1.2 Turbo any good?

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

limur wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:58 am Thanks again for your reply. I think I might go for at least a one year warranty, especially as I’m now reading some horror stories about wet timing belts disintegrating resulting in complete engine replacement!
Have you heard anything about this or have any advice?
No problem. The wet Belt issues are very hit and miss. Some members are having issues with their cars and others arent. There has been a recent recall for some cars other forum members have advised to get them checked. Its the same with every car some you are going to get issues others wont. Its better to try and get one with Full Vauxhall Service history as this will help more should you face the wet belt issue.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator

limur

Post by limur »

Yip, I know there's no absolute guarantees when you're buying a second hand car (or even brand new!), and you just have to bite the bullet eventually, but they're just seems to be so many reports of this wet belt problem.
I do have my eye on a 69 plate SRi with low mileage and two vauxhall services which is very tempting, and I have questioned the dealer about the timing belt - he just came back saying it should be changed at 60000 miles (and then tries to sell his 3 year warranty).
I have a habit of keeping my cars for a long time however, so would like some assurance I'm not going to need to replace the engine in a couple of years!
I'll keep badgering him to check the belt and oil filters etc for any signs of damage.
And yes, Vauxhall should be replacing belts on all these cars - have Peugeot not done that to all their cars with this engine?
Thanks
Grandland X 2020 (69) SRi 1.2 (130) Ruby Red
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

You could always ask them to change it if you buy it. It may add a few hundred quid to the price but it should give you peace of mind.
Mine has done about 30K and going really well (touch wood). I don't drive it hard though and look after it, so fingers crossed! I seem to remember you can book a belt replacement service on the Vauxhall site and it's not as expensive as some think. I would assume any replacement now would be guaranteed and without any of the issues that tainted the originals.
limur

Post by limur »

Thanks Midinotes.
I've paid a deposit on a 69 plate with 13000 miles, so hopefully the belt should be in reasonably good condition. I've asked them to check the belt and which oil has been used in the services.
It shouldn't really be down to us, as customers, to pay for new belts before the recommended replacement date (6 years or 100000 miles) in order to pre-empt a known fault in these cars.
I spoke to somebody at Vauxhall customer care who basically said to wait until there's a problem before raising a case! I told them I thought that was ridiculous and they should be recalling all cars with this wet-belt to sort it out, before bits of belt knacker up the engine. She just replied 'there's no recall on 69 plate Grandlands yet, and maybe because this is a 19/20 car it's had its belt upgraded' - sounded like nonsense to me!
I think we should all keep putting pressure on and complaining to Vauxhall for a recall to upgrade the belt (or replace with a chain), and refuse to pay out any money to repair a known design fault.
Grandland X 2020 (69) SRi 1.2 (130) Ruby Red