petrol fuel cap doesn't tighten

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
ARollo

Post by ARollo »

I ask as having just had my one year old car serviced yesterday for the first time, was told that the issue was not covered under warranty as must have been caused by the user incorrectly aligning the cap when screwing it on (obviously I didn't take too kindly to being told that it must have been my fault without any basis for the accusation!). They then proceeded to tell me that to fix what is just a rubber seal that the filler cap screws into would cost £700 as the whole fuel line would need replacing! Let us know how you get on with your change as it sounds pretty scandalous and I will be assessing my options as to whether I should take it to another garage.

Dsrogan

Post by Dsrogan »

Mine goes in for service tomorrow, i am asking for my loose cap to be sorted. Let you know how i go on.
Grandland Elite nav 1.2 auto in Topaz blue with 3rd party reversing camera MY 2018.5
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

So following the service they also have told me that the problem is due to the latching pegs on the filler pipe being damaged and that it will need a complete new filler line to be fitted. They have asked Vauxhall to authorise it under warranty and will let me know, so I am keen to see what they say. I told them it was like this when I purchased the vehicle from them, evident hopefully from this thread. I’ll update you once I hear back from them. I also mentioned I had some noise from underneath the car going over broken road surfaces and they said the drop links need replacing, again awaiting to hear if that’s covered.
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

So after a long wait for the parts to arrive from Germany, I'm happy to say the fuel tank and filler lines were replaced under warranty. Also had the drop links replaced which has cured the annoying noise when going over broken road surfaces.
pringlecrofton

Post by pringlecrofton »

My petrol cap fell to bits when trying to put the cap back in and firstly it was replaced under warranty but when it was put back in it started spinning and wouldn’t tighten now I find it’s the locking lugs are broken and to fix this it requires a new petrol tank.
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

That’s what happened to mine, although I bought the car used and it was like that. Luckily I had it fixed under warranty (as you say they replaced the entire petrol tank!). Needless to say I am now extremely careful with tightening the cap, pretty crap though construction.

Simon
Coatgallou

Post by Coatgallou »

Good to get some advanced warning of a potential problem, will pay extra attention to the fuel cap mechanisms when fuelling.
👍
Tringy

Post by Tringy »

Had my petrol cap sorted at toni levoy Romford they replaced the rubber seal that was missing works fine now only took a year
2018 1.2 auto sport nav topaz blue, panoramic roof, mud flaps,3rd party reversing camera.
Lodwig123

Post by Lodwig123 »

Hi, mine is in for an MOT and failed for the rubber seal not being present.
I can't seem to get hold of it, do you know the part number or even a photo/measurements, so. I know exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post