Wireless CarPlay converter (CPLAY2air)

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

I have just read a review about this new product which basically allows you to use CarPlay without the cable! It looks too good to be true, but the more I read the more it sounds fantastic. Essentially it's a little box that plugs into the USB front port of your vehicle, so in the case of the Grandland it can easily be hidden in the front compartment behind the flap. It then connects to your iPhone via Bluetooth and WiFi and allows you to use CarPlay with your headunit, but without having to connect your phone up to the USB cable! This is what I've been waiting for!

The product is called CPLAY2air and according to their website it is compatiable with Vauxhall models with factory fit units.
https://carplay2air.com/?sca_ref=52631.xW8mzTYLOK

There's also a review of it here, albeit tested on an aftermarket Alpine headunit in a Golf. I guess the big question is, who will be the first to test it on the Grandland X and if it doesn't work, will the company sort it out or refund? There are a few UK customers in the reviews, all reviews seem pretty positive and although the price is in US dollars, international shipping is included. I am tempted! :-)

https://www.carplaylife.com/review/cplay2air-wireless-adapter-for-factory-and-aftermarket-carplay-receivers-review/

Edit (added later):
Ok starting to do a bit more research and sounds like a product that's still in its infancy judging by forum posts...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/carplay-adapter-to-convert-to-wireless-carplay.2193978/page-4

Might be worth waiting a bit longer until the dust settles and the firmware gets a bit more stable. Also I'm expecting we will see more such products coming out soon, now that the concept is possible.

Regards
Simon

edgejedi

Post by edgejedi »

Sounds like a great idea, the charging port in my phone is crappy at the best of times. I'll watch with interest.
Jase
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Grandland 2018, Sport Nav 1.2 (130), Ruby Red
bprecey

Post by bprecey »

Apologies if this is considered bad in this forum to comment on old threads.

I just thought I would mention that I have had this device now for about 6 months and I have found it to be pretty good and also quite reliable. It works the same as the cable being plugged in allbeit with a slight delay and some barely noticeable quirks. I have not noticed any real loss of audio quality either.

My Friend has a Ford and it is much less reliable.

There were a few annoyances initially but now it connects flawlessly every time. The people that make the device seem to react quickly to Apple updated breaking the connection too.

Overall for me at least, it was money well spent.
zice

Post by zice »

Carlinkit 2.0 also good, advantages over Cplay2air:

- uses 5GHz wifi chip
- has powered radio antenna
- uses usb-c
- detachable cable

All boxes are pretty much the same, apparently same iphone 6 (?) chip inside, same software/fw base.
All exploit the same man-in-the-middle principle to deliver wireless carplay :)
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

Great to hear that someone has had first hand experience of the CPLAY2air. Was that with iOS or Android? How long does it take to connect when you get in the car and do you need to intervene, or does it just start working within x seconds?

Simon
bprecey

Post by bprecey »

Midinotes wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:34 pm Great to hear that someone has had first hand experience of the CPLAY2air. Was that with iOS or Android? How long does it take to connect when you get in the car and do you need to intervene, or does it just start working within x seconds?

Simon
Carplay only works on Iphone's as does CPlay2air. Not sure if they do an Android Auto one. It takes about 30 seconds from starting the engine. About 5-10 seconds longer than the cable. It just kicks in usually. There have been a few times (maybe one in 50 times) where I have to unplug the device and plug it back in and then it usually connects straight away again.

I am very happy with it. I have had it about 7 months now and use it regularly.

One real annoyance (Cplay2air and using a cable) with Car Play generally is that it doesn't play well with the My Vauxhall App. As soon as Carplay takes over, it disconnects the app. It's not a big loss as the My Vauxhall app is pretty dreadful and unrelaible compared to other car companies offerings.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post