Dashcams

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
Richy33

Post by Richy33 »

Hi, I'm going to attempt to fit my Next base 512 dash cam to my new Grandland X (2020). Can you tell me what type of screwdriver you used to remove the glove compartment? Are they torx screw heads?

Also, was it easy to find somewhere to earth the camera?

Thank you.

Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

I had a Nextbase 402G for a long time. I bought the Nextbase hard wire kit and fitted it to my Astra GTC. Removed it when I sold the car and then fitted it myself to the Grandland X. Very good camera, but it was showing its age and didn't always reliably switch on automatically. Also the reserve battery had completely died and I found it a bit of a pain having to remove it every day (it was quite noticeable with it's suction mount).
I tried a few replacements and ended up with the Viofo A119 V3.

Reasons for choosing the Viofo was (a) it plugged into my existing mini USB wiring kit so no need to redo the wiring, (b) it was very small and discrete and could be stuck right to the top of the windscreen using double sided tape. It can be easily removed if required from the mount (which the DC power lead can remain plugged into - another nice feature) but because of its small size and the fact I mounted it right at the top of the screen near the centre, it's almost unnoticeable. (c) The low light (night) performance is excellent, Sony Starvis sensor and a night HDR type mode makes night scenes almost daylight! (d) the mount has built in GPS and it locks really fast (e) It uses super capacitors not batteries so less likely to be degraded by hot weather (f) Very wide angle lens but not to the point of being fisheye, excellent wide view of everything infront of me. It's discreet and so far has worked flawlessy. Also it records in 2560 x 1600 resolution which looks amazing, although you can change this to a variety of settings.

The only niggle I had when I fitted my hard wiring kit in my Grandland myself was I fed the cable up the door seal and then under the join where the headlining splits between front and main roof (over the passenger door frame near the top front corner). Even though the wire seemed to fit snuggly under the lining, I couldn't get the edge of the lining (where it overlaps the main lining) to sit flush. I ended up putting a dab of super bond gel on it to keep it tidy!
Otherwise fitting the wiring kit was easy - just removed the glovebox and use the fuse adaptor plug that came from Nextbase to plug into the fusebox and then hit the wiring and DC converter the side with some cable ties. Although this particular dashcam also supports parking mode, I couldn't be fussed to replace the cabling for that so I just use as is, although the supercaps keep it recording for quite a bit after turning off the ignition (although that might also be the Grandland's doing).

Simon
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Bit of a thread resurrection here, just fitted the wife's Nextbase 222 to the Grandland with the hardwire kit. I used fuse 34, which is a 5amp and powers the cigarette lighter and front power socket. The installation instructions say that it doesn't matter what the supply voltage is as long as it doesn't exceed 20amps.
It all appears to be working fine, but as the previous poster notes, the A-pillar trim doesn't fit flush at the top, neither does the drivers side one. Can someone advise me what adhesive to use, I'm not sure what "super bond gel" is and am conscious that it's very near the air-bag and don't want to use anything that may degrade it.
1.2 SE ,8 speed auto, 2019, metallic Ruby red.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

I am thinking of purchasing a Next base 622gw with rear view plug in but they are quite expensive. I have a RAC05 dash cam which I use for long journeys at the moment which I plug in via the Cigarette lighter .
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

I have a Thinkware F770 in my car, its probably 4 years old now and I'm sure there are better ones now on the market, but I've been pleased with it so far.
I got the Nextbase 222 for the wife's car because a friend recommended it and I found a good deal at the time. Of course the only time she needed it when some halfwit opened their door into hers, she had lazily parked it front in the parking space. Had she reversed in, it would have caught the offending vehicle.
I am a fan of hardwiring, I just think it looks neater and my OCD can't stand wires everywhere.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Fair enough. I might just stick with my RAC05 dash cam it as I don't do very long journeys so it doesn't get used much.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

I bought them as a form of insurance. I want to avoid the "it's his word against yours with no witnesses " scenario and having an unfair fault claim recorded against me. If a bump is my fault, fair enough, but how many drivers refuse to accept they're at fault and will try to blame you? That's before the supermarket fail to stop bash.
For peace of mind, it's worth it for me to have them running all the time. The Thinkware even has GPS speed recorded to mitigate the "you must have been speeding" accusation. I don't speed so I'm happy to keep that enabled.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

That's fair enough If I did more miles then I might decide to do the same as you but I probably do less than 4000 a year if that.
Daveregis

Post by Daveregis »

I have dashcam to hardwire did anyone find a easy earth screw in the glove box as am going to use fuse 33 for power.
Daveregis

Post by Daveregis »

Youtube video on grandland x fitting