Preparing for move to Grandland X

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed »

As I mentioned in my first post, I've been in different Astras for the last 10 or more years, last 5 in a Sports Tourer. I've been trying to read specifications on the Vauxhall page but they seem a bit vague.

Are all Grandland X models fitted with an electonic handbrake and what form of spare wheel does the model come with as standard? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure it will help me decide.

GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Hi FiestaRed

All modesl come with a Electronic Handbreak and the spare wheel is not standard its the kit. The spare wheel is cheaper when buying brand new as a added extra. If your buying used then for a spare wheel try and get part numbers off dealership then get from Ebay as will be cheaper.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Have you decided on getting one yet then?
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed »

Still waiting to get a date for the test drive. The more I read about the Grandland though, the more I like the idea of changing.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

I am sure you will like it. I am surprised they are making you wait this long for a test drive/
FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed »

Just as an update, I now have a Grandland X SRi on an extended test drive. First impressions are the car looks great, probably the colour I would have chosen too, Quartz Grey.

Unfortunately, I've found problems with driving already. Even with the seat at it's lowest, I still bang my head when I get into the car although I have clearance when I'm on the seat. The clutch is also a bit of a nightmare. When I press the clutch down, there is a plastic lump that sticks out to the left of the pedal and when my left foot goes to the floor, the lump of plastic gets in the way.

As the car has only done a few hundred miles, everything is stiff and notchy, especially the gearboox. On the other hand, the steering is extremely light.
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

Great you have the chance to try it out with an extended test drive. I am surprised though you are banging your head when entering, I'm 6ft 3in and after coming from an Astra GTC I find it so easy to get in to the Grandland. The seats do take some time to get use to, but as for the clutch... :) :) Well that to be honest is my only bug bear with the manual Gx. It's very different to other Vauxhalls I've owned, most probably because of its French Peugeot origins. After months of getting used to it, I've found it best to sit a bit further back than you would normally set your seat in a car. Adjust the steering wheel to compensate and as long as you can still press the brake to the floor, you should find it easier to control the clutch. That said, if I get another Grandland I'll be choosing automatic. Steering is very light as you say, particularly when manoeuvring which is great. It does tighten up a bit at speed, but overall I find it a lot easier on the arms for long trips than other cars I've owned. I bought my GX with 17K on the clock, so I guess my gearbox was already worn in nicely. No issues at all with the gear shift, as long as I depress the clutch sufficiently.

Simon
FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed »

Thanks Simon. I'm a mere 5ft 11in but have a longer upper body, even when in the seat, I have less headroom than my Astra ST. I guess the drivers seat in my Astra has had plenty of time to soften up so that could be part of the problem. I'll try what you mentioned about sitting a bit further back and see how that goes.

I've got a couple of days left so I'll be able to have a fair test drive. I really like the looks and features of the Grandland X.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Hey FiestaRed I am glad you managed to get a test drive for a few days as it will help you to either like it or hate it. The problem is that you are probably so used to the Astra that it will take a while to get used to it. The clutch is a bit of a pain but you get used to it. The power is great for a bigger car and you can't complain with tech it comes with especially on the Elite Nav. Have you got the electric seat or manual as the Electric ? as the electric makes it easier to get a better seating position.
FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed »

The one they've sent me seems to have everything including the electric seats. Guess they're part of a special pack though.

The mirrors angle downwards when reverse is selected and they automatically fold in on locking the car. The operation of the electronic handbrake is now far better than the one I had in an Astra a few years ago, something I wasn't looking forward to but it's great.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post