Vauxhall gearbox

New to the Vauxhall Grandland Forums? Introduce yourself here
Cadparrot

Post by Cadparrot »

First post for me.
Had my 68 plate Grandland for 2 months now and love it. Previously had an Astra but it was riddled with problems. New gearbox and engine (thankfully all under warranty). The only issue I have is reverse gear (and 1st to 2nd seems to be rougher than the rest of the changes but seen a few comments on here about this). When starting the car up and having to use reverse as the first gear change it crunches. Once going through the other gears and then having to use reverse to park etc it is fine. Anyone else come across this or is it me and Vauxhall gearboxes just do not get on. I just dread the thought of a deja vu moment from my Astra days :D

Atariman

Post by Atariman »

Don't have a problem with reverse myself, but first to second can be a bit rough. actually after 18 months all my changes are better now, don't know if its the box getting better or my driving is adjusting to using it.

Anyway it cannot be you and Vauxhall gearboxes, as the Grandland box is no relation to the Astra one, PSA/Peugeot in the Grandland and GM in the Astra, I thought the one in the last Astra I had was better than the Grandland
Grandland X Ultimate 1.2 White
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

No problems with the gearbox on the Grandland petrol 1.2, mines a 18 plate and covered 18K miles. I'm still adjusting though to the clutch. Been driving it a few weeks now and I am getting better, but still find quick pull off in 1st a challenge,as well as smooth 1st to 2nd. Compared to my previous Astra GTC the clutch is lighter but the bite point higher and there seems to be more travel. Sometimes my shoe also catches on something when I try and come off 1st which can be annoying... I find I need to move my heel further back so my lower leg is straighter. I'm sure it's a Peugeot thing and I'll get use to it, but its different to previous vauxhalls. Brakes are also quite sudden and sensitive! 😁

Simon
Cadparrot

Post by Cadparrot »

Cheers. Booked it in to get checked as sounds like there is a mini Tyrannosaurus Rex in there when changing to reverse.
Cadparrot

Post by Cadparrot »

So, Grandland has gone in today to investigate the reverse gear crunch. Appears that the synchromesh for reverse is either shot or non existant. Job request raised with Vauxhall so waiting to see what they come back with. 2 months having it I feel my past 2 years of owning an astra which needed new gearbox and engine coming back to haunt me. Fingers crossed they sort it out and that is my lot for this one.
Cadparrot

Post by Cadparrot »

Vauxhall have got back to the dealer and said get it in so they can drop the gearbox and investigate reverse gear. They also stated that they have had reports of this gearbox stripping the teeth on reverse gear. Only had it 2 months so god knows what kind of life it had before i bought it. Just a heads up in case anyone else may start to experience this fault.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post