Hi from Rugby - Petrol Cap Issue

New to the Vauxhall Grandland Forums? Introduce yourself here
Tony211053

Post by Tony211053 »

I have just bought a 2019 Grandland X Sports Nav 1.2 Auto having replaced my 2016 Mokka and must say I absolutely love driving it.
One problem I have with it though is that the petrol cap seems quite loose in fact rattles. This makes me concerned with it not being a tight fit, surely vapour can escape which is extremely dangerous.
Went back to the dealer who tried a brand new cap which also rattled - i.e. not tightening/sealing. They said they hadn't come across this before and not sure what the cause was.
Has anyone else had this problem with the petrol filler cap and what was the resolution. I am beginning to think its a problem with the filler neck and press for it to get sorted under the remaining warranty.
I would be thankful for any replies to this issue.

GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Hi Tony211053 and Welcome to the Forum.
Glad to hear your enjoying your new Grandland.
The petrol cap issue sounds like the filler neck as you have said and I would get the car booked back in ASAP as you say it can then be fixed under warranty as they seem to of been helpful with trying a new cap already.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Tony211053

Post by Tony211053 »

Finally figured out the rattling fuel cap problem - thought it all pointed to a filler neck problem after trying new caps, even dealership hadn't come across this before. After comparing the filler on my Grandland with that of my friends Grandland over the weekend the cause was simply obvious.
On the top of the filler neck there should be a rubber seal that connects with the chamfer on the filler cap - this was missing on my car - seal ordered, fitted onto neck - problem solved.
So simple it wasn't immediately obvious.
Vayerr

Post by Vayerr »

Glad you've sorted it. Out of curiosity, how much was the seal? And did you buy it directly from Vauxhall or somewhere else? Thanks
Tony211053

Post by Tony211053 »

I have only had the car for about 3 weeks, this has been an ongoing issue so when I found the cause the seal was ordered through the service manager and paid for by the dealership, just glad it's finally sorted as an ill fitting petrol cap in my mind is totally lethal.
Incidentally it is a listed part, but apparently shown on the filler pipe completely separate from the filler cap.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Hi Tony211053 good to see you got the issue sorted and thanks for letting us know as it may help others.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Tony211053

Post by Tony211053 »

Thank you grandlandx68 - it was a simple solution to a puzzling problem - so simple just could not see what was wrong.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

👍🏻
Lodwig123

Post by Lodwig123 »

Hi, my car is in the garage having failed the MOT due to the rubber seal not being present.

Any idea where I can get hold of one, or part number?
I've had no luck in finding one so far and the garage has been useless.

Cheers
Tony211053

Post by Tony211053 »

Hi Lodwig123

Unfortunately I never got the part number as the dealer service manager finally sorted it for me as this was missing when I bought the car.

However what he did say is that it wasn't an individual listed item, they eventually found the seal itemised when they searched for the fuel filler pipe on the parts diagram.

If you can tell your local Vauxhall parts dept to look on the fuel filler pipe you never know miracles do sometimes happen and they could find it and order one.

Failing this if you can get a 40mm to 45mm diameter 4mm thick 'O' ring, possibly online or a local motor factors, that could be sufficient.

Sorry I couldn't be more definite but hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.

All the best.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post