Alloy wheels starting to mark/rusty rear brake discs

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Hi. Is anybody else having the same issues as myself regarding alloys and rear brake discs.
The vehicle has only done 8k and 2 1/2 years old.
I have the grey/black alloys fitted
The alloy wheels have started to have small marks on the edge of the spokes nearing the centre of the wheel. There are no scratch marks on the rim.
My wife has an astra gtc, 6 years old, and the alloys are just like new, no marks.
I am very fussy with my car and wheels and like it to look clean all the time.
Have any of you noticed the same small pitted marks on your alloys.

The rear back brake discs are also rusting. I have had this issue really since the car was new, i mentioned it to the dealer but they just dismissed it as being normal.
I understand that i have not done a huge amount of miles but i have never had this issue on any of my previous vehicles.
Grandland Sport Nav, diesel auto. Black.....march 2018

Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

Any chance of attaching some photographs?
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Hi. I have attempted to attach so e photos of my problem.

9EE1D898-6C80-481F-B6B8-EFC29B4B0900.jpeg

BAAE603D-32A4-4754-A861-91A76264BD7A.jpeg

Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

Hi Andy,
The first photograph, whilst the rust on the centre of the hub doesn't look great, it is normal for this to happen to some degree as the disc is made of untreated steel. The important area of the disc, where the pad makes contact is also normal. Some alloy wheels have larger central bodies which mask the rusty centre from view better than others. Removing the wheel, cleaning away the rust and applying some disc paint will give them a better look.
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

The second photograph showing the alloy damage is difficult to confirm, it does look as though it could be slightly scuffed. Is this the only area or is the damage only on a single wheel? Should it be an issue with the finish it may show signs of further deteriation so dated photographs may help if you need to debate with the dealer.
Other forum members may have clearer advice to offer, or maybe have similar issues.
🤞👍
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

I would say with the second photo in regards to the alloys I would go to a dealership to see if they can be replaced under warranty. There was a similar issue with Mokka X alloy wheels as the finish they had failed after a period of time. There's no harm in trying as the dealership will take photos and explain to warranty even if they say no it was worth a try.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
MaccAferri

Post by MaccAferri »

In my experience, so much rusty brake discs are most often the result of washing the wheels with strong chemicals.
Opel Grandland X Ultimate, White Pearl, 1.2 130 kM, AT8, IntelliGrip
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

49A4EE8A-5893-4F32-81D2-925C45A38FCD.jpeg

E02355BD-D880-42B6-91DA-B53E6C2E53F1.jpeg

I have contacted Vauxhall customer services regarding the pitting on my alloy wheels. I have forwarded them photographs of all 4 wheels and then close up images of the pitting. I have attached them to this post..
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Thanks for keeping us updated. Let us know how you get on.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
edgejedi

Post by edgejedi »

I actually complained about the rusting too not long after I had the car. I had them repaint the area nearest to the outer wheel (not the discs lol). It looked nice for a while, but soon comes back. Now I live with it.

I have cleaned and repainted the calipers though which look great now, they were rusty as hell (silver).

As for the alloy scuff, beware if you are on a PCP deal, they will try to charge you for that and its not cheap so good on you getting them to replace or repair.
Jase
Grandland 2018, Sport Nav 1.2 (130), Ruby Red

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post