal so no worries of breaking them. There's 2 clips on each side so try to insert the trim remover or whatever you're using approximately where I've circled red on the picture below just to pry it away safely.

20210426_013402.jpg
20210426_013250.jpg
20210426_013327.jpg

Once you take the trim away from the headliner, you'll be able to see the entire unit from behind including the lighting unit.

You'll need to unplug the lighting unit. It's connected by 1 plug which has a small tab right in the middle of it. Very easy to undo.

Now for the lights... The unit has 2 small metal tabs on one side. If you gently push them in, the lighting unit / bulb holder will come out of the main plastic trim.

See picture below.
Blue - Clips mentioned before
Yellow - Plug
Red - Metal tabs holding the lighting unit in place

20210301_154541 (1).jpg

Once you've got it out, you'll need to take the plastic see through cover/lens off. Simply grab it anywhere and pull it off. It's held on by small yet strong plastic clips/tabs but they won't break so don't worry. Just make sure you're pulling it off straight up.

IMG_20210311_123411.jpg
IMG_20210311_123419.jpg

All that's left is taking out the bulbs and inserting new ones - they are W5W / T10 / 505 (which ever symbol you'll look for, you'll find them).

IMG_20210311_123430.jpg

Follow the steps in reverse to put everything back together. Don't be afraid to use a bit of force at times and you'll be good to go mate.

Rear dome light is just as easy. Even easier really... Just take the light cluster out the headliner by prying it away from it. Take off the clear lens off it like you've done with the front one. Don't even need to unplug anything and you might be able to take the lens off without taking the light unit out but this way I'd say it's easier.

Replace the bulbs and put it all back together. Easy. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of that I'm afraid but I'll make a video tutorial if needed later on today or tomorrow when I've got time on how to do both.

Hope this helps though.
You absolute legend! Really appreciate the step by step guide. Will give it a bash on Thursday as it’s my day off.

Thanks again 😀👍
gra108

Post by gra108 »

When do the white pindtripe lights come on. Mine have stopped working. what vo trols themdoex anybofy know
gra108

Post by gra108 »

The pinstripe lights are controlled by the Mood Lighting setting, even though in the manual it is called ambient lighting.
Mine are working ok now.
Gomoca

Post by Gomoca »

Olá,
Can anyone tell me what type of bulb is used in the sun visors, I'd like to replace them with LEDs?
Obrigado
DoctorBlue

Post by DoctorBlue »

I ordered these from ali: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... 1802gabQKZ

6614 model

They are working great.
Gomoca

Post by Gomoca »

Olá,
Thank you for your reply.
That kitt is the one I also put in. My idea was to put in reliable brands over time. The T10 bulbs I bought from them, I had the same thing happen to ianwat23, on this forum, they came loose (I think it was a welding problem?!). That's why I'm thinking of replacing them slowly, but I need to know the type of bulb?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post