Grandland X Sri Nav

New to the Vauxhall Grandland Forums? Introduce yourself here
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

During the stop-start procedure, the whole car electronics remain live so, if the noise is associated with shutting down of the electronics, wouldn't expect to hear it.

DaPa

Post by DaPa »

I originally thought it was turbo whine but at start/stop the turbo is not running I assume, therefore I believe it is not the turbo whine
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

It might be the water pump. I had this once in a Peugeot 207 that made a noise once I had turned the car off only for a few seconds.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

The turbo runs when the engine is running and is turned by exhaust gas. On switching off, the turbo will 'free run' for a few seconds.
The water pump is driven by belt so will stop when the engine stops, eliminating this as the possible culprit, certainly for the noise you describe.
DaPa

Post by DaPa »

GRANDLANDX68 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:49 pm It might be the water pump. I had this once in a Peugeot 207 that made a noise once I had turned the car off only for a few seconds.
Would that mean there is an issue with the water pump, the car has done 1,100 miles?
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

Faulty water pump would possibly be noisy when engine running and/or allowing overheat of the engine. Not impossible to be faulty but as its driven by belt, when engine stops the pump stops.
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

The turbo is driven by exhaust gas and speeds up as and when the gas volume increases. At tick over it is spinning 'slowly'. It is basically a fan, blow at it and it spins, stop blowing and it slows to a stop. Therefore possible to hear it on switch off.
DaPa

Post by DaPa »

Coatgallou wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:06 pm The turbo is driven by exhaust gas and speeds up as and when the gas volume increases. At tick over it is spinning 'slowly'. It is basically a fan, blow at it and it spins, stop blowing and it slows to a stop. Therefore possible to hear it on switch off.
But when the car start/stops it can't be heard, I would of thought the turbo would be inactive whilst in start/stop.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

The water pump still made a noise on my car only a few seconds after the car was turned off it was like a hum noise as in it was slowing down to turn off. I would try and get a video of the sound and get the car booked into the dealership. Explain you have a video of the noise and see what they say.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

Right, I see what you are saying. Not Checked mine to see if it doesn't do it in stop-start mode.
But, I have the noise after switching off, consider it normal.
Car currently with under 600 miles on clock.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post