Granny cable

New to the Vauxhall Grandland Forums? Introduce yourself here
DianaM

Post by DianaM »

Hello everyone, I took delivery of my Grandland hybrid yesterday and was surprised that no granny cable is supplied. Just concerned that this means I can only charge via a charging point if I am visiting family. Anyone else found this to be an issue?

Moss5

Post by Moss5 »

Hello DianaM and welcome to the forum.
I refused the 'free' home charger and my supplier (Aston) was clever enough to realise I needed the 3-pin 13A Granny cable.
The charge rate ramps up to 8-miles/hour, so overnight charging will give the car it's full range.
The OLEV Grant (Office for Low Emission Vehicles), specifically named the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme (EVHS), provided up to £500 off the cost of purchasing & installing a home charging point. Pod-point charged an additional £359.00 installation fee for the ‘Free’ Vauxhall 7.4 kW home charger. The standard Hybrid 4 cannot use 7.4kW without an additional £500 to upgrade.
A little-known fact about ‘smart’ home chargers and ‘smart meters’ is that the government intend to use all these electric cars as a store of energy to smooth the demand made upon the power generating industry.
Vehicle to grid (V2G) Vehicle to grid technology is an advanced form of power management, and it's a potentially crucial part of the electric car future.
Energy supplier Ovo Energy is currently running a vehicle to grid trial (which is still open to registrations for Ovo customers). If you're registered to the trial, you get to choose a charging schedule via an app on your phone. This sets the minimum state of charge you need your car to be and for what time.
For example, you’ve come home at 6pm in the evening, plugged your car in and specified that you want your car to be at least 80% full by 7am the following morning.
Overnight, your car will be charged when demand on the network is low, and when it’s more likely that energy from renewable sources is feeding the grid.
But when demand on the grid is high, the charger can take power from your car, power your home and sell any excess energy back to the grid, helping to manage the UK power network and earning you money. Your app will tell you how much money you’ve made by doing this.
From <https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/new-and ... arthreepin>

The pod-point electricians would be testing the earth quality on my 61-year-old house. I did qualify for the OLEV grant, but declined their ‘smart’ offer.
"Kindly cancel our order and refund the deposit paid.
We choose NOT to continue with the home charger installation.
We are now aware that the Vauxhall Grandland Hybrid can be charged at home using the supplied 13A plug-in charging lead.
The charging rate will be slow at 2000W. To benefit from your Pod Point home charger, we would have to pay £500 more to Vauxhall to upgrade the car charging circuit"
2020 Hybrid 4
DianaM

Post by DianaM »

Thanks for that Moss5. I was told that I didn’t get a granny lead butI could buy one for £500! Interesting about the vehicle to grid info.
Moss5

Post by Moss5 »

https://shop.evchargersdirect.co.uk/pro ... 870c&_ss=r

£239 for 5-metre, or £309 for 10- metre.
I found this via google search, I have no connection or knowledge of the company.
2020 Hybrid 4
Moss5

Post by Moss5 »

Amazon can undercut the first suggestion.
2020 Hybrid 4
DianaM

Post by DianaM »

That’s a bit more like it, thanks. Will give it a go

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post