Fuel Tank (Petrol) Full

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
Post Reply
DaPa
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:21 am

Post by DaPa » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:34 pm

but the gauge is not showing full, only just over 3/4.

Any ideas if there is a reset function?


DaPa

User avatar
edgejedi
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:51 pm
Location: Durham, The Cold North!

Post by edgejedi » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:02 pm

Just a guess but could be an issue with the fuel level float sender that uses a float mechanism to relay fuel level information to a gauge in the dash. Theoretically this should last for a loooong time, but hey. Mechanics do occasionally go wrong. Theyre about £50 to 80 plus fitting roughly.
Jase
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Grandland 2018, Sport Nav 1.2 (130), Ruby Red

GRANDLANDX68
Posts: 895
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:53 pm

Post by GRANDLANDX68 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:08 pm

DaPa wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:34 pm
but the gauge is not showing full, only just over 3/4.

Any ideas if there is a reset function?


DaPa
Does you gauge go down as your using the car and using fuel ? It might just be a one off and may fix itself.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator

DaPa
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:21 am

Post by DaPa » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:58 am

GRANDLANDX68 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:08 pm
DaPa wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:34 pm
but the gauge is not showing full, only just over 3/4.

Any ideas if there is a reset function?


DaPa
Does you gauge go down as your using the car and using fuel ? It might just be a one off and may fix itself.

I filled the tank again, only just over 8 litres and the gauge stayed where it was previously.

This will be the third time the gauge has not moved, although each time has been a maximum of 10 litres.

The gauge does appear to be going down with use.

EDIT:
If I have a full tank and record the mileage would this be a better representation of the amount of fuel I have rather than relying on the gauge?

If the gauge was to show into the red I am guessing that there would be more fuel in the tank that was it is showing on the gauge based on the scenario I am currently in, basically I should rely more on the mileage used from a full tank of fuel?

User avatar
Vayerr
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:58 pm
Location: North-East

Post by Vayerr » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:32 am

DaPa wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:58 am
GRANDLANDX68 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:08 pm
DaPa wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:34 pm
but the gauge is not showing full, only just over 3/4.

Any ideas if there is a reset function?


DaPa
Does you gauge go down as your using the car and using fuel ? It might just be a one off and may fix itself.

I filled the tank again, only just over 8 litres and the gauge stayed where it was previously.

This will be the third time the gauge has not moved, although each time has been a maximum of 10 litres.

The gauge does appear to be going down with use.

EDIT:
If I have a full tank and record the mileage would this be a better representation of the amount of fuel I have rather than relying on the gauge?

If the gauge was to show into the red I am guessing that there would be more fuel in the tank that was it is showing on the gauge based on the scenario I am currently in, basically I should rely more on the mileage used from a full tank of fuel?
The overall idea isn't bad but I think that's dangerous - you could potentially run out of fuel.

If at some point the gauge was to fix itself without you realising, you'd be assuing it's in the red but you have for example 200 miles remaining, when in reality the tank could really be almost empty.

Also you don't always get the exact same amount of miles per tank. Sometimes we all are slightly heavy footed when accelerating, or going up a hill and so on so mileage per tank will vary. On my 1.5 diesel I get anywhere between 460-540 miles depending on how I drive. That's a big range.
Image

DaPa
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:21 am

Post by DaPa » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:37 am

My thoughts were (until I'm able to get to the dealers) to use between 200 - 250 miles then top it back up.

If the gauge is showing empty and I know there is fuel in the tank, is there any chance the miss reading gauge would affect the fuel to be pumped through the car?

GRANDLANDX68
Posts: 895
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:53 pm

Post by GRANDLANDX68 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:50 pm

I would be very cautious with the gauge until its looked at by the dealership as it sounds like any reading may be inaccurate.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator

DaPa
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:21 am

Post by DaPa » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:07 pm

The gauge seems to have corrected itself, took it on a run of 100 miles, when I returned to the car to continue my journey the gauge was reading correctly.

I put fuel in today and the gauge again is reading correctly.


DaPa

GRANDLANDX68
Posts: 895
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:53 pm

Post by GRANDLANDX68 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:23 am

Good to hear the issue has resolved itself.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator

Post Reply

  • You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post