Misting problems

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
wingsnwheels

Post by wingsnwheels »

My new 1.2 Business Nav is misting up badly. The windscreen has strange areas in the bottom corners that never seem to clear and the rear screen never seems to completely clear leaving horizontal bands of mist and the occasional spots of water. The car hasn't got wet inside as far as I know. Please has anyone any ideas?
2021 1.2 Ecotec. Blue. Clocked over 1,500,000 miles during 59 years of driving.

GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Hi. It sounds like the seals might not be fitted correctly. It could be the windscreen screen and rear screen have not bonded with the seal. Do your side windows do the same? Do you have the front windscreen button? If so does it clear ok when this is used?
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
wingsnwheels

Post by wingsnwheels »

Hi GrandlandX68,
The side windows seem to clear quickly. I use the front windscreen button and turn the fan to high. I also set the recycle button to shut off outside air. The problem is the same without using the recycle button. I'll get it into the dealer as soon as it's possible and let them have a look at it. Thanks for your reply.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Hi wingsnwheels

I don't use both I either use the heated front windscreen button or the fans on the windscreen but not both at the same time . I don't use the recycled air button at all. It doesn't sound right what your experiencing so worth booking it in as you are going to do. It might be worth taking a video of what your experiencing so you can show them when you take it in.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

Hi wingsnwheels, I would have thought using the defrost on the front screen with or without the blower would clear the screen but the thing that I would advise is to be careful when using the recycling of cabin air facility, this will trap the moist air within the cabin and create misting. If the cabin is cold and without misting, using the recirc can help warm the cabin quicker but as soon as misting is evident recirc should be switched off. If you experience the same when this is switched off then further investigation may be necessary.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I have had this same issue on my Grandlandx sport nav auto from new.
The side windows are ok, but the actual front screen is misted over on the inside. I have to put the climate control, boosted onto the windscreen. Then the lefthand side of the windscreen clears quicker than drivers side, like its set up for foreign vehicles.
Also, if there are 4 passengers in the car i need to keep the climate control on as the side and front windows do mist up.
Just another problem that i have experienced with this vehicle. :oops:
Grandland Sport Nav, diesel auto. Black.....march 2018
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

Climate control is one way of controlling the misting as air conditioning reduces the humidity of the the air supplied. Less moisture to stick to the cold glass surfaces.
Previous cars, that I have owned, with manual a/c, I utilised the ac to clear fine misting on the screen but always found it to quickly return once switched off. Warm air supply and good ventilation should suffice but even that can be a struggle in winter.
robbo990

Post by robbo990 »

You should avoid using the recirculation button in the winter or in cold weather. It traps humidity inside the car, causing foggy windows and mugginess. ... Your windows will also de-fog a lot quicker when using “Fresh Air” mode in the winter. The recirculation button is best used in summertime and in warmer weather.

Aircon is probably best left on permanently as it will keep the system lubricated and prevent misting..... for approx loss of 1mpg
2019 Vauxhall Grandland x 1.5 TurboDiesel SportNav Auto (Jasper Grey)
wingsnwheels

Post by wingsnwheels »

Thank you for all of your replies. The problem seems to be sorted now. It's a Motability car and it was delivered to the dealer on the last day before the pre-Christmas lockdown. The dealer couldn't get it ready in time so we had to wait until 9th Dec to pick it up. My wife noticed that the left rear seat felt quite damp and we wondered if the window had been left partly open at some time.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

👍