Firmware Update

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Deleted User 409

Post by Deleted User 409 »

I must say that the radio/ nav display could be better. I find some of the display unreadable with the pale gray. Things like the clock cannot really be read and the radio station selected box is also very pale. Definitely not as good as the Mokka. As I've only had the car for just over a week, during which time I've had a hoist for the wife's mobility scooter installed and front/rear dash cams wired in ad so I've not looked into maps/firmware updates. Is there a way to check on how up to date the maps are?

Atariman

Post by Atariman »

Just remember to have licence folder in lower case, and have a couple of hours spare to update firmware and maps. Did r12.0 today, it took a good 45 minutes
Grandland X Ultimate 1.2 White
aureldelic

Post by aureldelic »

Hi guys, I have an Opel Grandland and I'm not from the UK, but I am disappointed in Infotainment system, apart from it supporting carplay and android auto, the gray text on a not so good lcd display looks terrible in slight sunlight.
But I wanted to ask, do you get logo of radio stations when tuning with DAB+?
Opel Grandland X, Ultimate + sunroof + alarm, Topaz Blue, 1.6T petrol
edgejedi

Post by edgejedi »

aureldelic wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:24 am But I wanted to ask, do you get logo of radio stations when tuning with DAB+?
No station logos for me.
Jase
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Grandland 2018, Sport Nav 1.2 (130), Ruby Red
aureldelic

Post by aureldelic »

thanks, so it's not region specific, this unit really is subpar for such a great car, I have reached out to my local dealer to try and push this thing up the chain, but I will not get my hopes up.
I can only hope someone can break the protections of the car and firmware and fix some of the basic stuff here, this 5.0 unit is really the weakest link of the car for me... So far..
edgejedi

Post by edgejedi »

Having had issues with my unit previously and having had it fully replaced by VX, I continued to have issues around the unit switching on and off intermittently. Not connection issues, firmware I believe.

Just had my first service and discussed this with the service manager who advised me that VX now have an 'update' to deal with this particular issue. Not sure if it was an update to fix other bugs at all, but the service manager advised me that the update had been applied. Was it a patch or an update - not sure. Time will tell if the unit keeps failing.
Jase
aureldelic

Post by aureldelic »

I myself have had a couple of restarts while connecting Android Auto, but I hope that were isolated incidents, since they are not happening at the moment.
Yours restarted "out of the blue"?

oh, btw, just rememberd to ask, anyone that uses android auto, do you get full screen? I have a black bar on top, small one, while carplay fills the entire screen, don't know if that is android model phone specific...
edgejedi

Post by edgejedi »

Yep mine just (used to) restarted out of the blue. Usually when I was far from home in an unknown location and needed sat nav. I think I cursed it too much lol

I gave up using android auto and just use bluetooth now - it was too fiddly for me and I couldnt be bothered with it.
Jase
Plastivore

Post by Plastivore »

aureldelic wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:14 am thanks, so it's not region specific, this unit really is subpar for such a great car, I have reached out to my local dealer to try and push this thing up the chain, but I will not get my hopes up.
I can only hope someone can break the protections of the car and firmware and fix some of the basic stuff here, this 5.0 unit is really the weakest link of the car for me... So far..
I've seen some discussions about the radio logos on the 3008 forums, and the logos are built into the firmware. The only ones that have a logo in the UK are BBC Radio 1-4, Classic FM and Jazz FM... Though the BBC ones don't work on DAB because the station names don't exactly match the ones on FM. I think that what frustrates me the most is that I have a logo for Classic FM, but not the rest of the stations in my presets list. Otherwise, I wouldn't be bothered.

The only place where you'll get pretty much all the radio station logos is in France. On FM. And while that will trigger OCDs for some of us, I don't find that a deal breaker. I find that besides the missing station logos, and the use of grey in places (though that's an Opel/Vauxhall thing, the interface on the 3008 is high contrast in comparison!), that's a pretty good unit.

I've had a look into getting to the files and see if I could add the station logos, but the files are encrypted. I think the key we get to put in the licence folder might help with decrypting them, but it's a relatively complex process:
  • Data is contained in SQLite files (a file-based database format - quite standard)
  • Files are compressed using GZip (which is standard)
  • Encrypted (I don't know how - though I've heard some people managed to get through it, that's how I got the list of stations)
  • Converted to text using Base64 encoding (to allow file transfer to work over painfully old network protocols - FTP in ASCII mode)
  • Archived in a TAR file (very common, it's just grouping files and folder in one single big file to make it easier to move around)
With all that, no wonder the updates take so long! I am stuck at the encryption bit at the moment.

On that note, if anyone other that Vauxhall, Opel or PSA (by that I mean the Peugeot website) manages to add station logos in there, I'd be VERY wary of downloading the files from them as you don't know for sure what will be in there! You've been warned!
18 Grandland X Tech Line Nav 1.6 Turbo D
Plastivore

Post by Plastivore »

Just to make things clear, I have just successfully updated my unit with the latest Firmware from Peugeot (21-07-16-32_NAC-r0_NAC_EUR_WAVE2). I confirm it still looks the same. I'm now putting the latest maps (12.0.0.0-r0) on the USB stick. :D
18 Grandland X Tech Line Nav 1.6 Turbo D

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post