Lights interior & exterior

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Vayerr

Post by Vayerr »

j11sty wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:22 pm
Aez3787 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:27 pm
j11sty wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:04 pm I managed to get the boot light out, it is a standard osram bulb unit, agree it is dull. I tried to change it to an led but the existing bulb seems to be a built in all in one unit (bulb is not replaceable) which is disappointing as I too wanted to get an led
Did you manage to change it to a led , If so what led bulb was it
Cheers
No sorry, I'm still looking for led type replacement for the inside boot light. If anyone knows it would be great to hear what it is
Hi,

If you check a couple of posts back in this topic, there's a list of all the bulbs.

The boot light bulb is replaceable. I know for a fact cause I've changed mine to an LED one (W5W bulb) and its much brighter. Wish that Grandland had a cut out for an additional one on the other side so I can add another one like I did to my Astra K 2016 I've had. Although I might cut it myself and add one. Who knows.

The bulb holder you've mentioned is one unit can be taken apart. The plastic bit comes off. There's 2 little locking clips you need to push with something small like a screwdriver and it'll pop off.

I'll be doing some stuff on my Grandland today whilst the weather is good so I'll take a picture of how to do it. If you need anything just msg me / post here. I'll be checking every now and again.

Below is a picture of the new light.

20201127_143817.jpg

20201127_143813.jpg

Vayerr

Post by Vayerr »

Here's how to replace the bulb in the boot.

1. Take the bulb holder / light cluster / light box (whatever you want to call it) out of the plastic trim / wall of the boot. To do this you need to insert a small flathead screwdriver or anything else that's narrow and flat in the little hole that I've marked red, then push away from the wall.

received_725795644766904.jpeg

2. Once you've removed the light cluster, disconnect the cable from it. You need to press on top of the white plug to release it and whilst pressing, pull the plug out.

3. You need to release two tiny plastic bits (one on each side) of the enclosure that's on the back of the light cluster. Simply press the little plastic in and at the same time slowly pull the enclosure upwards so it doesn't lock again. Do the same on the other side. If you've done it correctly it'll start to lift off the light.

received_1583081161888562.jpeg

received_471634487328414.jpeg

20210216_161300.jpg

20210216_161316.jpg

20210216_161327.jpg

4. Gently lift and pull the enclosure off the light cluster. It'll come off fully and you'll have access to the bulb.

20210216_161337.jpg

20210216_161341.jpg

5. You can replace the bulb with a different W5W type bulb. Either standard halogen or LED one. Simply pull the bulb out and insert a new one*. If you can't remove it, use a screwdriver to push the bulb out from behind.

* It's worth noting that if you insert an LED bulb and it doesn't work, try to take it out and re-insert it the other way (turn it 180° so the positive and negative are on opposite sides). It should work. If it still doesn't, try another bulb.

Personally I've used an LED one as I prefer the look of the white light and they are usually (always?) stronger than the halogen one. Got mine from Amazon. Set of 10 for £6. Currently same set is £7.50 (as of 15th Feb).

Screenshot_20210217-000012_Amazon Shopping.jpg

6. Once you've changed the bulb, put the enclosure back on. (Or don't. Whatever you prefer. Some cars don't have them so it won't hurt anyone if you chuck it in some corner of your garage.) Simply align it with the light, like it was before taking it off and press down so it locks into place.

7. Connect the cable (only one correct way to insert it so can't go wrong here).

8. Push the cable behind the boot wall. Insert the light cluster into the hole (plug first - so the side closest to the seats) and gently push the light in until it clicks.

Hope this little guide helps with the boot light! I'm planning to make a long post regarding stuff I've done to my Grandland, along with guide a on how to do those little tweaks or modifications, once I've finished everything.
j11sty

Post by j11sty »

Vayerr wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:13 am Here's how to replace the bulb in the boot.

1. Take the bulb holder / light cluster / light box (whatever you want to call it) out of the plastic trim / wall of the boot. To do this you need to insert a small flathead screwdriver or anything else that's narrow and flat in the little hole that I've marked red, then push away from the wall.

received_725795644766904.jpeg

2. Once you've removed the light cluster, disconnect the cable from it. You need to press on top of the white plug to release it and whilst pressing, pull the plug out.

3. You need to release two tiny plastic bits (one on each side) of the enclosure that's on the back of the light cluster. Simply press the little plastic in and at the same time slowly pull the enclosure upwards so it doesn't lock again. Do the same on the other side. If you've done it correctly it'll start to lift off the light.

received_1583081161888562.jpeg
received_471634487328414.jpeg
20210216_161300.jpg
20210216_161316.jpg
20210216_161327.jpg

4. Gently lift and pull the enclosure off the light cluster. It'll come off fully and you'll have access to the bulb.

20210216_161337.jpg
20210216_161341.jpg

5. You can replace the bulb with a different W5W type bulb. Either standard halogen or LED one. Simply pull the bulb out and insert a new one*. If you can't remove it, use a screwdriver to push the bulb out from behind.

* It's worth noting that if you insert an LED bulb and it doesn't work, try to take it out and re-insert it the other way (turn it 180° so the positive and negative are on opposite sides). It should work. If it still doesn't, try another bulb.

Personally I've used an LED one as I prefer the look of the white light and they are usually (always?) stronger than the halogen one. Got mine from Amazon. Set of 10 for £6. Currently same set is £7.50 (as of 15th Feb).

Screenshot_20210217-000012_Amazon Shopping.jpg

6. Once you've changed the bulb, put the enclosure back on. (Or don't. Whatever you prefer. Some cars don't have them so it won't hurt anyone if you chuck it in some corner of your garage.) Simply align it with the light, like it was before taking it off and press down so it locks into place.

7. Connect the cable (only one correct way to insert it so can't go wrong here).

8. Push the cable behind the boot wall. Insert the light cluster into the hole (plug first - so the side closest to the seats) and gently push the light in until it clicks.

Hope this little guide helps with the boot light! I'm planning to make a long post regarding stuff I've done to my Grandland, along with guide a on how to do those little tweaks or modifications, once I've finished everything.

Class job, thanks for the reply and detailed description, much appreciated. All makes sense, I did have the bulb and holder out before, it just looked like a sealed unit, so I will give that a go again.
Will the same bulbs be OK (pk of 10) to use elsewhere in the Grandland? Foot Well etc?
2020 1.5D Grandland X
j11sty

Post by j11sty »

all the external lights on my 2020 Grandland X are LED, (apart from the front fogs - think H11). Pity Vauxhall didn't have all the interior bulbs LED too, just a wee finishing touch which makes it look and feel better in all.
2020 1.5D Grandland X
Vayerr

Post by Vayerr »

j11sty wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:08 pm all the external lights on my 2020 Grandland X are LED, (apart from the front fogs - think H11). Pity Vauxhall didn't have all the interior bulbs LED too, just a wee finishing touch which makes it look and feel better in all.
Yeah it is. My Grandland unfortunately has Halogens everywhere but I am planning on changing all external lights to LED. I have so far only changed the side indicators/repeaters.

And yeah those bulbs should be fine everywhere inside. All interior bulbs are W5W apart from the 2 by the mirror in the sun visor. The only thing stopping you from using those specific bulbs somewhere is if they are a bit too long and won't fit (this is really only a problem with the dome lights as the holder for them is different). I bought 100x small W5W LED bulbs for something daft like £4 off Wish couple of years ago. So far all work hah. I've used them for my dome lights. Just browse online - there is a lot of them out there.
j11sty

Post by j11sty »

How about the front fog lights? I believe are H11, has anyone replaced these with error free led bulbs....
The 2020 Grandland X I have all the external lights are LEd with the exception of the front fog light
2020 1.5D Grandland X
Vayerr

Post by Vayerr »

The front fogs are H11, yes. I'm planning to change them soon as well.

There are 2 Grandland groups on Facebook and on one of them there's a post from someone who has changed all exterior lights to LEDs himself. It looks beautiful. Planning on doing the same. Here's a link for the video and the groups. If you look through the group or some of the replies, there's more videos from him showing the lights at night etc.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1992417 ... ?ref=share
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1269212 ... ?ref=share

He used these H11 bulbs off Amazon.

Screenshot_20210218-102043_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I bought the same but also 2 different ones and will see if A) they work and what they look like and B) whether there's any errors showing up.

Screenshot_20210218-102106_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20210218-102119_Amazon Shopping.jpg

j11sty

Post by j11sty »

Very good, that's the job! My Grandland X is black too that'll make such a difference.
Just the worry if there is error messages

I kind of swerve Facebook TBH
2020 1.5D Grandland X
Del1407

Post by Del1407 »

Vayerr wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:21 pm
j11sty wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:08 pm all the external lights on my 2020 Grandland X are LED, (apart from the front fogs - think H11). Pity Vauxhall didn't have all the interior bulbs LED too, just a wee finishing touch which makes it look and feel better in all.
Yeah it is. My Grandland unfortunately has Halogens everywhere but I am planning on changing all external lights to LED. I have so far only changed the side indicators/repeaters.

And yeah those bulbs should be fine everywhere inside. All interior bulbs are W5W apart from the 2 by the mirror in the sun visor. The only thing stopping you from using those specific bulbs somewhere is if they are a bit too long and won't fit (this is really only a problem with the dome lights as the holder for them is different). I bought 100x small W5W LED bulbs for something daft like £4 off Wish couple of years ago. So far all work hah. I've used them for my dome lights. Just browse online - there is a lot of them out there.
Hi All,

Picked up our Grandland X on Wednesday and hoping to change the interior lights to LED. Just wanted to know how to pop the dome lights out please. Just don’t want to be heavy handed and crack them open 🙄. The front dome doesn’t seem to have any recess for screwdriver etc and the manual just states workshop to replace bulbs. Any tips would be much appreciated!

Cheers
ianwat23

Post by ianwat23 »

I converted my 68 plate grandland x interior bulbs 2-3 weeks ago and now the front and rear dome lights that come in when you open the door no longer light up. The glovebox and boot leds still work. Has anyone else had this problem? If so how was it fixed?
Thanks in advance
Ian

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post