What don't you like about your Grandland

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
Neurotica

Post by Neurotica »

Yep, same here on a 2018 auto (Greek plate). When I mentioned it to the dealer, it took it for a ride and "didn't do anything". It's like you overrun a big pebble, right?
KeEp ThE fAiTh . . .

SimonP

Post by SimonP »

I own a Grandland X (2018) Diesel Automatic which I purchased second hand in 2019. Whilst I like the look of the car and it drives great on the motorways, it is by far the most disappointing vehicle that I have owned. Most of my gripes are with the "extra luxury" features, so in no particular order..

1 - The door panels creak and groan when they are touched, I may have expected this in a cheap car but not in the Grandland. If I'm driving along and just rest my elbow on the door, there is a noticeable creak. It's obviously louder when opening/closing the door. It sounds like it's made of cheap recycled plastic.

2 - The engine/gearbox is the laziest engine I have ever driven. From standstill, if I put my foot down, it takes about a full one to two seconds before the car moves, this may not sound a lot but trying to get going onto a busy roundabout has had other cars hooting at me on more than one occasion. Once it’s going then it's quite nippy, it's just the initial go that is lagging (and dangerous)

3 - ECO mode - In the 3 years I have had the car, the engine has only ever switched off on 2 trips (very hot days). I would hate to see my car at a busy roundabout, have to start the engine first and then pull away (see gripe 2). So I'm annoyed it doesn't work and thankful it doesn't work. I know there is a button to switch this off but I think you need to do this every time.

4 - Automatic boot 1 - Why is there no button inside to open the boot!!. Also there is a red button next to the close button, if I push this and then waft my foot, the boot will close and the car will lock BUT if I push the red button followed by the close button, the car doesn't lock which means I either have to get the fob out or touch the door handles. Why would they only have the red button work on the foot waft?

5 - Automatic boot 2 - The foot waft is very lazy, you think you haven't done it correctly so do it again and again. The trick is to waft and then wait 5 seconds for it to react - badly designed.

6 - Automatic windscreen wipers 1 - I used to have an Insignia and for the full 3 years I had it, the wipers were on auto and I never had to touch a thing, they just worked. In the Grandland I need to turn the auto feature on every time. IE Move the stick down and back to auto - WHY?

7 - Automatic windscreen wipers 2 - They are just rubbish, it doesn't matter what setting I set them to, I'm either blind and screaming at the wipers to wipe or they are going flat-out for one drop of rain. I would rather not have auto wipers and would have preferred a normal intermittent but you can't set it to just plain intermittent.

8 - Automatic lights - Whilst they work most of the time, I'll occasionally drive and realise that they are not auto dimming/brightening and the button on the stalk is off (no light). Pushing the button doesn't make the auto come back on. Only after a restart do they start working again.

9 - Android Auto - Don't get me started on this - I also drive a Peugeot Partner van and it has the same infotainment system (they look the same). In my Peugeot, I plug in my phone and immediately android auto pops on the screen, In the Vauxhall, I plug in my phone, then have to push one of the hard buttons, then the android auto button on the touch screen, this then launches a "module" which is obviously powered by an old Raspberry Pi as it takes forever to load. If I stop to say fill up with diesel and leave the phone plugged in, I still must push both buttons again to get back to AA. My Peugeot automatically goes to AA. I've upgraded the infotainment software (which you get from Peugeot) many times hoping it will be like the Peugeot but it never is.

If I think of any more, I’ll add them.
Beta

Post by Beta »

We have the Grandland Ultimate Diesel got it new in December 2022 so the new model, neither myself or my wife are impressed with it and as with yourself it's the most disappointing car we have ever had by a country mile. As for the powered boot, this is how it works with the new Grandland and would assume it's the same with the Grandland X.

Open the boot with a kick under the central part of the rear bumper, you need the key in your pocket, this will open the boot after a short delay To close the boot press the red, left hand side, button, this will close the boot but will not lock the doors. If you want to lock the doors as well then make sure the right hand side button has its indicator light on, it can be toggled on or off by pressing the button and the car will remember your selection. Then to close don't press any buttons just kick under the bumper and the boot will close and the car will lock.

It's probably the only thing about the car I'm impressed with and works quite well if you imagine the scenario, you go to the supermarket and come out with a shopping bag in each hand, you kick under the bumper to open the boot and put your two bags in, then press the red button to close the boot and the car does not lock, you don't want it to lock because you need to get in to drive home. You arrive home and kick under the bumper to open the boot, you check that the right hand button has its light illuminated and then get your two bags out, you then don't press any buttons as your hand are now full, but kick under the bumper and the boot closes and the car locks, you want it to lock as you are now going into the house.

Give it a try on yours and report back if it works the same, it may help others on here.
Grandland Ultimate 1.5 diesel auto blue with black roof, ordered December 2021, picked up December 2022, yes 12 months.
Jw427

Post by Jw427 »

Creaking driver door card is an annoyance it seems to get louder with turning up the volume too :lol: :lol:

As mentioned, I like the electric boot, but didn't know about the lock feature so will try that out next time :D

What I do like on mine is the 360 camera, Park assist (not on a hill though :roll: ), Heated seats and steering wheel in winter, and cooled seats in summer 8-) :oops: , I have Bi-Zenon headlights and brilliant in wet weather and dark country lanes, Very comfy front seats and drivers is fully electric helps after the Misses has been driving, not wedged against the steering wheel, just press memory button and viola :)
Also I have updated the maps to latest 2024 version and the TomTom works pretty well routing and rerouting along with camera warnings etc.
Topaz Blue (MY2018) Grandland X Elite Nav 1.2t - The last owner ticked most of the extras boxes 8-) 8-)
markb

Post by markb »

Complete lack of storage anywhere is she ful for an alleged SUV . Because I have the lowly Se I don’t get the upper base board for the boot and the cost of them is crazy . So too the parcel shelf in mine was stolen getting a new on is crazy money . Don’t like the wet belt stuff I have never been more paranoid . Finally the steering is so loose and sloppy I just do not trust it on sharp corners .
limur

Post by limur »

Apart from the constant worry of wet belt failure, I like the car very much.
Slightly annoying that I can't open all windows at once with the key fob (unless it's a setting somewhere that I can't find?) - used to be able to do that on my old Meriva, which was quite handy on a hot day.
Grandland X 2020 (69) SRi 1.2 (130) Ruby Red
Andrewk

Post by Andrewk »

We have a Grandland 1.2 auto petrol ultimate edition. We saw the car at a VIP event at our local dealer. It was an ultimate edition but it was completely different from the car that arrived. No electric drivers seat with memory, no rear usb and other missing features.

1. Glove box so small you can only fit the locking wheel nut in it! Strange plastic thing in glove box but no idea what it does. Pictures bellow.

2. The park assist button and parking sensors button have been removed and put in the infotainment system and not easy to access.
On our previous car (VW Tiguan) you could press the parking sensor button to check how close the front of the car is when parking in a tight spot. The button was on the show car Grandland but removed when the car arrived.

3.Door bin storage is so small it doesn't even fit a medium sized water bottle.

4. Car manual has blank pages and not all the information on the car ie what certain warning lights and symbols are.

5. Very poor quality plastic especially in the footwell area and doors.

6. Windscreen wipers don't cover the whole front screen especially the passenger side.

7. Vauxhall app it totally useless. It says it's connected to the car but no data transferred. It says we have only done six trip since December and it doesn't update the mileage and fuel amounts. They have done loads of updates but it still unusable.

8. Infotainment systems went blank a month after owning the car and had to be completely replaced.

Last time I will purchase a car from Vauxhall as it's so badly built and their customer service is the worst I've ever dealt with. I've worked in customer service for many years and they haven't got a clue!

IMG_1487.jpeg

IMG_1483.jpeg

Grandland 1.2 Petrol Auto Ultimate.
jw021979

Post by jw021979 »

I have a 2020 Grandland so maybe a little different but my front parking sensors don't need to be turned on, when going very slowly they are automatically on.
The glovebox size is because Peugeot did a rubbish job making the right hand drive versions of the 3008 and Grandland as they both have small glove boxes on right hand drive versions but are a good size on left hand drive versions.
I haven't got a clue what that bit of plastic is for. Is there a part number on it?
The app is pretty rubbish. To do anything on it I have clear the data app data on my phone every time I want to use it.
I have had 1 problem with mine since I got it but my local dealer was very good. Its been more reliable than any VW I have ever driven (never owned one but the three that I have driven were all less than 2 years and 2 out of the 3 broke down on me)
Cyberbob

Post by Cyberbob »

After owning a brand new Peugeot 2008 130 GT Auto for 2 months, I can safely say our Grandland is quieter, smoother and more comfortable than the Peugeot. Build quality is similar and some of the switches and buttons are identical. Manual is much better and more controllable at low speeds than the auto in the Pug.

After two years the Grandland X has never put a foot wrong, the annoying squeak from arm rest I solved my self by removing window switches and putting fabric tape around the area which met with the door trim. In fact due to the disappointment of the new Grandland in terms of spec and price and hard to find anything close for the 23K we paid for a brand new Grandland X Elite Nav. We are going to pay the finance off and keep it. I will just change my 2008 for another lease car in two years and see what is going cheap lease wise and takes my fancy.
2021B Grandland X Elite NAV
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Good to hear your enjoying your Grandland still. I have looked at the new ones and feel the same as you. I think I would rather keep this one than get a newer one with less spec.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post