Steering column shaft and flex joint

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

I was vacuuming out the Grandland this morning and whilst cleaning the drivers footwell, I noticed that the flexible pivot joint which I assume is the steering wheel shaft where it passes through the floor, it appeared to have spots of rust on it? Just worried if thats to be expected and whether I should be concerned, given its purpose!

BAB0B7AA-73ED-475F-9589-FE2D5E532AA4.jpeg

Vainona70

Post by Vainona70 »

Looks different to my 9 month old, 9000 mile Grandland.

Steering joint2.jpg

Grandland X 1.2T 8 speed Auto Tech Line Nav (All Road pack, Park & Go pack 2 and Emergency Spare wheel)
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

Wow definitely, this is just over a year old, 20000 miles. I guess a bit of wd40 on it should keep it ok.

Simon
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

Had a peer under the seats with a torch and the same spotted rust marks are also on the exposed horizontal steel rod/tubing parts. I wonder if it was valeted or got a bit damp at some point in its past life? Doesn’t look anything more though than a bit of surface spotting so hopefully nothing to worry about. I sprayed some wd40 on the steering road/coupling so that should help. Whilst peering around n the drivers side I was also trying to figure out where the cabin pollen filters are. Looks like they would be tricky though to slide out as the pedal assembly is close and very little space to manoeuvre. Unless of course they are accessible from the passenger side?

Simon

Simon

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post