Looking at a 2019 GrandLand 1.2 Auto Sport Nav

New to the Vauxhall Grandland Forums? Introduce yourself here
GSS123

Post by GSS123 »

Hi all,

I'm G from Birmingham and am on the cusp of buying my dad a 2019 GrandLand X 1.2 Turbo SPORT Nav Auto.

Really like the car, but heard yesterday about a belt disintegration issue, and since have been reading here, with lots of owners having had or having issues, so now I am very concerned.

The car has high miles for its age, 50k, has full history but nothing mentioned about belt.

Would this model suffer from the belt issue?

Would really appreciate your urgent advice as probably going to view and collect around lunchtime.

Thanks.

Cyberbob

Post by Cyberbob »

The belt issue is well documented and yes it could suffer the very same issue. However, the failure rate on the Grandland X is small when you look at the number on the roads and reported belt issues, some have looked into having a warranty to cover it and may be something to negotiate into the deal?
2021B Grandland X Elite NAV
GSS123

Post by GSS123 »

The one I was looking at I have knocked on the head.

I didn't like some things, such as miles and previous owners so walked away.

Do you think it's worth considering one or should I avoid it?, and if I did consider one what should I do about the belt situation? Is replacing the belt straight away a feasible resolution?

Thanks.
Cyberbob

Post by Cyberbob »

GSS123 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:48 pm The one I was looking at I have knocked on the head.

Do you think it's worth considering one or should I avoid it?, and if I did consider one what should I do about the belt situation? Is replacing the belt straight away a feasible resolution?

Thanks.
Wise to walk away from a car that did not feel right!

We are on our second Grandland X, first was 100% reliable and there was not much else that we really liked or thought was worth paying for ie Evoque/Q3/X1 so went for a new Elite Nav last year. Again no issues to report build quality is still good spec decent enough (although they have removed standard bits over the years). We would certainly consider a Hybrid Ultimate next time round if they ever build any along with a Hybrid Tiguan R Line :D

If you trawl through manufacturers BMW has belt chain issues on some engines, VAG has timing belt issues on some engines too.

Given the number of the 1.2 Puretech engines out there across Citroen, Peugeot, DS and now Vauxhall the failure rate is quite rare. There has been an update to the belt I believe, but not sure on the date. There is no such thing as 100% guarantee like anything in life, just decide if the belt is a risk worth taking or not. Lower miles should see lower likelihood of failure though with a much smaller number of failures at lower miles. You could get the belt replaced but is an expensive job from memory and still no real guarantee.
GSS123

Post by GSS123 »

Cyberbob wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:32 pm
GSS123 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:48 pm The one I was looking at I have knocked on the head.

Thanks.
Wise to walk away from a car that did not feel right!

We are on our second Grandland X, first was 100% reliable and there was not much else that we really liked or thought was worth paying for ie Evoque/Q3/X1 so went for a new Elite Nav last year. Again no issues to report build quality is still good spec decent enough (although they have removed standard bits over the years). We would certainly consider a Hybrid Ultimate next time round if they ever build any along with a Hybrid Tiguan R Line :D

If you trawl through manufacturers BMW has belt chain issues on some engines, VAG has timing belt issues on some engines too.

Given the number of the 1.2 Puretech engines out there across Citroen, Peugeot, DS and now Vauxhall the failure rate is quite rare. There has been an update to the belt I believe, but not sure on the date. There is no such thing as 100% guarantee like anything in life, just decide if the belt is a risk worth taking or not. Lower miles should see lower likelihood of failure though with a much smaller number of failures at lower miles. You could get the belt replaced but is an expensive job from memory and still no real guarantee.
Thank you for your reply. I'm definitely still considering one, but decided it's got to be a low miler and less ownership for sure.

Then I would definitely get the belt replaced if there was no prior history of it being done, just for piece of mind purpose. I looked into it and it's a £500 job to supply and fit.

So I'm scanning the market again but trying to find one in a budget is tough.
Cyberbob

Post by Cyberbob »

Sounds like you have a plan and £500 is not too bad especially if you get a good deal as the peace of mind is always a good thing to have.

Used prices are still quite high, great if selling not so great if buying. I cannot see prices dropping much until next year, although too much of a fall will see lots of people in negative equity and cars they are stuck with...

Industry has a tough few years ahead, partly self inflicted with PCP driving more and more expensive cars and now we have a squeeze on finances. If new cars are too expensive buyers will go to used, but that then leads to a shortage of used cars hitting the market which keeps used prices higher...

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post