Tips and features you have only recently discovered in your GLX...

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

I thought this might make an interesting and useful thread, assuming it doesn’t already exist.

Something I only discovered by accident today on my GLX sport. In the past with my cars I have always held the wiper wash to clean either the front windscreen or back window. I usually hold the stalk in (or outwards) for several seconds to clean a dirty windscreen. I discovered today that you can just blip the stalk momentarily and it automatically does a predefined wash and wipe! Nice. On the same thing I haven’t yet run low on windscreen wash since getting the car, does it warn you if the wash level is low?

Another neat feature, actually important and essential feature is how to lift the wiper blades to clean or replace them. Just momentarily push the windscreen wiper stalk down as if you were doing a quick single wipe but with the engine turned off. The wipers will raise to the vertical position and stop, enabling you to lift them off the screen. Once you are done do another single wipe and they automatically park behind the bonnet.

Have you discovered any tips? Please share them so we can all benefit.

Simon

Highlightuk

Post by Highlightuk »

Clever - I'll have a look at those tomorrow, I like the idea of being able to park the wipers.
Deleted User 409

Post by Deleted User 409 »

Very interesting. Is it not in the manual? Then again how many of us thoroughly read the manuals and just expect the controls are as our previous Vauxhall's? I will try these tomorrow.
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

I didn't read anything in the user manual on how to change the wiper blades as far as I recall. Often when washing the car I wondered how to do so as I keep hitting the wipers against the top lip of the bonnet (when I lift them a bit) when they are parked in their usual position.

Come to think of it there are a few things I didn't come across in the manuals, especially the infotainment system (Navi 5). For instance a 3 finger tap on the screen goes to a home screen, there's no other way to get to it! There's also nothing in the manual as to what file formats the USB feature can play, however it does play higher bitrate files than my Astra GTC system. I also discovered it stores separate tone settings (ambience) for each source.

If you have keyless entry and a power tailgate, you can close AND automatically lock the car - but only using your foot after you press the right 'lock' button on the boot lid. That took me a while to figure out as I tried it with the button and the key closure and it doesn't work.

You can also close the windows from outside the car by holding the lock button on the key, but not open them with the unlock button (as you could on my Astra).

When it rains and you have the auto wiper feature on, unless its very light rain the headlights also come on in daylight. However what's clever is that it doesn't dim the dashboard illumination (as it does at night when you put the lights on)., unless it gets dark enough outside to activate the lights.

A few things I haven't yet figured out, the headlamp assist (auto full beam) only seems to activate after I have drive for a bit - not sure if its related to distance or anything else. Also sometimes when I'm pulling off I notice a light with a picture of a car on a road in orange briefly light up - I think it's related to the forward collision alert and pedestrian protection feature (its not ESC or Lane departure). It's only flashed up briefly on occasions where I have pulled away from filling the car up at a petrol station or reversing on to my drive.

Simon
Deleted User 409

Post by Deleted User 409 »

Well after reading your note above Midinotes I tried both suggestions and they both worked. I wonder how many other hidden gems we are unaware of.
Dsrogan

Post by Dsrogan »

Midnotes? What as they abnd what is the tip?
Grandland Elite nav 1.2 auto in Topaz blue with 3rd party reversing camera MY 2018.5
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

Hi Dsrogan, I don’t quite understand your reply -not sure what abnd is but I wanted to point out these features above in case anyone wasn’t aware of them. I’m sure some will know about these things already though. 🙂
Simon
petepike

Post by petepike »

Simon,
I also noticed that the highbeam assist doesn’t always work; but it’s only when you first start driving (like you said).
I think there could be a sensor or something in the windscreen to detect temperature and/or if the windscreen is completely clear in the area around the rear view mirror where the cameras/sensors for the highbeam assist, road sign recognition, lane departure warning etc. are located.
I was thinking this as the system would not want to start dazzling oncoming drivers by putting the highbeam on and then NOT automatically turning it off because it can’t properly read the road ahead.
I think that once it detects that the screen is clear and/or the temperature in the glass is sufficient then it works.
I tried turning the heated screen on as soon as the car was turned on and the highbeam assist seemed to work again quite quickly, hence why I think this might be the case.

Peter
Grandland X Elite Nav 1.2T - MY19 - 8 speed Auto - Topaz Blue - Optional Extras:- Black Roof & Mirrors - Dark Tinted Rear Windows - Park & Go Pack 2 (Advanced Park Assist with rear camera) - Keyless Start & Entry/Exit - Powered Tailgate
petepike

Post by petepike »

Simon,
With regards to the other light you mention (the orange symbol with the picture of the car on a road), do you pull away from petrol stations etc. without your seatbelt on and then put it on as you’re moving away? :?
With your seatbelt undone as you move the vehicle, the forward collision avoidance system is disabled (so it doesn’t throw you throw the windscreen or cause you potential injury by braking for you when you’re not secure).
The light comes on and stays on to inform you of this, and then goes out as soon as the seat belt is fastened again.
Best way is obviously to always fasten the seatbelt before moving off, then you won’t see the light at all! ;) :P
Grandland X Elite Nav 1.2T - MY19 - 8 speed Auto - Topaz Blue - Optional Extras:- Black Roof & Mirrors - Dark Tinted Rear Windows - Park & Go Pack 2 (Advanced Park Assist with rear camera) - Keyless Start & Entry/Exit - Powered Tailgate
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

Thanks Pete, that makes sense although I tend to belt up before I move off... clever thought though. It’s only appeared twice, once pulling away from a petrol station and once pulling into my drive so it may very well have been belt related without me realising.

Simon