Wet timing belt disintegrated, new engine required outside warranty

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Gordon Cameron

Post by Gordon Cameron »

I also have been told that I have to get a new engine for my crossland x ecotec only bought it January this year second hand from Peter vardy it is a 67 plate done about 35000 miles not sure what to do about it and will i be stuck with the cost of a new engine

jw021979

Post by jw021979 »

What warranty did Peter vardy give you? I tried looking on their website but unusually they don't tell you.
DaisyJT

Post by DaisyJT »

Hi All

A couple of weeks ago my engine management light came on, followed by the red engine failure stop the vehicle warning the day after.
I booked into Halfords that day to have it plugged into a diagnostic. They said no fault found I need an auto electrician.
Booked into Arnold Clark (who I bought the car from & who I have a service/MOT package with) but they couldn’t see me for another 2 weeks.
A family friend used to work for Vauxhall so he put it on the diagnostic too and again nothing showing but knows of a common fault with ?wet timing belt so checked that out but that also looks fine.
Now the engine is losing oil pressure and he seems to think it’s a problem within the engine or the entire engine and it needs to go back to Vauxhall.

Now this Grandland is a 2018 plate, 30,000 miles and has full service history with both Vauxhall and Arnold Clark.
It’s not book into Vauxhall themselves next week.
The car is also on PCP.

What I want to know is, is this a manufacturing issue? Arnold Clark don’t want to know because I didn’t purchase the extended warranty…
Vauxhall are being shady about the whole thing.
Surely the engine should not be failing after only 30k miles!! I can’t see this being anything else but a manufacturing fault.
It’s obviously out of warranty now so have I got a case against Vauxhall? To at least get them to pay for some of the repairs?
DaisyJT

Post by DaisyJT »

Has anyone had any success with Vauxhall paying for or contributing to the cost of a replacement wet timing belt outside of warranty.

I feel like I don’t want to go down without a fight, given how common this fault appears to be with Grandlands.
2018 1.2 turbo petrol 30k miles.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

DaisyJT wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:31 pm Has anyone had any success with Vauxhall paying for or contributing to the cost of a replacement wet timing belt outside of warranty.

I feel like I don’t want to go down without a fight, given how common this fault appears to be with Grandlands.
2018 1.2 turbo petrol 30k miles.
I would say your best option if you feel your not getting anywhere with your dealership or Vauxhall Customer care is to contact the Vauxhall CEO office.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
DaisyJT

Post by DaisyJT »

I have contacted the motoring ombudsman & watchdog.
They are saying they won’t do anything until I pay for £1000 diagnostic…
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

DaisyJT wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:26 pm I have contacted the motoring ombudsman & watchdog.
They are saying they won’t do anything until I pay for £1000 diagnostic…
Ouch. I have found with the couple of issues I have had the Vauxhall CEO office to be very good.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
DaisyJT

Post by DaisyJT »

Thankyou
Do you know how to find a contact email or phone number? Google isn’t helping much.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

DaisyJT wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:44 pm Thankyou
Do you know how to find a contact email or phone number? Google isn’t helping much.
This is the email address for the CEO office.

Paul.Willcox@vauxhall.co.uk
ACW

Post by ACW »

Hi all, have just joined this forum as I can see some of you are having the same problem I have just encountered.
Grandland X 1.2 auto 2018. 36000 miles.
“Engine problem” with yellow spanner came on so I plodded home. Next time I started the car nothing, until I put foot down to go up hill, then same. Got diagnostics done at local garage they believe it is down to wet belt disintegrating and blocking filter.
He is getting me a quote but will need to buy equipment to carry out repair and told it will cost a lot.
I have contacted my local Vauxhall garage and will need to pay another £90 for them to diagnose before they decide how much to repair.
This should be happening to a car of less than 5 years old with only 36000 on clock. FSH

I will wait until they have decided what they will do to help, but will show them this forum as it seems to be nothing new.
If not satisfied, Mr Willcox can expect an email from me.

Question. If I am paying for diagnostics can I expect a copy for further action.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post