Vehicle Juddering at speed

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Bryan S

Post by Bryan S »

Hi guys, any update on this issue. We have had ours to the vauxhall garage and they were unable to find anything. 8 months later its returned a lot worse to the point the car is basically un drivable. There is no a horrible ticking sound rattling away as well and it gets worse when changing gears. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

TW1583

Post by TW1583 »

Hi
Yes our problem was finally solved. Essentially it’s linked to the regular feature on the engine management system that refreshes the particle filter in the exhaust system. About ever 250 - 300 miles, depending on the type of driving you do, the fuelling system makes the engine run hotter to recycle and refresh the particulate filter. The problem with our car was that it had a build up of carbon on the exhaust valves causing them to stick slightly and not open fully which under normal driving didn’t cause any immediately apparent problems. However when the system refreshed itself, ran hotter and produced more exhaust the sticking valves didn’t allow it to fully exhaust, which caused the juddering almost lie a missfire. As this only happened when it recycled it was an intermittent problem which was very difficult to find. I ended up keeping a log of the mileage it happened on and the dealer was able to check this against the system recycling log when they plugged it into their diagnostic computer. Took quite a while to find the issue but I was very lucky to have a really good dealership with a very determined service manager who kept going until it was solved. Hope this helps if you need more info let me know 👍🏻
Bryan S

Post by Bryan S »

I have just noticed this reply. We have had the car in the garage a further 2 times and they changed the fly wheel only for the issue to come back a few months later. The car is now out of warranty so the garage dealing with it said I would have to pay for labour on any diagnostics. After a call with Trading Stardards the garage have now passed me over to Vauxhall head office to investigate as they are at a loss to what the fault could be.
I will show them your response and see if they are able to do anything. Hopefully this could be the end of it, I'm guessing your car has been fine since?
MarkT1976

Post by MarkT1976 »

My car has been in for 4 Months while they worked on the issue and I finally got it back today. I had been having the same problem for 18 Months from 9000 miles and after a lot of effort on the dealerships part plus Video clearly showing the problem I finally have a solution.
The Exhaust Valves were intermittently sticking open causing the miss fire problem without any fault codes. Vauxhall have redesigned the valves.
When they tried to fit the new valves they discovered that the valves sticking had caused damage to the surface by excessively pitting the Aluminium. End result New Head with redesigned Valves fitted. So far no reoccurrence but I'll keep you all informed if this changes.
l666gem@hotmail.com

Post by l666gem@hotmail.com »

I have this problem on my 2018 sport nav its no longer under warranty I’ve taken it into my mechanic and it’s thrown a fault off for diesel heater malfunction. I’m going to try this and if not get the egr replaced. I’m so sad I absolutely love this car.
Bryan S

Post by Bryan S »

Thanks guys, I have shown the garage the comments about the exhaust valves but they are now looking at the turbo. My cars been in for nearly 2 weeks now, hopefully have it back soon.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Thanks for keeping us informed fingers crossed they resolve the issue for you soon.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
l666gem@hotmail.com

Mine is in Vauxhall as we speak they are replacing the ecu. It’s 2 months out of warranty but they’ve agreed to pay 80% I really hope this solves the issue
l666gem@hotmail.com

Quick update…. Car returned after new ecu, judder still present. Vauxhall have now advised nee exhaust valves and will pay 15% so I have to pay £2890. Ive opened a case with Vauxhall as this seems to be a common fault and Vauxhall have changed the design of these valves if I’m not mistaken
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Thanks for the update. I would raise this with the Vauxhall CEO office if you have no luck with Vauxhall Customer care.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post