Stop / Start Benefits?

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Blueyhills

Post by Blueyhills »

Hi

Hi

I know a lot of people seem to be having problems with their Stop / Start system

but for those who are not having problems can you tell me what real benefits you are getting by using it.

Mine is driving me mad so I keep turning it off every time I start the car now.

I only had to stop for a few seconds and it came on, so in slow moving traffic it was on off on off

It makes me look like a learner that keeps stalling :D

thomas98

Post by thomas98 »

Is yours an automatic. Mine is a manual and it will only work if it's out of gear with the handbrake on.
dbuckel

Post by dbuckel »

Mines manual needs to be out of gear clutch raised but no handbrake on. The benefit is that it can save you fuel. I only lift the clutch is I will be stopped for a time.
Blueyhills

Post by Blueyhills »

thomas98 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:04 pm Is yours an automatic. Mine is a manual and it will only work if it's out of gear with the handbrake on.
Yes mine is an automatic and it comes on within a few seconds of braking to a stop.
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

Likewise I always find when it's enabled and it stops the engine whilst I am in slow traffic, within seconds the traffic moves and so I don't think there is any benefit. In fact I think it puts more stress on the starter and belts, probably discharges the battery and uses more fuel! I usually anticipate the traffic situation and disable it most of the time, especially in motorway stop start traffic. I’d rather use an extra teaspon of fuel than put extra wear on the starter, belts, alternator and so on!
edgejedi

Post by edgejedi »

Midinotes wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:02 pm Likewise I always find when it's enabled and it stops the engine whilst I am in slow traffic, within seconds the traffic moves and so I don't think there is any benefit. In fact I think it puts more stress on the starter and belts, probably discharges the battery and uses more fuel! I usually anticipate the traffic situation and disable it most of the time, especially in motorway stop start traffic. I’d rather use an extra teaspoon of fuel than put extra wear on the starter, belts, alternator and so on!
Totally agree. 8-)
Jase
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Grandland 2018, Sport Nav 1.2 (130), Ruby Red

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post