High Beam Assist.

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
ThirtySixteen

Post by ThirtySixteen »

High guys, I’ve checked the forum and have seen a couple of posts with the same issue as me but no real solution so I was hoping someone may know.

I have a Grandland X Elite Nav new since November.

Basically the High Beam Assist hardly ever works.
If it comes on at all then it usually switches itself off around 2 mins in to the Journey and no matter what I do it won’t activate again.

When I say it switches off I mean the green light goes from the dash and whenever I press the activate button on the stalk nothing happens.

Then the next day it won’t even activate at all, no matter how many times I press the button.

I have taken it back to the dealer who said they reset it and now it’s fine. But it’s obviously not.

I’ve cleaned the camera in the screen but this hasn’t helped.

Any ideas?

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you.

Matt.

Xubuntu50

Post by Xubuntu50 »

I too sometimes had a problem with activating high beam assist. As far as I can tell, the feature can only be enabled when the lights are set to auto and the headlights are actually on - i.e. in the dark. Probably with engine running but I can't remember. Otherwise, in daylight, nix and consequently no tell-tale light in the dash display. But you are correct to clean the forward camera screen. I noticed that even when enabled, in poor visibility the HBA feature doesn't function. Neither will it function at low speed nor if urban areas are detected nor if front or rear fogs are on.
Flashing the headlights whilst HBA is enabled has interesting consequences: low beam will switch to high and vice versa and in both cases HBA will be deactivated.
Whether enabled or disabled, the setting should be preserved through ignition switch off and switch on.
ThirtySixteen

Post by ThirtySixteen »

Xubuntu50 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:16 pm I too sometimes had a problem with activating high beam assist. As far as I can tell, the feature can only be enabled when the lights are set to auto and the headlights are actually on - i.e. in the dark. Probably with engine running but I can't remember. Otherwise, in daylight, nix and consequently no tell-tale light in the dash display. But you are correct to clean the forward camera screen. I noticed that even when enabled, in poor visibility the HBA feature doesn't function. Neither will it function at low speed nor if urban areas are detected nor if front or rear fogs are on.
Flashing the headlights whilst HBA is enabled has interesting consequences: low beam will switch to high and vice versa and in both cases HBA will be deactivated.
Whether enabled or disabled, the setting should be preserved through ignition switch off and switch on.

Hi, thank you for your reply.
Yes, I have tried at night with lights on (on auto) but still nothing. And although I realise that the full beam won’t activate in well lit areas am I correct in thinking that the green light should still be active on the dash even when the full beam is off?

Even at night, going over the minimum speed limit 90# of the time when I press the button to activate the HBA nothing happens at all.

I hate to keep taking the car back to the dealer but this feature is one of the main reason I chose the car.

Thanks again.

Matt.
Xubuntu50

Post by Xubuntu50 »

I'm sorry to hear that you still have problems even though you appear to have been doing everything right. I can only suggest that (annoyingly) it's back to the dealer and have them demonstrate that HBA is working. They will need a dark corner of their workshop, of course. I believe the tell-tale is always illuminated, even on low beam, but at the moment I can't check this because the car is snowed up in the garage. Maybe someone else can comment on the tell-tale and/or identify some required configuration that you and I have not noticed is necessary. Incidentally, I find this feature particularly good, so it's definitely worth chasing. Good luck.
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

If the hba is activated, the green tell-tale remains illuminated in the driver display. If you manually flash the headlights, the tell-tale will extinguish because this procedure deactivates the hba. Another high beam flash will reactivate hba.
I also found hba to remain activated after a switchoff then a restart.
Full deactivation is by press of the hba button.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post