Hybrid Grandland

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
Moss5

Post by Moss5 »

https://www.grandlandx-forum.de/forum/b ... in-hybrid/
https://www.peugeotforums.com/threads/h ... ed.351956/
https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/v ... 9&start=80
It’s a shame that this forum does not have a dedicated Hybrid section.
My Hybrid 4 has little in common with 1.2 or a diesel-powered Grandland.
I have been looking at the web and find some recurring problems and solutions.
Remote command never works.
Grandland X Hybrid no longer drives electrically.
The electric range of the Opel Grandland X Hybrid is falling continuously.

1. The car is plugged in after an overnight charge. The Mobile Phone app ‘My Vauxhall’ remote control of climate pre-conditioning often fails to connect. The fix seems to be to first unlock the car using the electronic key. This wakes the electrics and makes them more receptive to further instructions. The car must then be locked again before selecting climate pre-conditioning.
2. Choosing to pull away in electric mode often fails when the IC Engine chooses to start. This may be because the 12V engine-start battery has a low voltage. The source of charging for this battery is the engine-driven alternator. After a short drive, the battery voltage may be restored and will allow the electric mode to function.
My solution during lockdown and infrequent journeys, is to connect a smart charger to the starter-battery (under the bonnet).
3. To force the IC engine to run, one must select ‘Sport’ mode. Sport uses both IC and electric power. The warm engine provides cabin heating when the coolant is warm.
4. 4-wheel-drive does not force the IC engine to run on the Hybrid 4. The front and rear motors can provide 4-wheel electric drive.
5. Cabin cooling only comes from the IC engine. That drives a refrigerant compressor. There is no electric cooling (such as thermo-electric coolers found in cool-bags or RV fridges).
2020 Hybrid 4

zice

Post by zice »

2. Default source of 12V main (front) & aux (trunk) batteries charging is the main traction high-voltage battery. They can additionally be charged via classic alternator if the ICE is running. Many users have EV mode issues because either one or both 12V batteries are below nominal voltage for whatever reason.
3. Correct.
4. AWD mode uses only electric motors, unless it detects spin on all 4 and/or speed is greater than 80km/h (from the manual)
5. Incorrect. I drive mine 90% electric and in summer i used A/C for cooling and ICE never started, unless i wanted it to (sport mode or press pedal past the inflexion point - floor it properly).

Since the car is made to start in Electric mode by default, everything should work without ICE running: low-voltage circuits, cooling/heating, etc.
If it doesn't do that, press your dealers to fix it. Whatever they tell you: drive 200km in sport just to recharge 12V batteries is bullshit. It will eventually charge them, but that's a workaround, not the solution to the problem. Cars are in warranty, so let them figure it out.
Moss5

Post by Moss5 »

Thank you zice, I was hoping you would continue to contribute here.
This is the manual I am using: -
OM-Grandland-X MY20-ID-OGDAOBSE1909-en
Edition: September 2019, Opel Automobile GmbH, Rüsselsheim.
Vauxhall do not provide a PDF manual.
We are complying with lockdown rules, so the Hybrid 4 is driven less than 10-km/week (always defaults to electric drive).
2020 Hybrid 4
zice

Post by zice »

thx for kind words Moss :)
you can always join our group (in my signature) if you feel lonely :D

i just checked, the additional info about AWD & AC is not from the usual user manual, sorry :) but it's nevertheless true :)

and here's a link to the manual you mentioned, but in PDF form:
https://www.opel.ie/content/dam/opel/ir ... -en_19.pdf

Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 23.44.36.png

Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 23.44.00.png

Moss5

Post by Moss5 »

Some good news for a change: -

remote pre-heating success.jpg

2020 Hybrid 4
Moss5

Post by Moss5 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-in-1-12-24 ... 2749.l2649

I have bought this to tell me the voltage of the engine starter battery.
After an overnight Plugged-in charge, the starter battery was 12.2 Volts. The default Electric mode did not happen, the IC engine chose to start.
The alternator charged the starter battery at 13.8 Volts.
After five-minutes (without driving) I was able to switch off and re-start in Electric mode.
My next experiment will be to measure the Tailgate battery after an overnight charge.
2020 Hybrid 4
Moss5

Post by Moss5 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-24v-Wate ... 2749.l2649
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353215739807
I now have a voltmeter connected to both starter & tailgate battery, they read continuously.
I also have a plug-in cigar socket voltage/temperature indicator telling me the starter battery voltage.
When the starter voltage is low, the IC engine will start and charge at 14.8-15V DC.
After a short time, I switch off and re-start.
The starter battery now shows 14/15V DC, but counting-down, so if I restart immediately, the IC engine does not start and I can drive in the default 'Electric mode'.
So the conclusion is: -
Overnight charging does not bring the starter battery/tailgate battery up to a fully-charged state.
Running the IC engine for a very short time, will permit the computer to allow the default Electric mode to occur.
No need to fit my smart-charger under the bonnet anymore, but I must live with a short use of the IC engine.
Some wag on another forum said " I bought a Hybrid to save the planet, but the computer says NO. How do I explain myself to my daughter?"

Capture 12V cigar temperature + voltage indicator.JPG

Blue 12V DC indicator.JPG

2020 Hybrid 4
zice

Post by zice »

apparently the "drive 100-200km with the ICE" does help for one particular case: when there's petrol in the engine oil. This can also cause ICE to start, not allowing EV mode. So it's either this (fuel in oil) or low 12V battery (front and/or back) voltage.
Moss5

Post by Moss5 »

Starting a cold engine requires a very rich mixture (fuel/air ratio). Unburned fuel washes the cylinder walls and dilutes the oil in the sump.
The correct way to use an IC engine is to start-up and pull away as soon as possible. Running time before reaching normal coolant temperature is when wear and corrosion are at their highest.
It's also the time when the most condensation occurs in the oil.
Short-journey cars often have a milky sludge under the oil filler-cap and overhead camshafts completely coated.
So running my engine for a short time to enable 'Electric mode' is going to exacerbate the oil dilution problem.
2020 Hybrid 4

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post