Battery size

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Hi All. Can you help me out please with a query. I have a 2018 1.6 diesel auto sport nav Grandland X. If any of you have the same vehicle, would you be able to go and look what size battery is fitted to your vehicle. Also if anybody has a 2019 vehicle which is the same spec could they also advise me of the battery size. Its the ah rating that i am looking for. Thanks. :D
Grandland Sport Nav, diesel auto. Black.....march 2018

Incontinent Lemur

Post by Incontinent Lemur »

I'm not sure it will be 100% accurate but you could always use a reg search lookup on a battery website. I also don't know if the batterys it gives you will be the same ah rating but it's worth looking. Try somewhere like that https://www.racshop.co.uk/car-battery
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Thanks for the info. Ive already done a reg check to see the ah rating for the battery. My reason for asking is in relation to the stop/start working, and whether the ah rating on the battery i have on the vehicle is adequate to supply all power required to hold the charge etc so that the stop/start works.
petepike

Post by petepike »

Hi Andy,

I too don't think the batteries are man enough (sorry ladies... I mean... strong enough) to cope with the demands of the Grandland with all the toys and electrical bits a pieces on them.
I have a 1.2T Petrol Elite Nav with things such as Power Tailgate, Keyless Entry, Folding Mirrors, all of which can be used with the engine switched off (obviously). I found that if I wash/clean the car and open the doors and open the powered tailgate a few times then I almost always get the 'Eco mode' warning when I come to start the car again (to be honest, I get this at other times too, not just when washing the car, but thought I'd use that as a good example).

As for start/stop... I think it worked for the first two weeks... then nope... just the little flashing 'A' on the dash like everyone else has experienced.
I recently purchased a CTEK battery charger (the one specifically for start/start batteries such as the one fitted in the Grandland, as they are different to standard batteries and require charging differently).
Connected it all up, left it for about 7 hours until it said it was done... guess what.... STOP/START STARTED WORKING AGAIN!!!!! Yay!!! :D

…. but only for about another week and a half. :cry:

I did a little more online research and spoke to my Dad who's been in the motor trade from when the dinosaurs were driving around in cars.... :lol: (sorry Dad)…. there are basically two types on start/stop battery technology, EFB (Enhanced Flooded Battery) and AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat).
Without boring you to tears with the design and technology differences (I'm sure you can look it up for yourself if you're interested), EFB are cheaper and used in conventional start/stop vehicles, and AGM are superior and are used in advanced start/stop vehicles.
AGM are recommended for cars with high energy demands, varied driving schedules, the most demanding accessories, and start/stop system with regenerative braking. Now I know we don't have regenerative braking, but the Grandland certainly seems to tick the others boxes.

https://batteryworld.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/car-battery-start-stop

the above link is to information from VARTA (who manufacture the battery currently supplied in the Grandland). Read down and you'll see that even they say that an upgrade to an AGM battery may be worthwhile in situations where there is 'extensive electronic equipment' or you 'drive short distances or are often in traffic queues', etc.

Guess which one is fitted in the Grandland… yep, the cheaper and less efficient EFB.

Now I'm no battery expert/technician, so if someone can tell me why Vauxhall would have used EFB over the premium AMG for any reason other than cost, then please feel free to enlighten me; but it seems as though they have fitted a battery only just up to the job of running things, but after a bit of day to day use, and the type of driving that the majority of people buying these cars use them for, they just don't work properly!

Vauxhall saying, "oh you need to drive the car for further and for extended periods" is a easy cop out in my opinion.
For starters, their dealership sell the car on PCP, PHC, etc. with a standard 8k mile a year limit (I think it's around 8k miles); why start with such a low basic allowance if you have a car that needs to be driven for about 30-40 minutes continually, every day, in order to keep the battery charged to enable you to use all the features. That's just mad!! :?

Anyway... long winded response I realise, but hopefully it's a little helpful for you and others.

To answer your question in the simplest terms...
the battery fitted in my 1.2T Petrol Grandland Elite Nav (MY19) is - 'VARTA L3 EF 12v 70Ah 760A'
Grandland X Elite Nav 1.2T - MY19 - 8 speed Auto - Topaz Blue - Optional Extras:- Black Roof & Mirrors - Dark Tinted Rear Windows - Park & Go Pack 2 (Advanced Park Assist with rear camera) - Keyless Start & Entry/Exit - Powered Tailgate
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Pete, At last......... somebody that can possibly provide a reason for this stop/start problem. I have spoken to Vauxhall many times, and to no avail, and have posted many chats on this forum relating to the stop/start issue, Pete, we arent alone in this... there are loads of other Grandland owners in our situation. Sounds about right for Vauxhall, charge top money for the vehicle but cut corners with a cheaper battery thats not up to the job.....

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post