Safety recall Grandland X 2017-18 (Brake assistance)

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
Midinotes

Post by Midinotes »

Received a letter today from Vauxhall for a safety recall on my mid 2018 Grandland 1.2 petrol.
Apparently vehicle may be affected by a loss of brake assistance caused by timing belt particles in the engine oil circuit.
Think we know where this one is going.... Apparently though they will address the issue by updating the software of the car to improve braking assistance! They will also check the vehicle's braking assistance components in case of any damage/clogging caused by deterioration of the timing belt. However... no mention of replacing the timing belt! Rather worrying, but it does go on to say that since December 2020 the timing belt check is integrated into systematic maintenance operations.
Needless to say I'm getting more twitchy about these oil lubricated timing belts in the GX petrol turbo. Car has only done 35K miles since new (June 2018) but at least I guess this acknowledges the fact that Vx are aware of it and are checking it regularly.
So will get it booked in asap to get this looked into.

Simon

Lozzie1955

Post by Lozzie1955 »

Received my recall notice today also, dated 10th Feb! Local Vx dealer (15 miles away) who supplied vehicle says they may need to keep it for " a few days", as parts would need to be ordered, in which time they would not be able offer me a courtesy car from stock as none available, also cannot fit me in for almost 3 weeks! Looking elsewhere....
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Hope you both manage to get them sorted or at least checked for peace of mind. I have received nothing yet for mine yet October 2018 car.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
kimberley-hogg

Post by kimberley-hogg »

I got my letter today for the same issue. Horribly this is exactly what I got for my last car, a Peugeot 3008 and I returned it for the recall was told all is well nothing needed going forward, and got it back and within 3 months it was back in the garage and the belt had been disintegrating into the engine and I needed thousands of Pounds to repair it. Went back and forth with Peugeot for 2 months saying it wasn’t my issue to pay/sort as I had returned it for the recall, my mileage was well below what it needed to be for a timing belt - I’m pretty sure I wasn’t even at 20k. Refused to give me a curtesy car but luckily I borrowed my brothers for the two months and they eventually agreed all repairs would be covered. They needed to remove everything, clean it etc and replace some things. I’m PRAYING this isn’t going to be the case with this one but my stomach has dropped.
Deleted User 265

Post by Deleted User 265 »

Booked mine in today, earliest they could get me in was beginning of April, demand was high apparently.

After speaking with the coordinator she mentioned that if any issues were found during the recall that there's a 'next stage'. Apparently there's a further 14.5 hours of work if necessary. I asked could this be to potentially cover the replacement of the timing belt, she thought so and said depending on what they feel find the state of it is. But there's warranty cover for it under the recall. So let's see...
Jw427

Post by Jw427 »

edgejedi wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:44 pm Booked mine in today, earliest they could get me in was beginning of April, demand was high apparently.

After speaking with the coordinator she mentioned that if any issues were found during the recall that there's a 'next stage'. Apparently there's a further 14.5 hours of work if necessary. I asked could this be to potentially cover the replacement of the timing belt, she thought so and said depending on what they feel find the state of it is. But there's warranty cover for it under the recall. So let's see...
My car is in on Monday 6th as booked in it's MOT + the recall notice too, as I had already seen the Gov recall and notified them, then this Vauxhall 03A recall notice came in. They said they may need the car for a few days if work is required to be done , but need to see it first and asses it after an inspection.

Mine has a full VX service history done by same garage that sold it to me and its original owner. so anything happening after this inspection will be their doing and cost to correct. Also has a second had warranty for life from this dealer. I also have a service plan too, so yet to see if this changes as the 9000 +/- mileage is commented in newer service levels moving forward (I do the latter as I've been working from home 6+ years now)
Topaz Blue (MY2018) Grandland X Elite Nav 1.2t - The last owner ticked most of the extras boxes 8-) 8-)
boyleD1

Post by boyleD1 »

Hi All

would love to know more as our car is a 68 plate and I have contacted Arnold clark and asked the question
GXE

Post by GXE »

FYI to Forum. The recall letter I received is attached. My dealer tells me the recall work was undertaken at the last service in December 2022.

20230227_214855.jpg

20230227_214845.jpg

Lolly-1985

Post by Lolly-1985 »

Hi all,
Just joined whilst I am sat in my 2018 grandland x awaiting the RAC, after having the recall work finished yesterday :evil: . I am not a happy bunny right now.
Had the recall letter late as I've not long had this car. Booked it in and was told 2 days. They had it Thursday 25th May from 9:30 and I got it back Friday 26th at 5:30pm. It was the kingson branch and I was already in the process of complaining. The customer service was appalling. I wasn't given any details of when the expected the car to be ready. The letter said between 1 hour and one day. On collection, I was shown the work and prices on the computer but wasn't allowed a copy so I have no idea what they've done. Was made to feel bad as it cost a lot and they hadn't been paid themselves.
So, back to today! Driving back from the garage yesterday was ok, I did feel it was slightly different but couldn't place it. This morning it started juddering when changing gears. Then it just gave up on me, lost power and "engine fault- repair needed" luckily myself and my young kids were safe but I'm now 3 hours in waiting for recovery. I'm due to go on holiday tomorrow with my kids for half term and I'm currently sat alone, freezing on the roadside not knowing what's going to happen. All I know is Vauxhall are going to get it first thing on Tuesday.
Nathan2504

Post by Nathan2504 »

Hi. Would you mind letting me know on the outcome of this? My Grandland was in with Vauxhall as part of the recall just over a month ago. We were travelling down south on holiday on Friday and the vehicle lost all power. Vehicle recovered back to Vauxhall by the RAC.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post