'19' plate Grandland X faults

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Johntheone

Post by Johntheone »

Hello, I purchased a used '19' plate Grandland X 1.2 Turbo with less than 4000 miles on the clock in October. The car developed a fault this month with the dashboard, it was completely dead for 20 min, but everything else worked. The dashboard came back to life around 20 min later with 3 beeps. The 1st video is of the dashboard being dead. It then returned an 'engine fault-repair needed', every time I started the car.
Took the car in and after the whole day, they said they couldn't find a fault and there was nothing wrong with the engine, as for the dashboard they said they couldn't find a fault either even though they saw the 1st video evidence. Which clearly shows the dashboard dead! I was also told Vauxhall is looking into it and will get back to them. The last comment was bring it back in if it reoccurs again as if I've got nothing better to do.
Since using the car I've noticed that on occasions when starting the car, the dashboard self-check hangs (2nd video) almost stutters for a few seconds which to me is a fault as well. It should self-check straight away! Lookers are also aware of the 2nd video which has gone to Vauxhalls.
Now as you can imagine, I'm not impressed with their service or communication. It's like being asked to be a product tester for there faulty cars. I'd welcome any feedback/ideas about what I should do next if I get no resolution? :evil:
I tried to post the videos but this site only allows jpegs.

edgejedi

Post by edgejedi »

I had the same with the Infotainment system. Eventually they replaced the whole thing after failing to trace any issue and sent off the kit to VX for diagnostics. Be persistent and keep everything in writing. I dealt with the dealer at the time who was reasonable. Id have escalated to Trading Standards if I had got no resolution but thankfully didnt get that far.

Remember, you are in warranty.
Jase
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Grandland 2018, Sport Nav 1.2 (130), Ruby Red
leng25

Post by leng25 »

Hi, had the same problem with the dashboard today, all gauges dead and driver information screen dead. Everything else seemed to work ok and the car drove ok. After 10 minutes driving, switched off the engine and restarted it. Gauges and driver information screen came on. Then got the message 'engine fault-repair needed', which now comes on each time I start the engine. Contacted dealer. Booked in for check but not till 1 June. Dealer says ok to drive till then unless there are any strange noises or performance issues. Did your problem happen again or did you get any further information or explanation from the dealer or Vauxhall?
My car is a 69 Plate Sport Nav 1.2T automatic.
Johntheone

Post by Johntheone »

leng25 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:58 pm Hi, had the same problem with the dashboard today, all gauges dead and driver information screen dead. Everything else seemed to work ok and the car drove ok. After 10 minutes driving, switched off the engine and restarted it. Gauges and driver information screen came on. Then got the message 'engine fault-repair needed', which now comes on each time I start the engine. Contacted dealer. Booked in for check but not till 1 June. Dealer says ok to drive till then unless there are any strange noises or performance issues. Did your problem happen again or did you get any further information or explanation from the dealer or Vauxhall?
My car is a 69 Plate Sport Nav 1.2T automatic.
Hi, Lookers at first said they couldn't find the fault and to run it until it occurs again and bring it in.
Luckily I noticed that on occasions when starting the car, the dashboard speedometer self-check hangs, the speedometer needle/guage stutters for a few seconds & does nothing, while the other gauges self checked.
They tried a software update to the car which done nothing to rectify the fault. They then got clearance from Vauxhall to order a complete 'Dashboard Instrument Panel' and replace it. That was in February and I'm still waiting on the part! The part was on back order and the dealership is now closed due to COVID-19.
I now just turn the ignition key to turn the electrics on and let the speedometer guage stutter on occasions and then start the engine.
If you have no joy I'd get in touch with Vauxhall customer service, which is what I did. If you need a new part expect a long wait, I was waiting 1.5 months and nothing and then COVID-19 arrived!
I hope this helps!
leng25

Post by leng25 »

Hi, thanks for the update. Do you still get the 'engine fault-repair needed' message appearing when you switch on the ignition or did the dealer clear the fault message?
Johntheone

Post by Johntheone »

leng25 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:43 pm Hi, thanks for the update. Do you still get the 'engine fault-repair needed' message appearing when you switch on the ignition or did the dealer clear the fault message?
The dealer cleared the 'engine fault-repair needed' fault message and said they couldn't find any engine fault. They thought it could have been caused by the faulty dash as they said some of the codes can be very generic.
I haven't received the 'engine fault-repair needed' fault message since, but as I said, I now start the engine in two stages until the part is replaced. I hope that then rectifies the fault, fingers crossed. Any more questions just ask! :)
leng25

Post by leng25 »

Thanks. At least I'll be able to tell the dealer that someone else has experienced the same problem. I'll also watch for the self-check hangs and stutters you are experiencing.
leng25

Post by leng25 »

Car was booked in with dealer for investigation on 1 June. Received a text saying that this would need to be rescheduled due to lockdown conditions. Awaiting new appointment. Have had the car out a number of times since the fault occurred. Fault has not happened again. Dashboard and gauges as normal, no fault indications.
Hopefully I am not tempting fate!
Johntheone

Post by Johntheone »

leng25 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:07 pm Car was booked in with dealer for investigation on 1 June. Received a text saying that this would need to be rescheduled due to lockdown conditions. Awaiting new appointment. Have had the car out a number of times since the fault occurred. Fault has not happened again. Dashboard and gauges as normal, no fault indications.
Hopefully I am not tempting fate!
Please keep me updated as I'm still waiting for the dashboard cluster to be fitted. Waiting for a phone call from Lookers about the part. I've heard nothing from them since February!
Redrider251

Post by Redrider251 »

I had engine warning light come on in my Mokka elite 68 plate after about a year. Turned out it wanted to check for computer update. Infotainment system had several issues which (even following a replacement unit) was finally fixed when dealer said there had been a loose connection.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post