Hill Start

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
Slice

Post by Slice »

Hi guys,

Does anyone have a problem with hill start with the Grandland?
I recently got the Sport Nav (early 2018) and for me using the parking brake on a hill is useless as when you press the accelerator to move off the brake immediately comes off and you roll back! As it's not manual hand brake you can't force it on by holding it up as far as I can tell.

My 2010 Astra would keep the brake on until the car was at clutch biting point which is totally fine- so this is a step backwards (literally ;)).

If instead I use the foot brake: On steep hills after releasing the foot brake, the braking effect remains on for 2 seconds which is fine to allow you to get the bite and drive off, BUT this does not work on shallow hills... it does not auto stay on for 2 seconds on those and the car starts to roll back quikcly even on a small slope before I get the clutch to bite?

Is this what you guys do or is there a fault with the slope detection do you think?

The dealer suggested using the footbrake and the raise the clutch to bite, only then switch to accelerator?

Thanks.

Highlightuk

Post by Highlightuk »

My Handbrake does not come off until I am actually moving, similar to how you would use a manual handbrake
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

Same here, the car has to physically start moving before it releases the parking brake. I also find the hill assist on the foot brake works extremely well on most inclines. The only issue I find is when you reverse with the parking brake on. Maybe it does work the same but it feels as though it won’t release when you try and I don't want to force it.
Slice

Post by Slice »

Hmm thanks for that, seems mine is faulty then it comes off as soon as I touch accelerator.
M previous car was an Astra J and that handbrake worked well only came off when car had the bite and wanted to move.
Also the hill start foot brake doesnt wort on shallow inclines so it rolls (and same in reverse) sounds faulty compared to your cars!
Slice

Post by Slice »

Update, went to have it checked at Vauxhall. They said nothing showed as an error, but the hill assist/breaking system was recalibrated and it was definitely better but not totally fine. So in frustration and even with losing some money in the exchange I traded it in and bought a BMW X1 instead around same age, and similar mileage, and it works perfectly. Works on all hills and slight slopes, whether foot brake only, or parking brake only no issues at all, I get a hill assist at all times as it should be. Not rolled back slightly at all. As a manufacturer, If you replace a manual handbrake with its full driver control ability, and replace with an electric one, you must make it totally cope in all situations.

IN the Grandland I was almost constantly thinking of the damn hill assist situations.

Also the BM works great with nose pointing downhill (the worst case scenario for the Grandland X, we'll mine at least).

Great job Vauxhall.
Simpledriver99

Post by Simpledriver99 »

I am having the same problem. I am dealing with it by keeping the parking brake on by pulling up parking brake button till I feel sufficient thrust from the engine, and then realing the parking brake button. This prevent the automatic release of the parking brake with the slight release of the clutch or slight press of the accelerator.

I found the following information on the Grandlander Manual below which indicate that you can stop the automatic release of the electronic parking brake by pulling the parking button

Vehicles with manual transmission:

Depressing the clutch pedal and then slightly releasing the clutch pedal and slightly depressing the accelerator pedal releases the electric parking brake automatically. This is not possible when switch (P) is pulled at the same time.

Vehicles with automatic transmission:
Engaging D and then depressing the accelerator pedal releases the electric parking brake automatically. This is not possible when switch (P) is pulled at the same time.

It appears that there is a problem with the electronic parking brake with some models.

I found this on the Honest Jones website. See the link below

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post ... tm?t=88354

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post