Playing music from USB (not all songs appearing)

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Unclecuddles

Post by Unclecuddles »

I am struggling to get the entertainment system read all of the music off my usb stick. It is a 64GB Sandisk mini-stick full of music, but it stops reading when it gets to the O's. Originally it went up to the P's but I removed it, formatted it and then copied all the music back but for some reason it was reading even less than before. The music is sorted into folders by artist then album, and it is in various formats, which don't appear to be an issue as I have played a lot of the music in the various formats within the A to O's without coming across an error. First time, I formatted the usb as exFat, but it didn't work, then formatted as NTFS and it also didn't work, then FAT32 using the HP pendrive toolkit (because it is larger than 32GB), which worked but only up to the O's, which is where I am now. It reads up to about 38GB of music then stops. Incidentally, I have also done a full format of the usb stick rather than quick format which I understand scans the drive for any errors, and none were found. Does anyone know what the issue is here?

By the way, I know that is a lot of music, but I just wanted to plug it in and forget about it. I didn't want to have to keep removing and changing the music whenever I got bored! Plus, all my favourites are not appearing - Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who, etc.! I am seriously considering removing my wife's and kids tunes from the usb if it is an issue limiting the number of songs or folders on the usb!

nallen132

Post by nallen132 »

maximum number of files on a FAT32 partition is 65536, also there is a maximum file name length inlcuding path 256 charaters, exceeding either of these will caause the file reading to stop
Unclecuddles

Post by Unclecuddles »

9,725 files. I can see most, if not all, of the filenames are cut to a specific length when they are too long, and there is nothing including the path that exceeds 256 characters. Not even "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict".