Stop / Start issues

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Deleted User 409

Post by Deleted User 409 »

Update to S/S issue on my Elite Nav S/S battery problems. Following on from the dealer having the car in at the start of November for a full battery charge I've now done a good couple of weeks doing my usual driving. On the first day S/S worked perfectly, even with the air-con on. I then used the heated seats and steering wheel on a number of occasions and now S/S does not work. The car has now in the last couple of days had the ECO mode again starting to occur when leaving the boot and doors open whilst packing shopping into the car. I've again contacted the service manager regarding this who at first suggested to take it for a good run. Again I pointed out that this would not resolve the problem once the battery was going down in power as I'd done this before. I also pointed out that one would not expect a £30000 modern car to require battery charging because I'm not doing many miles. He did of course agree. I again raised EFB and AGM batteries and that Vauxhall customer services were not interested in changing even when I got to speak to a manager. I also said that they said if I got the change done even by the dealer it would invalidate my warranty. He could not see why.
Anyway, he has request me to email information on the AGM batteries and promised to look into this. I pointed out that I was going into hospital next Wednesday and would not be able to drive for 6 weeks. He said that that was no problem as they could pick the car up during this period and bring it back afterwards. So I've done a cut and paste of the Varta web site with the differences between EFB and AGM batteries and the advantages of the AGM.

Lock-N

Post by Lock-N »

Well my warranty must now be void as they gave me a cheep and Nasty battery a EFB One will be going to the Evenshalshaw Vauxhall dealership Edinburgh to confront the liars who say iv got an AGM one they fitted To show me what EFB Stands for definitely nothing to do with AGM
2019.Vauxhall Grandland X Elite Nav White. 1.2 Turbo Panoramic Roof-Wind Deflectors- Mudguards-window shades-& Side Step

Now got Grandland 2022 White & Black The Facelift model GS Line Wind Deflectors Fitted Rear Sun Shades Mudguards Side Step
Mark.C

Post by Mark.C »

Well mine has been in since yesterday after booking a date a few weeks ago. Anyhow I get a phonecall this afternoon saying diagnostic have shown a fault with the starter and they believe that is what is causing the s/s failure. Aye right !! I asked what state the battery discharge was but they could not answer that. Convenient blaming the starter motor.. means I have to wait at least another five days till that arrives. Worse than it means another five days in the complimentary Crossland.
Grandland X Elite Nav White Jade. Panoramic roof and mudflaps, Nextbase 412 dashcam and an aftermarket reverse camera thats all it needs. :)
Lock-N

Post by Lock-N »

Lock-N wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:01 pm Well my warranty must now be void as they gave me a cheep and Nasty battery a EFB One will be going to the Evenshalshaw Vauxhall dealership Edinburgh to confront the liars who say iv got an AGM one they fitted To show me what EFB Stands for definitely nothing to do with AGM
Update as of Today Now after nearly 6 weeks of not driving I’m back behind the wheel Today My Car was only started once in this time for around 10 mins just to turn engine over .Today did a 36 mile round trip and surprise surprise my stop/start worked fine on way back .So the battery I got fitted an EFB type is doing the job .But I’m still not happy after being told by my Dodgy Dealership Evenshalshaw sighthill Edinburgh iv now got an AGM battery .So should have no more s&s problems .Next Week I’ll take the car to them and as to point out AGM on the battery and see what they say ?
2019.Vauxhall Grandland X Elite Nav White. 1.2 Turbo Panoramic Roof-Wind Deflectors- Mudguards-window shades-& Side Step

Now got Grandland 2022 White & Black The Facelift model GS Line Wind Deflectors Fitted Rear Sun Shades Mudguards Side Step
Deleted User 409

An update relating to my Stop/Start and battery issues.
At the end of November I went in for my total hip replacement op and parked the car in the garage whilst in hospital and the period whilst unable to drive. After coming home from the op I went over to the garage after under 3 weeks and found the battery to be flat. I contacted my dealer and asked to speak to the service manager I spoken to prior to going into hospital about the S/S problems and changing to an AGM battery. Turns out this chap had left and had to go through everything again with his replacement. To cut a long story short he said that Vauxhall will not change the battery for a different one but he could fit an AGM for £260, but I had to get the car over to him. When I said the battery was flat he said I should get Vauxhall assistance to come out. He also said that he did not think that upgrading the battery would solve the problem. So I contacted Vauxhall Assistance and arranged for them to come out the next day. They said that if they got it started that would be it. When I explain I was not allowed to drive for another 3 weeks they said there was nothing they could do. Fortunately I have a very good neighbour who said he could help me out. The next day the RAC came out and when I explained about being told I had been told I did not drive the car enough he said that that was right and many cars these days require this. Anyway he did a full check of the car and said the battery is a good one and went through explaining the results on his laptop. His report stated that due to the members lack of use and driving styles the member was advised to either at first recharge the battery with suitable mains charger and then either use vehicle more often for longer periods of driving time or to seek dealer checks to charge/retest battery to ensure fully charged. He also stated that fitting an AGM battery would just make the period between charging longer. He gave me the pamphlet that they give to someone they've replaced a battery for. In the how to I care for my battery it states:-
Maintain your car's battery power by driving it frequently and for longer periods. If you make regular short journeys consider purchasing a Smart Charger to keep your battery in top condition. Check the lights, radio, and air con are turned off when your engines not running so you don't drain your battery.
My car's battery was fully charged by my neighbor who has a Smart Charger. I have myself bought one of these chargers, (a CTEK), which my neighbour has and apparently the RAC use.
All this seems to me that maybe it's not the battery but the alternator is not able to have enough output to charge the battery on frequent short runs. I think it's all to do with keeping the so called emissions down.

Sorry for the long story but I thought you would find the info interesting. As for the hip op, all is going very well and pain free. Only problem is I've been told the other one is just as bad and needs doing.
Lock-N

Post by Lock-N »

Hi Glad to see your now starting to get over your hip op .After my surgery I never started my car for around 3 weeks started first time but I hade a replacement battery fitted a few days before my op .Now that I’m finally driving iv noticed a big improvement on my S&S sometimes car sits for days first drive s&s works after driving half a mile works a lot more than it use to Just 1 day car sat for 3 or 3 days I drove 50 miles and it never worked then 50 miles home ? Then next morning worked first stop
My battery is not an AGM that the garaged said it fitted .iv just not yet been back to them but I will as iv been seeing how this one actually performs before I raise another complaint with Vauxhall and the garage knew I would not be using my car for 6 or 7 weeks .
I Agree with you about the alternator it’s not big enough to charge the battery and don’t purchase a battery .If the garage are 100% sure your battery is ok .Then why try and sell you one ?

Deleted User 409

I had no intention of paying for a battery. The CTEK charger seemed the best option at around £65 and I will have for use any time on any vehicle. My neighbors did the job for me and I've taken car for a run in which the S/S worked faultlessly. The annoying thing was that when I went to the physio just before Christmas she said that as it was my left hip there was no reason I could not drive. Notified my insurance company and they were fine by it.
Deleted User 409

Omitted to say that my GLX is an Auto.
Lock-N

Post by Lock-N »

Well today used car for 15 mile round trip s&s did not work on the way there .but ok on way home it’s got to be either Battery not getting enough power from alternator or it’s both battery and alternator not fit for purpose.But I get a lot more S&S working now since battery change .Just a pity it’s not an AGM one as cars fitted with this one .Don't have any problems

Lock-N

Post by Lock-N »

Hi Ken I just got a battery charger For £14.97 the one below Also repairs

8 Amp Intelligent Car Battery Charger Pulse Repair Starter 12V/24V AGM/GEL UK

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post