Hello!

New to the Vauxhall Grandland Forums? Introduce yourself here
HardwareHarry

Post by HardwareHarry »

Hi all,

We took the plunge and replaced our long suffering Meriva with a new Grandland X (pre-registered by the dealer). We went for the Hybrid4 one and it's an amazing car to drive. We only picked it up last week, so plenty more adventures to be had yet I hope.

One of my "pet peeves" with cars is trend of replacing spare tyres with re-inflation kits. We got stuck, a few years ago when a type literally ripped itself in half with a pothole. "Not much repairing I can do with that mate" were the AA man's words. For this reason I always buy proper spare wheels, and have done so with the Granndland, but for the life of me I can't work out how to fit the darned thing in the boot! It is the "Official" replacement wheel, along with proper replacement toolkit but having lifted up the boot cover I just can't see how it's going to fit. This is the actual wheel I bought...

Would any helpful Grandland owner who bought the factory optional "Spare Wheel" kit mind showing me how it fits into the book please? Not sure if mine would be different because of the batteries for the "Hybrid" part, but anywhere would be a useful start.

Many thank in advance, and looking forward to learning a bit more about this "monster" of a car as we go!

Cheers,
Paul.

Moss5

Post by Moss5 »

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I also have the spare wheel in the boot of my Hybrid 4. There is no space beneath the floor, that's where the batteries go.
I bought a roof rack and roof box to free-up the boot space, but SWMBO did not like the look of a roof box.
She also does not like the spare wheel in the boot, but I insist on carrying it for the independence it provides.
Your car comes with RAC cover and an SOS button to call for help. You are then at the mercy of their response time.
There is an argument that "only an idiot would replace a wheel on the roadside" and the RAC would take you to a safe place before doing the work.
Be sure to add the RAC emergency number to your mobile phone contacts. It would be wise to leave the car where it breaks down and find refuge nearby.
My own paranoia was caused during a drive to Germany. The first puncture occurred on the way to the Dover Ferry.
The spare wheel got me to the ferry on time.
The second puncture occurred at midnight in Brussels.
I had the car up on a jack, family asleep inside and went looking for a similar Mercedes to do a wheel swap.
A slightly tipsy Belgian gentleman came out of a party and offered me his spare wheel (the is a GOD) and we made it to our destination in Germany.
So that is why I am 'damaged goods' and always travel with a spare wheel.
2020 Hybrid 4
HardwareHarry

Post by HardwareHarry »

Thanks Moss - similar experiences lead to similar behaviours :)

If it's not a rude question, would you mind posting a picture of your boot, spare wheel and all, so I can help visualize how it all goes together.

Many thanks! It's a lovely car, just such an annoying trait, and conversations with a few current and former AA and RAC engineers suggests that they end up arranging towing around half the puncture calls they get to a local garage as the tyre is not repairable.

On the + side, the few extra kilos of weight help out the manufacturer's fuel targets I'm sure.

Cheers,
Paul.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Hello HardwareHarry and Welcome to the Forum. I agree with you on the spare wheel I have never needed to use mine but always bought one just in case don't like the idea of the compressor and the repair kit.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
HardwareHarry

Post by HardwareHarry »

Sorry to re-waken the zombie thread, but I'm still looking for a solution to this. Anyone who is carrying a spare type instead of the repair kit - please could you send me a picture of your boot so I can see how you managed to fit it in? Many thanks,
Paul.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

HardwareHarry wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:29 pm Sorry to re-waken the zombie thread, but I'm still looking for a solution to this. Anyone who is carrying a spare type instead of the repair kit - please could you send me a picture of your boot so I can see how you managed to fit it in? Many thanks,
Paul.
Hi HardwareHarry

Here is a photo of my boot with my spare wheel.

DSC_0393.JPG

Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Vainona70

Post by Vainona70 »

I don't know if the Hybrid boot differs from the ICE, however here's mine...

IMG_20210427_143043.jpg

Grandland X 1.2T 8 speed Auto Tech Line Nav (All Road pack, Park & Go pack 2 and Emergency Spare wheel)
Vayerr

Post by Vayerr »

Here's mine. Same as the above 2... + lots of stuff "just in case".

IMG_20210330_111850.jpg

Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

Welcome to the forum HardwareHarry,

Mine is as the ones shown above but I believe the hybrid4 is without the space for spare due to the siting of batteries.
Moss5

Post by Moss5 »

As I stated above, the Hybrid 4 boot has very little space under the floor.
Imagine the spare wheel is a suitcase and place it in the boot.
That leaves reduced space for real suitcases.
Vorsprung Durch Technik 'progress through technology'.
2020 Hybrid 4