Puncture Repair

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
DaPa

Post by DaPa »

I had the RAC call out to a puncture I sustained, it was a nail in the tyre.

The nail was approx 1 inch from the side of the tyre in the tread.

He fixed it with a plug.

My question is this a safe way to repair the puncture and will it last?

DaPa

Mark.C

Post by Mark.C »

That is the way punctures are repaired nowadays. All garages do the same.
Grandland X Elite Nav White Jade. Panoramic roof and mudflaps, Nextbase 412 dashcam and an aftermarket reverse camera thats all it needs. :)
DaPa

Post by DaPa »

Mark.C wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:00 pm That is the way punctures are repaired nowadays. All garages do the same.
The RAC advised me that it was guaranteed for 300 miles and no speeds to exceed 60MPH and to get it repaired.

DaPa
Mark.C

Post by Mark.C »

Any puncture o have had has been done this way, and never been told this. Was it a temporary one to get you on your way. Did they take the tyre off of the rim.
Grandland X Elite Nav White Jade. Panoramic roof and mudflaps, Nextbase 412 dashcam and an aftermarket reverse camera thats all it needs. :)
DaPa

Post by DaPa »

Mark.C wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:00 pm Any puncture o have had has been done this way, and never been told this. Was it a temporary one to get you on your way. Did they take the tyre off of the rim.
No, they did not take the tyre off
Vayerr

Post by Vayerr »

DaPa wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:09 pm
Mark.C wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:00 pm Any puncture o have had has been done this way, and never been told this. Was it a temporary one to get you on your way. Did they take the tyre off of the rim.
Sounds like it was just a quick fix to get you going. Proper puncture repair requires tyre to be off. My mum was unlucky to have 2 punctures on 2 occasions - one in each rear tyre.

They took the tyre off, plugged the hole, patched it from the inside with some rubber and then (don't know exactly what it is they were doing) "sanded down" the patch so it looks like it's not there. They guaranteed it will have same lifespan as the rest of the tyre so just need to watch the tread depth. Been going strong for a year without any issues (approx 8k miles?).
Mark.C

Post by Mark.C »

Vayerr wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:37 pm
Sounds like it was just a quick fix to get you going. Proper puncture repair requires tyre to be off. My mum was unlucky to have 2 punctures on 2 occasions - one in each rear tyre.

They took the tyre off, plugged the hole, patched it from the inside with some rubber and then (don't know exactly what it is they were doing) "sanded down" the patch so it looks like it's not there. They guaranteed it will have same lifespan as the rest of the tyre so just need to watch the tread depth. Been going strong for a year without any issues (approx 8k miles?).
Definitely a temporary fix.
DaPa

Post by DaPa »

Mark.C wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:56 pm
Vayerr wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:37 pm

Definitely a temporary fix.
Thank you

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post