Anti Roll Bar driver side front

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

Good afternoon
We've had a terrible knocking sound on our 68 plate Elite nav for just over a month.
We have just taken our car to our local vauxhall dealer Drive here in Darlington.
We left the car with them all day, they rang at 3pm to say we have an issue with anti roll bar. When my partner went to collect they also dropped in that the rear tyres were down to 3.9 and there was some corrosion on one of the rear brake pads. Now I said hold on we just paid £300 for a service 1 month ago, stupidly we never mentioned the knocking at the time, yes I know we should have, however my point is, the tyres 1 month ago were at 5 and nothing was mentioned about corrosion in brake pad, surely the tyres wouldn't have gone down that much in a month? Is there a rabbit off here? Please be kind im not very technical........

Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

Hi Vegas, believe the garage mentioned the depth of tread as an advisory. Keep an eye on them, they are legal down to a minimum depth of 1. 6mm so still road legal. One of the measurements given could be suspect as wouldn't expect such wear in a month. Assuming you are not doing huge miles.
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

Hi Vegas,
Not sure what the garage was meaning by saying the brake pad is rusting, the friction material doesn't rust. The backing plates do, over time, but generally this doesn't create any problems with the brake efficiency. The discs can show signs of discolouration, they will rust if left for any length of time but this discolouration is scrubbed off when the brakes are operated.
Would have thought, if the problem was serious the garage would suggest an immediate repair.
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

I had a strange hollow knocking/rattle in mine when going over broken road surfaces. At first I was convinced it was the rear boot floor panel. Then I thought it was the spare wheel tool kit box. After getting it checked over it was that the drop links needing replacing. Done under warranty, now it’s silent, although being super tuned now into noises I’m hearing the occasional high frequency rattle somewhere on the dashboard - I think it’s near the air vent to the left of the steering wheel, but unless I’m driving I don’t hear it so it’s extremely difficult to pinpoint. Maybe it’s some valve system inside the vent? It’s very quiet though and not a big deal.
CambsDriver

Post by CambsDriver »

I had the same problem in my 2018 Sport Nav for a few months this summer. Took it in and Vauxhall replaced the anti roll bars under warranty. But 3 weeks later the noise persists.
Any ideas?
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

Would expect the dealer to identify and sort the problem but, sadly this isn't always the case.
I presume the work done was replacement of the drop link stabilisers which connect between each of the suspension struts and anti-roll bar? The Anti-roll bar is fixed to the subframe utilizing two rubber bushes which would be replaced if the noise is deemed to be from there. If the ball joints are the cause these are easily identified for wear and free play so all said, the problem should be easily sorted.
Take it back again as it's still under warranty.
Good luck and report back on their findings please.
CambsDriver

Post by CambsDriver »

Thanks.
It's going in next week. I'll report what they find
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

👍🤞

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post