Locking

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
Vergerboi

Post by Vergerboi »

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere

I am a new Grandland X owner (today) I have the Elite Nav 1.2 petrol

I did own an Astra SRI 2016 with keyless entry & start as does the Grandland

one of the things that I found useful on the Astra was that I could set it so that if I turned off the ignition, got out and shut the door and walked away it automaticly locked (and sounded the horn once as confirmation)

Does the keyless entry on the Grandland have the same feature and if so how do I set it?

thanks again

mcvpjd3

Post by mcvpjd3 »

No it doesn't, and after owning Insignias with Keyless for the last 8 years I'm constantly walking away and leaving my car unlocked!!! Damn frustrating!
Grandland X Elite Nav - 2018
Deleted User 409

Post by Deleted User 409 »

It's rather concerning that many keyless entry cars have a security problem. Seems with the right equipment they are easy to pick. If you park on your driveway you need to put the keys/sensor away in something that can add extra protection. I watched a video the other day in which someone went up to the door of a house and was able to read the transmitter and pass it on to someone by the car door. This was unlocked and the car driven away. This took about a minute. Seems there is no protection against this. I would like the electric hatch opening but I believe you have to have the keyless entry as well.
pjotter

Post by pjotter »

Tighter requirements for the Keyless Entry system of cars should prevent theft. The Center for Crime Prevention and Safety (CCV) has therefore tightened the standards for passenger cars with this facility from 1 January 2021. The assessment will be carried out by certification body Kiwa SCM.

The reason for the stricter requirements is that cars with Keyless Entry are often sought after by car thieves. Via the so-called Relay Attack method, thieves receive the signals from an electronic key and copy them in order to then steal the vehicle. In 2019, 7,000 cars were stolen with a total value of approximately 100 million euros. The CCV and Kiwa SCM have been working for some time to prevent car theft via the Relay Attack method.

“At CCV, everything is about making life as difficult as possible for thieves,” says CCV director Patrick van den Brink. “It is all hands on deck for insurers, because one thing is certain: the thieves' guild is constantly developing new ways to steal cars”. According to the CCV, the Netherlands is the first country to set requirements and where Keyless Entry systems can be certified to prevent theft. Car manufacturers have already adapted several keys, but quite a few have yet to follow. CCV and Kiwa SCM want to enforce the adjustment via the quality mark.

The tightened measures include new installation regulations, changes to the testing of immobilizers plus alarm systems and changing requirements for vehicle tracking & tracing systems. The theft sensitivity of cars is determined on the basis of 28 characteristics. Using so-called Machine Learning methods, recalculations are regularly made of the probability of theft. A so-called Vehicle Security Risk Class Classification has also been introduced with the risk classes "low", "medium", "high" and "very high".
“Despite the declining number of stolen cars, from 30,000 in the early 1990s to 7,000 in 2019, the claims burden is still very high. They are predominantly young and expensive cars and not many of them are found ”, Alex de Hoop, policy advisor at the Dutch Association of Insurers, commented earlier on the tightening of the requirements. “In addition to the direct damage, there is also a lot of indirect damage because stolen cars regularly show up during a ram raid, for example. Furthermore, parts are also popular ”, says De Hoop. “You can't think of it as crazy or it will be taken off the car. So it concerns a multitude of the 100 million in damage for insurers and society ”.

According to the Covenant, a race is underway for the most effective security. Relay Attack is one of the newest theft methods. “And car manufacturers already knew that when they introduced the new technology to the market,” says De Hoop. “Criminals extend the key signal and your car is gone”. It is not yet known whether the stricter requirements for cars with Keyless Entry will affect insurance. “Cars with current certificates (from before 1-1-2021), which are linked to the CCV Vehicle Security Quality Mark, remain valid and also simply move when the car changes owner. Cars with certificates will therefore remain insured, but when taking out a new insurance policy, additional measures may be necessary, ”said the Association.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post