1.2T Petrol Grandland / 3 Cylinder Engines - Opinions

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
Vayerr

Post by Vayerr »

Hi,

My mum will be changing her beloved Corsa in the near future for something bigger. She drives often but short distances (around town) and sometimes slightly further. She absolutely fell in love with the new Ford Puma but after seeing my Grandland she's now not sure what car to go for at all - Puma, Grandland or something else.

Could people write down their opinions on the 1.2T Petrol engine that Grandlands have? Pros and cons? Issues you've had or have?

I'm still not convinced 3 cylinder turbo engines are good in such a "big" car or any other car really and feel they won't last long. I mean 1.0T in e.g. Octavia Estate sounds like a complete joke if you think about how much you can fit inside that car and how heavy it can become.

Any opinion and advice is welcome. Thanks.

GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

HI Vayerr

I had a 1.2 puretech in a Peugeot 308 for nearly 3 years and now had it in my Grandland for nearly 2 years and never had any engine trouble. Its perfect for short distances but also has the power to overtake should you need it. I wouldn't say its slow either so it is an upgrade I would say from the Corsa for sure. Its won various awards as well for how good the engine is. Its still relatively new in engine terms but I haven't seen any major issues that you wouldn't expect with any engine. I would get her to test drive one and see if she can have it for either 24 or 48 hours so she can see it for herself as she doesn't want to commit and then not like it. Hope this helps.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Moss5

Post by Moss5 »

Based on your Mum's journey pattern, why not consider a Hybrid 4. We bought one just because most of my wife's journeys are to a town 3-miles away.
You don't have to have a Hi-kW charging circuit, just a 3-pin socket and a 'Granny' cable can be ordered with the car. Save £500 by not having a car that is equipped with fast charging.
A 3-mile journey is not kind to petrol or diesel engines, but suits a hybrid perfectly.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-gene ... cket/67928
2020 Hybrid 4
Dag Hammar

Post by Dag Hammar »

I have my Grandland 1.2 petrol turbo on a personal contract hire lease deal. It is unfortunate that because of the Covid restrictions I have not been able to make as much use of the car as I would have liked to. I took a leap of faith and ordered it without test driving one but I must say I am very impressed with the 1.2 turbo engine, it has more power/ grunt than I have ever needed. I do so few miles that fuel economy is of no concern to me but the trip computer says I’m getting 38 mpg. Considering that I only do short trips I think 38 mpg is pretty good, that’s more than I’ve ever had from any of my previous cars.
So there you have it, one driver that loves the 1.2 petrol turbo engine in a Grandland X.
Vayerr

Post by Vayerr »

Thanks guys. Yeah there's lots of good opinions about those engines but it is still fairly new. I'm just afraid it might not last very long - there isn't that many "long term" reviews or information yet I think. Her 1.4L 75bhp petrol is brilliant and she's very happy with it. I had same model Corsa but 1.4L 90bhp and it was so good. Definitely didn't feel the need for a turbo in it so I'm sure 1.2T will have plenty of power. She just wants a bigger car so we've started looking around so whatever she ends up going for is definitely worth the money and keeps her happy. It won't be car she'll keep for a year or two but likely one she'll drive until it just craps out.

Hybrid / electric is a definite no go because they are way more expensive for starters and you don't really get much benefit from having it. Also like I said my mum doesn't drive far but often so it's much quicker and safer to go and fill up some petrol rather than sit and wait for it to stop charging.

Any other opinions or info you could share on the engine specifically in the Grandland? I think she'll end up going for one. Cheaper than a Puma and Vauxhalls are really nice to drive. Had plenty of cars in the family and somehow always came back to Vauxhall sooner or later, whether it was Vectra, Zafira, Meriva, Astra or Corsa, always brilliant.

On a separate note, ignoring the engines. What cars do you like or would recommend - Small SUV/Crossover and at a reasonable price (second hand up to lets say £15,000)? 3008? Puma? Grandland? Sportage? Perhaps something else?
Moss5

Post by Moss5 »

Vayerr said “much quicker and safer to go and fill up some petrol rather than sit and wait for it to stop charging”
Couple of misconceptions there.
Charging happens overnight while you are sleeping.
Hybrid Grandlands have an IC engine as an alternative to battery power.
2020 Hybrid 4
Vayerr

Post by Vayerr »

Either way they are more expensive. Electrics / Hybrid are far from being a good option for me or my mum. Too much risk with them. Standard petrol for my mum and diesel for me cause I do a lot of miles.
Cyberbob

Post by Cyberbob »

The PureTech has been going some years now and I have not heard of any horror stories with them. Newer engines with the ever more stringent emission regulations have become more complex, simple N/A engines are now a thing of the past. I think the PureTech range overall has proved itself to be more reliable overall then the VAG 1.2 and later 1.0 TSI engines. As soon as you had in a turbo and fuel injection complexity rises. But they have been run for over 150,000 miles without anything more than standard service and only slightly higher oil consumption and higher mpg by 2-3 mpg after over 100, 000 miles.

Be kind to the engine, regular oil changes and service I don't think you will find many issues less the odd pup out there... My lad has a 1.4 16v 95 FIRE engine in his Alfa Romeo MiTO and that is what I call an old school - well built N/A engine if not the most economical!
2021B Grandland X Elite NAV
Vainona70

Post by Vainona70 »

I find the 1.2T petrol engine in my Grandland has enough power, is feisty & fun especially with the Auto box. Previously had Volvo estates with D4 & D5 torquey diesel engines, but now do lower mileage so petrol Grandland suits me perfectly.

All modern engines suffer from bolt on emission lowering tech, which seems to cause most issues these days IMHO.
Grandland X 1.2T 8 speed Auto Tech Line Nav (All Road pack, Park & Go pack 2 and Emergency Spare wheel)
JGG

Post by JGG »

Had my Grandland for 2 years. Engine is absolutely fine. Plenty of grunt. Locally about 38mpg. On a run 47 to 50mpg.
Even with 5 people still responds well.
This 1.2 3cyl. Is far more responsive than our 4cyl Mokka despite both turbo with comparable bhp of 130.
Just wish the DAB radio was as good.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post