Buying advice

All Vauxhall Grandland related discussions
Cliffo27

Post by Cliffo27 »

Hi, I have just sold my 2018 Ford Kuga after discovering it had a very common fault with that models engine that required a total rebuild to fix, had I done more research prior to buying I would have known to stay away, there was even a BBC news article all about it 🤦🏻‍♂️

Now I am seriously considering buying a Grandland X (2019, 30k miles, auto, petrol) and just wanted to do my research this time around and ask owners if there are any known issues or common faults I should be wary of? Obviously I know each used car may have its own individual issues but curious to know about issues so common even Vauxhall know about it?

Hopefully this won't end with me be putting off buying one! Thanks in advance

GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Hello Cliffo27 and Welcome to the forum.

The only issue with the petrol models is the wetbelt can fall apart causing major engine issues.

Ask the dealership has the wetbelt been checked?
Ask if you can have a look at the engine. If you unscrew the oil cap you will be able to see a belt and the condition if it looks worn ask them to replace it as most cars built are covered by a special Vauxhall 6 year warranty.

You are always going to get issues with cars as you say. Apart from this there is not any major issues I can think of.
Some cars have managed fine without any wetbelt issues but others have failed.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Grandland Global Forum Moderator
Cliffo27

Post by Cliffo27 »

Well damn, that has certainly put me off! Have now read though lots of wet belt posts on this forum and it all feels very similar to what I read about Ford on the Kuga forum, ie known fault and needing main dealer service history. What brands actually build working engines these days!?
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Cliffo27 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:51 pm Well damn, that has certainly put me off! Have now read though lots of wet belt posts on this forum and it all feels very similar to what I read about Ford on the Kuga forum, ie known fault and needing main dealer service history. What brands actually build working engines these days!?
Thats a shame as they are great cars. Yes there are quite a few posts about the wet belts but compared to how many have been sold since they launched in 2017 it isnt really that bad. I have had mine since 1 year old 68 plate and my belt was replaced this year FOC by Vauxhall but it hasnt put me off the car.
Vauxhall Grandland X 2018 68 1.2 Elite Nav in Moonstone Grey with Intelligrip Adaptive Traction System
Cliffo27

Post by Cliffo27 »

Yes sure I'm just being overly wary but my experience with the Ford means im not once bitten twice shy!

Great you had yours replaced for free, I wonder if you hadn't of had it free whether your view on the car might be a bit different. Even if I get lucky it still seems like I am commiting to a relatively frequent and not cheap routine maintenance just to avoid the issue.
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

Cliffo27 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:24 am Yes sure I'm just being overly wary but my experience with the Ford means im not once bitten twice shy!

Great you had yours replaced for free, I wonder if you hadn't of had it free whether your view on the car might be a bit different. Even if I get lucky it still seems like I am commiting to a relatively frequent and not cheap routine maintenance just to avoid the issue.
Yh I totally get where your coming from.

Tbh If they replace the belt the car should be fine for another 5 to 6 years.
I would have probably still done the work to the car as apart from this issue its a great car. My belt was only just starting to crack therefore I did not experience some of the issues others have faced, I only looked at my belt saw it started to crack and emailed Vauxhall CEO office to make sure it was covered.
PeteW

Post by PeteW »

Hi Cliffo - Just to let you know. I bought a Passat 10 years ago. Joined a forum and every man and his dog has problems with the Passat so much so in the end it became comical, as in, you could post “Where can I buy car mats from” And everyone would go, are the foot wells it’s a major problem, is this not working etc etc etc. in the end I left the forum. Never had a problem with the car in the 10 years I had it. Forums are mostly because someone has a concern with a car rather than to go onto a forum to praise it. The wet belt if you research against how many have been built, you’ll only get the ones where it’s a fault and then seems everyone who owns a car has this problem.

GrandlandX68 Do you have a photo of where to look for this. I’ll go check mine, if it’s under a 6 year warranty. 👍
GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

PeteW wrote: ↑Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:47 am Hi Cliffo - Just to let you know. I bought a Passat 10 years ago. Joined a forum and every man and his dog has problems with the Passat so much so in the end it became comical, as in, you could post “Where can I buy car mats from” And everyone would go, are the foot wells it’s a major problem, is this not working etc etc etc. in the end I left the forum. Never had a problem with the car in the 10 years I had it. Forums are mostly because someone has a concern with a car rather than to go onto a forum to praise it. The wet belt if you research against how many have been built, you’ll only get the ones where it’s a fault and then seems everyone who owns a car has this problem.

GrandlandX68 Do you have a photo of where to look for this. I’ll go check mine, if it’s under a 6 year warranty. 👍
This was mine. Its not bad but they did agree it needed replacing as was starting to deteriorate.

20230615_145134.JPG

PeteW

Post by PeteW »

Thanks GrandlandX68. Didn’t realise you can see it from inside the oil well. What’s the idea behind having a timing belt inside here? (Is it a timing belt?) here’s mine just checked. With the logos still on it, seems it may have been changed prior to buying it in May.

IMG_0436.jpeg

IMG_0435.jpeg

GRANDLANDX68

Post by GRANDLANDX68 »

No problem.
Mine still had the logo like that but check it in a few place once the car has been driven as its not all over sometimes if its only just starting to deteriorate like mine was .