Wet timing belt disintegrated, new engine required outside warranty

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Grandland
Sandwich1987

Post by Sandwich1987 »

Chow123@ wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:16 am @sandwhich1987
Email the CEO of Vauxhall and complain about it. How many miles has it done and what age is the vehicle? Has it been fully serviced?
Have you seen the service bulletin that was sent round to garages?
I have emailed the CEO yesterday, so hopefully hear something this week coming. The car is around 33000 miles. We bought it via pcp at around 12000 and had it serviced at 23000. It’s had an initial service at Vauxhall at 8000 miles then the one at 12000 by Arnold Clark before we bought it. Then we had it service with them as part of a service plan. And where due to get it done again this month before the engine went. They’re refusing to pay 100% because it’s been serviced by Arnold Clark which I find disgusting as they’re happy enough to have theirs and Arnold Clark’s names together over their dealership.

Chow123@

Post by Chow123@ »

Is that the warranty deal that they offered you at the time? Surely as you say if they offer you them then it’s classed as a main dealer??
Say you are aware of the service bulletin that has been sent to garages stating that on customer complaint the wet belt should be fixed. Also I had confirmation from Vauxhall this week that a belt should last for 64K or 6 years whichever is quicker so you are well in that time frame.
Also check your log book to see what oil was put in on the services for the first couple of years. They changed it after a couple of years realising that the oil was making the belt deterioration a hell of a lot quicker than it should have been.
Sandwich1987

Post by Sandwich1987 »

Yeah when we bought the car on PCP at Arnold Clark Vauxhall that was the service plan the offered. Eh you look at the service book it’s only stamped Arnold Clark so i think they are using that as a get out. Yeah they switched to thinner oil on the last service 0W-20. But with no explanation why…. The whole thing is a nightmare!
Chanchan80

Post by Chanchan80 »

Sandwich1987 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:03 pm Yeah when we bought the car on PCP at Arnold Clark Vauxhall that was the service plan the offered. Eh you look at the service book it’s only stamped Arnold Clark so i think they are using that as a get out. Yeah they switched to thinner oil on the last service 0W-20. But with no explanation why…. The whole thing is a nightmare!
If your car has been maintained and serviced by Arnold Clark, you should be covered under their special warrenty. I had to go to through vauxhall as dealership stated I didn't have correct paperwork cos car wasnt serviced by them.
ashleighbirse

Post by ashleighbirse »

Hi there,

Could someone please help me with the email address for the CEO?

Thank you.
bridgered

Post by bridgered »

Currently having this issue with Vauxhall. We bought the car new from Arnold Clarke in March 2021, when leaving the forecourt the car had only 6 miles on the clock. We bought the service package with the vehicle and had the car serviced in April 2022 and May 2023, with the next service being due soon along with the MOT. Around 6 weeks ago the oil pressure light came on, so we took it to Vauxhall who told us the vehicle was out of warranty (only done 33000 miles). because unbeknown to us when we bought it, Arnold Clarke had registered the car in Nov 2020. After numerous arguments with customer service, they have today made me an offer of 80%, which will cost me around £750. I am not willing to pay this as in my eyes, the car should still be within the warranty period (when the fault was reported) and they are trying to wiggle out of it on a technicality. Does anyone know where i can go from here?
Chow123@

Post by Chow123@ »

@bridgered Vauxhall has told me a wet belt should last 6 years or 64,000 miles which ever is first so regardless of whether it is in warranty or not, there is a fault with the wet belts and they are only lasting half the time that they should be.
Check your log book and see if they have been putting the correct oil in as it changed the last couple of years. It is believed the oil they put in to start was not compatible with the wet belt and causing it to degrade at a far quicker rate than what it should do.
Kev8

Post by Kev8 »

Hi. Which Oil would you recommend.
Chow123@

Post by Chow123@ »

Should be 0W20 but they were putting in 0W30 up till a couple of years ago
Rita231

Post by Rita231 »

Chanchan80 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:26 pm Thats great rita231, glad there fixing in full, where did you find the address for the ceo and the service warning letter for 2021?
Send me your email address I'll forward you my email I sent and the service letter and also the address of the office of the CEO also email it to customer care with your customer care case file number.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post