Locking wheel nut

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Ampthill1

Post by Ampthill1 »

Just suffered a major puncture. Upon arriving sbthe tyre shop. Find to my horror there is no locking wheel but in the car. Anyone else had that problem.

Ampthill1

Post by Ampthill1 »

Now awaiting rac recovery.
Dag Hammar

Post by Dag Hammar »

Did you have to use the tyre repair kit to enable you to get to the tyre shop ? I believe that once you have used the tyre repair ‘gunge’ to enable a repair to a tyre then that tyre cannot be repaired again. Please let us know the outcome of your mishap and if you had to have a new tyre. It is rather shocking that there was not a key for the locking wheel nuts. A timely reminder to all to check that everything is with the vehicle when it is collected from the dealer or delivered to your home.
Ampthill1

Post by Ampthill1 »

Well. My nightmare continues. Upon taking the car to my local Vauxhall’s dealer. I was informed by the service dept that it is not possibly to source a replacement. In parallel I tried a independent company that sell replacements they do not sell any for Grandlands. So where do I go now. Contact customer service ? I have a temporary AA repair which is a rubber bung in the puncture hole.
Highlightuk

Post by Highlightuk »

There are a number of sellers on flea bay selling these online and seller vauxhallpartsuk say they can id the key number from a good quality photo. Another idea may be to go to a peugeot dealer in case they are a peugeot part. As a last resort, I understand these work well but you would then need to replace the bolt: https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/sockets-accessories/laser-locking-wheel-nut-remover?_br_psugg_q=locking+wheel+nut+remover
Last edited by Highlightuk on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlightuk

Post by Highlightuk »

I have just had a look at mine and it doesn't look like the standard Vauxhall one that I had on my Astra. I find it so surprising that your dealer doesn't have a complete set for just this scenario. Interestingly mine is still sealed in the original bag so I wonder how they checked the brakes in the first year service?
thomas98

Post by thomas98 »

That's easy, they don't check the brakes. You basically pay a load of money for an oil and filter change. In my case they couldn't even be bothered to do that right.
Ampthill1

Post by Ampthill1 »

The versions sold online do not work with Grandlands. It was solved by the garage drilling out all four lock nuts on the car and replacing them with new locks.
Dag Hammar

Post by Dag Hammar »

After all that, did you have to have a new tyre or was the damaged one repairable ?
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

When I took my previous Astra gtc to a Vauxhall garage for tyre changes, I forgot to let them know where the locking wheel nut adapter was in the car. To be honest I had forgotten where I had put it! When I collected the car they had put new locking nuts on it free of charge as they couldn't find the other one. So I guess they have the means to remove them if necessary.
Incidentally when I came to sell the car and tidy it out, I found the said old adaptor in the warning triangle cover compartment in the tailgate! 😁

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post