Fitting a dog guard to 20129 Grandland X

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

I have had a search and although my Google-Fu is weak, have failed miserably to find a thread on this.
I bought the guard from the bay of fleas, finding a genuine GM part thanks to members here. The part number is GM 95599851, list from a dealer is £227, I got mine for £99. However it does not come with instructions, which I can't find anywhere else.
From a process of elimination, I worked out that the brackets are secured using the rubber "rivnuts" (when the screw is inserted and turned, the thread in the end of the rivnut pulls the body towards the bracket, expanding it like a rivet and holding it against the panel. I didn't actually know if I had to take the boot trim off to put the flat head of the rivnut inside the panel and then screw through the panel, or drill a bigger hole and leave the head on the outside. Obviously if I got it wrong, I would have to replace the trim panels. The tech at the dealers also didn't know.
Fortunately, the Peugeot 3008 is more or less the same car and the Grandland dog guard is very similar, so a search for 3008 fitting actually revealed a PDF. Click on the link, tab down to download and there it is;
https://eshop-peugeot.cz/gb/storage-spa ... 8-p84.html.
Although the Vauxhall bracket has 3 rubber "rivnuts" against the 3008's 2, the principle will be the same, so drill big hole, push rivnut from the outside and tighten.
When the wife makes the car available and I have a spare pair of hands to offer up the guard to mark the holes, probably Sunday now, I will go out and give it a go. Probably best to get the swear box out now.
I will report back.
1.2 SE ,8 speed auto, 2019, metallic Ruby red.

GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

The part numbers for some of the Peugeot 3008 are the same as the Grandland. Hopefully you will get it fitted Sunday.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Fingers crossed
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Looking forward to the pictures
😂
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Vayerr

Post by Vayerr »

I've managed to obtain instructions for you from the Vauxhall Accessories website. Their customer service is great.

Below is download link. Only site I've found where it won't expire after a few days.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 8861886915

Hope this helps you!
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

That's the puppy, told you my Google-fu is weak.
It does appear you can do it single handed, but my preference is to offer up the brackets whilst attached to the guard so I know it will be a good fit, hence needing a second pair of hands.
In fairness, the Ebay seller has said he will email me instructions, so we will see what I get.
Do you think it's a bit cheeky to print them out and drop a copy off at the dealers?
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

The ebay seller was as good as his word and emailed me the same instructions as Vayeer (again, thank you).
Obviously, I didn't have the unusually sized 4.5 or 9.5mm drill bits so had to buy those in.
Fitting was fairly straight forward, and it seems pretty sturdy. You can infact easily do it on your own as the brackets will only go in the correct place so no real need to offer it up first.
The parcel shelf will still fit, but once the dogs can get out and about again I will just take it out and stick it in the loft.
I would say the only downside is that it will have to be left in when it comes to selling the car due to the drilled holes in the trim.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Good to hear you were able to fit it easily.
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

If you wish to keep the guard, maybe try the various sizes of plug to insert in the trim holes.

Screenshot_20210228_161814.jpg

Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Good idea, they will fill the holes and probably pass a cursory inspection if traded in. When we traded in the Mokka, the sales person didn't even look inside, well not in my view anyway.
Of course, unless Mrs Beanie wants another Grandland, it would end up on a well known auction site. Bit like the Mokka dog guard and boot liner will, eventually.
Been looking at the mudflap thread, slippery slope these places.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post